RIP Gene Wolfe

Werthead

40 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Damn. I haven't read that much of Wolfe, but I spent a few days last summer totally engrossed with Latro In The Mist. Truly a great writer and a fantastic storyteller.

RIP

Just found my copy of Latro the other day.  Going to pop a can of pringles and read some tonight in remembrance.  RIP GW

After coming back to the States for college, I remember picking up The Claw of the Conciliator at The Big Bookstore and, upon reading it, realizing that this was the sort of book to which I could actually apply the ideas and concepts I was learning in my literary criticism class. Once I finally realized that he was writing of a Vanceian milieu, my mind was really blown.

Probably my favorites among his books, however, were Solider of the Mist and Soldier of Arete. Wonderful in their conception, they put me exactly into that spot where I, too, saw the world new everyday as a Greek soldier of the classical world having suffered a head wound and unable to form new memories.

We had a re-read of The Book of the New Sun led by Fragile Bird going on here in this forum that ended after the third book - I wish it had continued.

Peace, the first two Latro books, The Book of the New Sun, and the Book of the Short Sun are all classics.  Many of his short stories are also excellent. The giant collection of his short stories released a few years back is definitely worth getting . I don't think I've read a bad Wolfe book; even the ones I didn't enjoy as much (Live Free Live, the Wizard-Knight, Pirate Freedom) have been thought provoking at the least, and his prose always makes reading him worthwhile. What an author he was! 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:26 PM, Triskele said:

I enjoyed this write-up.

Torn between trying Latro or Short Sun next.  

Thanks for this great article. I'm not Catholic at all, but there's no denying that Wolfe's Catholicism is a beautiful element of his fiction.

You can't go wrong with either Latro or the Short Sun- I'd say it depends on if you're in the mood for a historical fantasy or a sci-fi fantasy.

Archived