Symbol at the Last Hearth

10 minutes ago, tallTale said:

The symbol is from:

Reveal hidden contents

The Weirwood Heart tree at The God's Eye / Isle Of Faces. From top view it looks like the spiral "hurricane" 

I'll go one step further. It's a Fibonacci spiral. I still think it looks more like a comet symbol, but a golden ratio or Fibonacci spiral is more representative of balance and harmony in nature. 

I also think that with the spiral shape it is also saying that what you do and the decisions that you make here and now will have a impact on the rest of the world and the future.  Hence even the spiral shape of the Targaryen sigil.  Learn from your mistakes and make the right choices or all will be lost.  Right now they are in the center of the spiral, if they continue to branch out because of petty/insignificant differences the world that they know will cease to exist. Jon Snow is one of the only characters that knows/ sees this.  Will it really matter who is king or queen if everyone is dead.

2 hours ago, Magnamax said:

I had just thought about this the morning after the episode. They're used the spiral and other symbols before, but it could certainly still relate to the Targaryen sigil. This could potentially fit with a bunch of theories on the Night King.

I know the theories that the NK is Bran or Jon or Bran the Builder and so on (all Starks).  I know of no theories that the NK is a Targaryen.  Can you point me to where I might find this, or share the theory?

I don't get why people think the Night King is a secret Targaryen just because ONE of the symbols he leaves as a message vaguely resembles the Targaryen sigil. We already know this symbol is a symbol of the Children of the Forest. I thought most people knew that The Night King is at least 8,000 years old (give or take a few) and the Targaryens appeared thousands of years later on Essos. The Targaryens had nothing to do with the Long Night last time. They were also only one of 39 dragon riding families, and far from the most powerful.

On the contrary, i'm pretty sure The Night King is a Stark! Hence this foreshadowed connection with the crypts of Winterfell.

Tbh I wonder if there is significant meaning that there was a child that had been turned to wight at the centre of the spiral this time. We’ve seen the symbol before, apart from when the night king was turned, the other times haven’t had something at the centre of it.

The cynic in me says because they were really ramming home that whole black mirror Ep1 thingy and it gave them a visually interesting way to end the scene.

The fan boy says the NK is trying to communicate a message of terror and this fits the bill.  He may not even remember what the symbol meant at one time.  It would be funny if it actually meant, "Have a nice day"

I hope we get payoff on these things, but there are 5 eps left and we have like 100 dick jokes left, 421 boobs left and about 697 minor characters to kill off.

26 minutes ago, legba11 said:

The cynic in me says ... it gave them a visually interesting way to end the scene.

This. I don't trust the show when they put things in because they don't put the care into it that GRRM does. That's not shade, it's just how it is. I trust that when GRRM puts something on paper, it's for a reason. The show is a different medium and it values visual interest over substance a lot.

I'm not saying it doesn't mean anything, it's just that I don't like speculating with show only information. I've found it unreliable in the past.

4 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

This. I don't trust the show when they put things in because they don't put the care into it that GRRM does. That's not shade, it's just how it is. I trust that when GRRM puts something on paper, it's for a reason. The show is a different medium and it values visual interest over substance a lot.

I'm not saying it doesn't mean anything, it's just that I don't like speculating with show only information. I've found it unreliable in the past.

I think it will mean something, since we saw it in the first episode....back when the show had subtext and subtlety.  And we saw it again in the Mance scene.  

5 hours ago, Moon of My Life said:

I don't get why people think the Night King is a secret Targaryen just because ONE of the symbols he leaves as a message vaguely resembles the Targaryen sigil. We already know this symbol is a symbol of the Children of the Forest. I thought most people knew that The Night King is at least 8,000 years old (give or take a few) and the Targaryens appeared thousands of years later on Essos. The Targaryens had nothing to do with the Long Night last time. They were also only one of 39 dragon riding families, and far from the most powerful.

On the contrary, i'm pretty sure The Night King is a Stark! Hence this foreshadowed connection with the crypts of Winterfell.

I don’t think that he is a secret Targ.  I think it was his way of saying that he was going after the Targs because they are the key to defeating him once and for all.  As I stated before , the spiral (the sigil of the White Walkers) is another “wheel” that Dany, and Jon, will break once and for all.

11 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

I also think that with the spiral shape it is also saying that what you do and the decisions that you make here and now will have a impact on the rest of the world and the future.  Hence even the spiral shape of the Targaryen sigil.  Learn from your mistakes and make the right choices or all will be lost.  Right now they are in the center of the spiral, if they continue to branch out because of petty/insignificant differences the world that they know will cease to exist. Jon Snow is one of the only characters that knows/ sees this.  Will it really matter who is king or queen if everyone is dead.

I don't think it is any of this tbh. The symbol predates the Valaryan empire by at least a 3,000 years. It predates Dragons. 

Jon Snow knows nothing. 

In all likelihood, it's denotes a celestial event, such as a comet. Celestial events can be witnessed by all the people that populate the planet (unnamed) that Westoros/Essos/Sothoryoss  is on. 

Similarities from ancient civilizations might exist because they all witnessed this same event.  

At best it probably represents the dawn of a new age. 

What's at stake is who gets to shape this "New Age". 

16 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

Which is why they require human children (read: Craster's sons) to reproduce. Child sacrifice was part of the Pact. 

Yea, possibly.

There seems to be an assumption the CotF made the Walkers as weapons because Leaf says 'We were at war. We were being slaughtered. Our sacred trees cut down. We needed to defend ourselves.' Bran, 'from whom?' Leaf 'From you. From men.'

It never directly says they made the walkers as a weapon. They could have been trying to achieve something else. Magic men up so they liked trees and stopped cutting them down, or something. It's possible that the Walkers are the pact, or the product of the pact.

15 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

I'll go one step further. It's a Fibonacci spiral. I still think it looks more like a comet symbol, but a golden ratio or Fibonacci spiral is more representative of balance and harmony in nature. 

Yea, exactly like that. The walkers are the embodiment of some kind of natural balance and for whatever reason it is out of sync - people north of the wall, dragons, Jons birth - who knows. But I think we will find that the Walkers are happy to just leave things alone once their pact/balance is restored.

8 hours ago, legba11 said:

The fan boy says the NK is trying to communicate a message of terror and this fits the bill.  He may not even remember what the symbol meant at one time.  It would be funny if it actually meant, "Have a nice day"

I hope we get payoff on these things, but there are 5 eps left and we have like 100 dick jokes left, 421 boobs left and about 697 minor characters to kill off.

It's a magical smiley face :)

Most of the minor characters are in Winterfell, so if that falls to zombies you can take them out in a single episode. Then, any surviving women can run away naked and hit the boob quota - just need 210 women with two boobs and 1 with 1. In despair at the absolute destruction of the human race Tyrion could moan, "at least I still have a dick" 100 times. 

That leaves three episodes to just focus on the Night King :D

When I originally saw it, it reminded me of the triskelion. Obviously they're not the same design but that's what sprung to my head. As for what it means? Could be anything from a dire warning to "lol we were here" to "Nah nah nah boo boo" or something.

6 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

I don’t think that he is a secret Targ.  I think it was his way of saying that he was going after the Targs because they are the key to defeating him once and for all.  As I stated before , the spiral (the sigil of the White Walkers) is another “wheel” that Dany, and Jon, will break once and for all.

But the symbol appeared thousands of years before Targaryens and Dany’s “wheel” speech. It’s a Children of the Forest symbol we saw at the Weirwood tree before The Night King was made. More likely the symbol represents the cycle of life and death or something, or rebirth. The Iron Throne is so new and simply not important to the Children of the Forest. 

Archived