Thoughts on the Dragons eating

btfu806

Dany makes a comment about how the dragons are not eating much. Do we think this was a scene just to explain why Dany and Jon are going to see the dragons (which seems odd and not needed). Or is it D&D trying to foreshadow that when two dragons face one dragon, that's why they are losing (assuming they can't hold their own to the ice dragon). Or, something else completely different?

I'm hoping that it was just a lead in to see the dragons.  I'm worried that it will lead to the dragon's eating something that crosses the line with the northerners (a person), the audience (please not Ghost!!!!!!), or some other bad omen (being to weak to fight, refusing to stay in the north, etc).

1 minute ago, willowbark said:

I'm hoping that it was just a lead in to see the dragons.  I'm worried that it will lead to the dragon's eating something that crosses the line with the northerners (a person), the audience (please not Ghost!!!!!!), or some other bad omen (being to weak to fight, refusing to stay in the north, etc).

Or the other way, it's an excuse so we aren't surprised when neither eats somebody's child again. Let's be honest here, Dany might not have liked the slavery part of the Essos culture but she escaped a major backlash after the baby eating incident due to the Essosi way of life. 

Well, the dragons not eating enough provides multiple input: First of all, 18 goats and 11 sheep are not that little. The dragons consume a lot. That's worth noting. Secondly, it is an introduction for us to see the dragon scene. Thirdly, it shows that Ice and Fire do not go well together, quite metaphorically. Dragons don't feel well in the North.

4 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Well, the dragons not eating enough provides multiple input: First of all, 18 goats and 11 sheep are not that little. The dragons consume a lot. That's worth noting. Secondly, it is an introduction for us to see the dragon scene. Thirdly, it shows that Ice and Fire do not go well together, quite metaphorically. Dragons don't feel well in the North.

If they are not doing well because of the cold, considering they have a molten core in their bellies, it makes the Unsullied and the Dothraki's dismissal of the harsh cold of the North - especially the long winter - all the more incredible :bowdown:

For my part when I heard them say that the dragons weren't eating very much, my initial impression was that they weren't eating because they were in mourning over Viserion's death.  Now Daenerys blames the cold of the North, but I question whether she is correct in that assessment.  I likely am wrong in my assessment, it's hard to keep track of how much time is passing.  So while this is the first time we've really mentioned the dragon's eating habits since Viserion's death, it's entirely possible they were eating just fine after his death and only recently stopped.  But it seems just as likely that they haven't been eating as much ever since and this is just the first time it has become apparent to Daenerys.

Viserion died weeks, if not months ago in show-time, so I doubt it's related to that.

It just probably a way for the show to tell us that the dragons don't like the cold (and why would they, they are "fire made flesh") and as a way to introduce us to the dragons and the following dragonride(s).

The dragons could supplement their food intake, and reduce their burden on the stores of Winterfell, by hunting some for themselves.  After all, we know they can cover a lot of territory in a short time.  They could range south or even out to sea and be back in no time.

And maybe they are a bit down due to their current surroundings and/or missing their sibling a bit?  I could buy either of those explanations, I guess.   

Archived