Cersei using Euron as a cover?

Starkblack

I’m inclined to think that Cersei sleeping with Euron was more calculated than just getting her rocks off. Could she be using Euron as a cover for her pregnancy considering her request of Bronn? On the other hand, she claimed the throne with no blowback, so why would she need to?

That's the impression I got from that scene too. It is confusing if so, because she's way past giving a fuck. Perhaps she justs wants to deceive Euron, but I don't get why she'd give a fuck about that either or what the benefit is? To protect the kid if she sees a future with Euron and doesn't want him to kill it cause it's not his? That's the only thing coming to mind.

It seems to me from the scene that Cersei hasn't really thought about claiming Euron is the child's father until he said that he would make her pregnant. She looked "classic Cersei" until this moment but then it was almost visible how her brain started to work. Who knows though.

1 hour ago, The Knight of Flours said:

You would think that with the time needed to sail to Essos and recruit the Golden Company (and the time needed for Dany's armies/Jaime to get to Winterfell), Cersei's growing belly wouldn't go un-noticed by a bed-partner.

oops, there goes me thinking that this episode didn't really have any plot holes (but Jon's ignorance of the lack of LF on Winterfell)

There are cases where women don't even know they're pregnant until they give birth.  There is also the possibility of course that Cersei isn't even pregnant....

The more interesting thing for me is that if Dany was pregnant surely she'd know by now?  Although maybe she has missed periods before......

1 hour ago, Ser Gareth said:

There are cases where women don't even know they're pregnant until they give birth.  There is also the possibility of course that Cersei isn't even pregnant....

The more interesting thing for me is that if Dany was pregnant surely she'd know by now?  Although maybe she has missed periods before......

No sure if this answers your question but...

Spoiler

In the books when Dany flies from Meereen on Drogon and she walks through wilderness, she eats some berries and later she starts to bleed. She is pretty surprised by it and she can't remember her last period. My theory is that she was pregnant although she didn't know about it and the berries cause abortion. But it can also be that she didn't have period for example since getting pregnant with Rheago and the berries caused bleeding (I don't think her periods are even mentioned in the books but this bleeding).

3 hours ago, Daemon of the Blacks said:

Didn't we see Cersei drinking whine? That's rather um...unwise if pregnant 

This confused me as well.  I dont remember her drinking any wine in any scenes after  she found out she was pregnant last season, and well all know that Cersei loves her wine. Do the people of Westeros know the effect that alcohol has on a fetus?  If so her drinking made no sense.

Best I can figure is maybe when Jamie took off the stress on Cersei was so great that she lost the baby.  She blames Jamie for her losing the baby which was the last straw in their relationship and that is why she wants Bronn to take out Jamie as well as Tyrion.

Honestly it makes little sense for Cersei to use Euron as a cover, lets just look at it like this.  Robert was too busy drinking and whoring to care what was going on between Jamie and Cersei, also factor in there were no rumors of incest between the two.  Euron is not Robert, now he could not care less what Jamie and Cersei were doing as long as he was getting his as well.  Cersei announces she is pregnant and Euron is the father now imagine in 9 months the baby is born looking every bit a Lannister, what do you think Euron is going to be doing feeling like he has been cheated out of an heir.  He would use it to his advantage to possible turn the people against Cersei and overthrow her.

Personally, I think Cersei did it because she kinda realizes that Euron is the reason the Golden Company came, why she is still around and kicking, etc. And she is short on allies. I think it was a calculated move.

I don't think she is actually pregnant, hence the drinking of the wine. I think her being upset looking while drinking was the realization that she could become pregnant from Euron, since she isn't actually pregnant now.

I do think Cersei is pregnant. She did refuse wine when talking to Tyrion last season, so they've soft-established that women know not to drink while pregnant, whether they meant to or not. That makes her glass of wine confusing in this scene.

30 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I do think Cersei is pregnant. She did refuse wine when talking to Tyrion last season, so they've soft-established that women know not to drink while pregnant, whether they meant to or not. That makes her glass of wine confusing in this scene.

Maybe the wine was a Westerosi replacement of cigarette after sex?

11 hours ago, Daemon of the Blacks said:

Didn't we see Cersei drinking whine? That's rather um...unwise if pregnant 

In medieval times, wine was safer to drink than water. That’s also why in medieval Britain people only bathed once or twice a year as the water was so polluted. 

