Symbol at the Last Hearth

Did anyone else see the similarities between the symbol that the White Walkers left and the sigil for House Targaryen (especially when it caught fire because it looked a little different than we have seen previously).  It seems like they are trying to say ice and fire are two sides of the same coin.  That the Night King is doing almost the same thing that Aegon the Conqueror did.  That the living have to unite to defeat a common foe, or else history is doomed to repeat itself.

We have seen that spiral before on a rock or something, right? Hopefully they explain why the WWs use all these symbols and the meaning of it all.

It was interesting that the whole thing turned to fire. I see people thinking that the NK could be a targ from whenever ago. Could make sense. 

It does look remarkably similar to a burning three headed dragon. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4KV6asXkAAoVt7.jpg

Though we have seen the symbols before:  

https://pm1.narvii.com/6595/5c92e1897b0c8a31f19fa803408ee07179129a43_hq.jpg

After I saw this I got to thinking that while Sam is searching books the key to victory is not there but in the dragonglass caves on dragonstone in the carvings made by the children and the first men.  They drove the walkers back once before and those carvings were their recorded history.  Now there is probably nobody that can translate the history but it is worth looking into.

I had just thought about this the morning after the episode. They're used the spiral and other symbols before, but it could certainly still relate to the Targaryen sigil. This could potentially fit with a bunch of theories on the Night King.

16 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

We have seen that spiral before on a rock or something, right? Hopefully they explain why the WWs use all these symbols and the meaning of it all.

It was interesting that the whole thing turned to fire. I see people thinking that the NK could be a targ from whenever ago. Could make sense. 

We've seen this from the very first episode after they kill the wildlings. They arrange the bodies in the same pattern. 

It's a sun wheel. It's originally a symbol created by the Children of the Forest. In real life, symbols like this are associated with comets. The swastika is one such. 

It says in the Beyond the Episode that the symbols are 'ancient symbols of the CotF, used in their rituals and the CotF created the white walkers.'

So the symbols are magical and it seems to me specifically have something to do with magically imbuing humans. The NK is either saying 'check it out, this is how we got magic' or 'check it out, I'm trapped in frozen turmoil coz of this shit right here.' or something similar.

I think Jon totally misinterpreted the cave painting last season when he explained them to Dany - the paintings weren't showing that CotF and humans fought together, it was more like a recipe - mix humans with children magic, via these symbols and get these blue eyed dudes.

Re the Targs, as I mentioned in the other thread, it is likely that all magic bloodlines in the show go back the when the NK was originally imbued somehow - that there were no magic humans, no death cheating humans and no dragon riding humans before that point. Some of the house symbols may be based on the CotF magic symbols as a kind of forgotten memory of what made them special or magical way back when.

28 minutes ago, ummester said:

It says in the Beyond the Episode that the symbols are 'ancient symbols of the CotF, used in their rituals and the CotF created the white walkers.'

So the symbols are magical and it seems to me specifically have something to do with magically imbuing humans. The NK is either saying 'check it out, this is how we got magic' or 'check it out, I'm trapped in frozen turmoil coz of this shit right here.' or something similar.

I think Jon totally misinterpreted the cave painting last season when he explained them to Dany - the paintings weren't showing that CotF and humans fought together, it was more like a recipe - mix humans with children magic, via these symbols and get these blue eyed dudes.

Which is why they require human children (read: Craster's sons) to reproduce. Child sacrifice was part of the Pact. 

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I looked at the clip of Bran's vision with the three-eyed raven, where Bran was shown how the first WW was created. The Pattern is there, radiating fromthe spot where the human is transformed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZFBy0zF50

It's also at the Fist of the First Men when they kill the horses. 

I know that they have used the symbol before.  I’m just saying that when it went up in flames it reminded me of the Targ sigil.  It made me think of the last time Westeros was invaded, the Seven Kingdoms didn’t fully unite and put aside their petty differences and feuds and look where it got them.  Conquered and defeated.  Only this time if they do not unite, they will be dead.  Game over, no redos, no save/check points.  Also maybe the only place in Westeros that will be somewhat safe is Dorne (Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken).  

1 hour ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

Did anyone else see the similarities between the symbol that the White Walkers left and the sigil for House Targaryen

Yes, the similarity between the spiral symbol used by the White Walkers and by House Targaryen has been noted before.

The Children of the Forest used symbols with a magical meaning. Two symbols are predominant in the show: The circle divided in half and the spirals. 

The spiral symbolism used by the White Walkers relates directly to the spirals used by the Children of the Forst.. The first White Walker was created surrounded  by such a spiral symbol. We have seen the scene from the air, when Leaf pushes the dragonglass dagger into the First Man.

However, while the spirals seem to be somehow related, I don't think that there is any direct relation between Targaryens and the Children of the Forest. For the sake of the final season, I just interpret the shown flaming spiral as symbol for the White Walkers and the Children of the Forest.

Wen Daenerys saw the many-armed spirals on Dragonstone, she did not relate them to the three-armed Targaryen symbol.

Please read the full post.  I know they have used the symbol before. I know the White Walkers and Targaryens are not connected.  I am implying that the Kingdoms need to fully come together to stop the invasion from the army of the dead.  There are similarities between the current invasion and the last invasion of Westeros (Aegon the Conqueror).  That is all.

Archived