Opening Titles and Ending Hints

A.Targaryen

I’m sure we all noticed the change in the opening credits in 801 this evening. I just wanted to call attention to a specific panel on the dial-type thing from the opening. I’m referring to 0:54 in the opening as provided by HBO (below). 

On the Panel (from left to right): a lion, a hanged wolf with knives sticking out its body, and a decapitaed wolf (possibly the lion) with its cut head held by a swordsman. 

Its possible also that the first lion is eating a trout, the animal on the sigal of House Tully. I

To me, there are a few possible theories, both historical and for the future.

1. This panel depicts the Red Wedding. The strong lion, a decapitated wolf — the signs point to a fight between Lannisters and Starks. The hanged wolf also appears to be at The Twins, the location of the event in question.

2. The panel isin’t historical: though GRRM and the show runners love the animal subtexts hidden within each house’s sigil, there’s also another story with a lion: the Azor Ahai Prophecy. We know of a man killing a lion in an attempt to build a sword (Lightbinger) that could end the Long Night. Perhaps Jon will need to build a new lightbringer in order to bring the dawn. 

2b. There’s also something to be said about the rest of the prophecy. Regardless of who the new Azor Ahai will be (if there is one at all), the forging of Lightbringer could also involve a human sacrifice. The story tells that Azor Ahai drove the sword through his wife’s heart in order to build the world’s strongest weapon. Could Jon do that to Dany? Visa versa? 

Questions:

Am I even looking at this right? Did another season do something like this? What else could the pictures depict? 

Let me know below!

48 minutes ago, A.Targaryen said:

1. This panel depicts the Red Wedding. The strong lion, a decapitated wolf — the signs point to a fight between Lannisters and Starks. The hanged wolf also appears to be at The Twins, the location of the event in question.

I'm pretty sure that's all it is, you might be reading too much into it.

The panel you're talking about seems pretty straight forward - sort of. The flayed man holding a wolf head seems to depict Ramsey and Robb, but what is the hanged and stabbed wolf in the arches of the Twins? Another reference to Robb? Seems like overkill.

I am, however, interested in why they chose to depict the red comet in the next panel. I would love to have them talk about why they chose those specific images when the season is over.

1. is the Red Wedding, yes.

I do think Jon will end up putting a sword through Dany's heart as per the legend.

Other significant points re the opening credits - only 3 locations: Last Hearth (new, seemingly quickly overrun), Winterfell and King's Landing. Other places don't feature at all.  And both at Winterfell and KL the focus is on under the ground - the crypts and tunnels at WF and the dungeons below the Iron Throne where the dragon skulls are kept. Most intriguing.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

I am, however, interested in why they chose to depict the red comet in the next panel. I would love to have them talk about why they chose those specific images when the season is over.

I would love them to tells us something about the commet, as I wonder what happened with it. At one point (Book 2, maybe? It's been a while since I've read them) almost every character mentioned the commet but then there were no further comments about it. Is it still there? Has it faded?

But if the panel with lions and wolfs is the Red Wedding or more generally the dead Starks (first Ned killed by Joffrey = lion, then Robb at the Red Wedding and eventually Rickon killed by Ramsay), the red comment at the panel with dragons might be simply that it announced the return of dragons and that's it.

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:

I do think Jon will end up putting a sword through Dany's heart as per the legend.

Me too

Archived