Knowing it and choosing to follow it are very different things.  My preggers neighbor smokes non-stop.

I am in team not really pregnant, also.  She did that to sell the idea to Tyrion.

It's possible that LF mass produced his teleporters before he died, but consider how much time must have passed since she was pregnant.  Sam travelled from Old Town to Winterfell (through war zones with a child).  Urine went to Essos and recruited a company of 20,000 (not like those are just sitting around at the docks). An infantry army marched (in winter) from King's Landing to Winterfell (without provisions since Dany toasted them all).

Or time just works really weird in Westeros.  We've kind of seen that many times...

This is exactly what I thought when Qyburn asked Bronn to take care of her treasonous brothers.

I still don't see how Cersei can stomach Euron, but I imagine any coverup will fail.  So many people (handmaids, etc) have witnessed Cersei and Jaime together that there will be no room for error.  Too bad there is no DNA testing then :P   In any case, as always, I doubt it will matter due to the power the Lan's have over everyone so far...

I don't think Cersei cared before if people knew she was pregnant with Jamies baby, but given the state of her and Jamie's relationship and if she really is pregnant and carries it to term she may want people to think its Euron's (if they marry) so that it can be seen as a legitimate heir rather than a bastard. 

Rewatch the scene. Cersei takes a very small sip of wine to throw Euron off of the fact that she’s already pregnant. Then she promptly kicks him out and never takes another drink.  What many are missing is the fact Euron is no fool and a psychopath. He knows what’s up.  Stannis sent the incest info out on the Westeros World Wide Web. Euron has heard the rumors. 

He’s already called Jaime & Cersei on their incest directly to their faces.  Cersei better watch her back because I think Euron could be the Valonqar.  He’s finally gained private access to her past the Mountain after them repeatedly showing the Mountain blocking him access. Almost like Euron was probing for a way to get closer to Cersei.  They’ve shown the Mountain blocking his path too many times.  Feels like foreshadowing  

Also did anyone else notice that Qyburn seemed quite impressed with Euron and for the first time seemed disappointed with Cersei when she brushed off the dead breaching the Wall?  Could Qyburn flip to Euron?  Has he already?  Did Euron send him on the mission to hire Bronn to the kill the remaining Lannisters?  Notice he didn’t want Bronn to kill Dany.  Euron was very impressed with Dany when she landed in the dragonpit.  Also his first words to Cersei was that he wanted to “marry the most beautiful Queen in the world.”  The younger more beautiful queen...  Hmmm.  

I also think him asking her directly about Robert & Jaime was his way of letting her know that he won’t play the fool like Robert.  Him touching her belly was a pregnancy test. Lol. In the books he’s already killed one of his own pregnant salt wives. Why would he hesitate to kill Cersei pregnant with another man’s baby in order for him to seize the throne?  I can see him convincing her to marry him & when word that Winterfell & Jaime (maybe falsely) have fallen & she gets too emotional, he’ll realize the truth & choke her out and seize the throne.  

Or all of this is my personal tinfoil and Arya is the Valonquor and Cleganebowl is the co-main event.  Can we still have Cleganebowl if Euron is the Valonqar?  Who’s Arya gonna kill?  Euron?  It almost seems destined to be Arya or one of the Lannister brothers but I think it’ll be Euron in the books. Maybe in the show too...

Euron is a wildcard, I have no idea what he actually wants.
I do think he genuinely wanted to "fuck the queen", but I doubt he'll be in camp Cersei for much longer. 

"In my experience, the surest way to a woman's heart is a with a gift. A priceless gift."
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up trying to kill Cersei in an attempt to impress Daenerys, the queen he's *really* after. 

Did we ever see Cersei drink the wine?  I don’t remember her drinking.  I think that she was keeping up appearances to everyone until she had to reveal she was pregnant.  That is also why she slept with Euron, she needed someone that wasn’t related to her to be the father.  That look she had as she was walking out of the throne room said it all.  She knew she couldn’t keep her pregnancy a secret for much longer.  She plays a good game at pretending that she doesn’t care if people know she is banging her brother.  But at the end of the day she is about keeping her throne and power.  Rewatch the scene in the throne room.  At the end Cersei stops and is thinking.  She told Euron that she would sleep with him after the war was won, but with the new threat of the army of the dead the war could drag on.  Pretty soon she won’t be able to conceal her pregnancy.  She knows the people would reject her and follow Dany if the truth about her pregnancy comes out.

Archived