Aerea Targaryen

Legitimate_Bastard

Some questions I have regarding Aerea and Balerion and their trip to wherever...

1. Where did Balerion take her? I know we have no way of knowing, but what do people think?

2. What could have wounded Balerion like that?

3. Does the date 'thirteenth day of the fourth moon of 56 AC' have any significance?

4. Why was Aerea saying "I never"?

5. Why did Benifer and Barth prevent even the monarch from seeing her? 

6. What were the things/worms within her body, and what was the burning/heat related illness that killed her?

7. Why did they burn her corpse so soon after her death?

Is there a connection between these events and the gradual decrease in dragon size/birth?

Is it possible that Aerea had contracted an adolescent Fire Wyrm? Could Barth and Benifer have been trying to prevent the spread of the wyrms to the other Dragons and inadvertently infected the dragon population which then ushered in the eventual extinction?

Tinfoil probably.

Also, was it even Aerea that this happened to? Or was it Rhaella?

Thoughts? What does everyone else think?

1. Probably Valyria. Although we have no definite information, I can't think of anywhere else that could be so deadly and yet might draw in either Balerion or his rider.

2. I'm guessing another dragon or possibly a firewyrm.

3. No idea. It could just be a specific date to provide some "historic" verisimilitude.

4. No idea.

5. To spare his feelings?

6. I think they were the souls of Valyrians who died during the Doom and were trapped in the arcane "residue" until Aerea cut herself somehow and they were able to bond with her blood and begin attempting to rebuild bodies for themselves using her substance as fuel.

7. Wouldn't you?

8. I doubt it. I think they were being poisoned by the maesters.

And a question of my own, if it isn't too bold-

9. Why the long gap between her leaving on Balerion and returning? Did she survive on Valyria for that long, was she somewhere else for a time? How old are Balerion's wounds and how long has Aerea been infected?

1 hour ago, hiemal said:

And a question of my own, if it isn't too bold-

9. Why the long gap between her leaving on Balerion and returning? Did she survive on Valyria for that long, was she somewhere else for a time? How old are Balerion's wounds and how long has Aerea been infected?

Good point. A year is a long time. Makes me consider Asshai, too. Balerions wounds are described as 

Barth's accounts describe wounds and half-healed scars on Balerion. The dragon bore a huge jagged rent down his left side, almost nine feet long, and fresh blood still dripped from the wound, hot and smoking. Barth speculated that, when Aerea claimed Balerion, she was unable to bend the dragon to her will, and instead the dragon had taken her to the place he had been born, Valyria.

From the Wiki

Some wounds seem fresh, others much older.

If Aerea had failed to bend Balerion to her will, would he not just have scoffed her down?

I find all this so fascinating.

2 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Unclear, obvious something as dangerous or more dangerous than he is.

'I never should have gone to Valyria', most likely. I don't think she was forced to go there, I think she had no goal and allowed Balerion to go where he wanted. After all, she had no reason to go to any place in Westeros considering her last interactions with her mother and aunt.

6. What were the things/worms within her body, and what was the burning/heat related illness that killed her?

Unclear. We are not supposed to know. Doubt it has anything to do with firewyrms, considering that Barth is an expert on them and never indicates they Aerea's creatures have anything to do with firewyrms.

I think chances are pretty good that it was actually Rhaella.

17 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Good point. A year is a long time. Makes me consider Asshai, too. Balerions wounds are described as 

Some wounds seem fresh, others much older.

If Aerea had failed to bend Balerion to her will, would he not just have scoffed her down?

I find all this so fascinating.

It seems pretty clear that they must have gotten along as well as Dany and Drogon do in ADwD. They would have lived and hunted together, and they would have spent a lot of time in Valyria if we assume that Balerion flew back directly from Valyria to KL - which his still bleeding wounds imply.

If Balerion was irritated or annoyed by Aerea then he wouldn't have brought her back, he wouldn't have suffered her on his back, and he wouldn't have saved her - which he likely did - from the creature(s) that had hurt him. In fact, it is also quite clear that Aerea would have never gotten to Valyria had she not insisted to stay with Balerion considering the distance involved makes it clear that this couldn't have been a non-stop flight when they flew there (the flight back might have been one such considering that Balerion likely fled and was injured). The dragon would have to land, feed, sleep, etc., so a lot of chances for Aerea to flee, before and after she arrived in Valyria.

8 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

1. Where did Balerion take her? I know we have no way of knowing, but what do people think?

Valyria is the most likely, although she might have gone to the far east, 

a lot can wound a dragon, there might be a lot of creatures walking in Valyria.

5. Why did Benifer and Barth prevent even the monarch from seeing her

Maybe they think the sickness might be contagious or they didn't want the King and queen to see their daughter in such state.

I think this is both, the worms is the one bringing illness that killed her.

well, she's sick with unknown disease so it's only logical to dispose of the body after death, and burning the body is common to Targaryens.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:26 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Some questions I have regarding Aerea and Balerion and their trip to wherever...

Old Valyria

Only another dragon

3. Does the date 'thirteenth day of the fourth moon of 56 AC' have any significance?

No

To keep what they saw secret

Firewyrm larva stage

They think the disease is infectious

Is there a connection between these events and the gradual decrease in dragon size/birth?

No

Is it possible that Aerea had contracted an adolescent Fire Wyrm? Could Barth and Benifer have been trying to prevent the spread of the wyrms to the other Dragons and inadvertently infected the dragon population which then ushered in the eventual extinction?

No.  Balerion didn't get infected and he was in contact with Aerea

Tinfoil probably.

The ruins of Valyria is to fire what the land of always winter is to the north.  The extreme.  We do not know what lives in the fringes of the known world.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:49 PM, hiemal said:

Because it's long distance.  Balerion might have had other places he wanted to visit.  A year is not a long time for a dragon. 

10 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Because it's long distance.  Balerion might have had other places he wanted to visit.  A year is not a long time for a dragon. 

That would raise even more questions.

Archived