What kind of weapon will Gendry make for Arya?

Lot Seven

14 hours ago, Lot Seven said:

So, summarising: it’s probably a double headed spear, which can be detached. Makes sense as she did fought the waif like that before. Could be to kill a dragon with, although I somehow don’t really see that happening… That would mean that she needs to throw it very far, like the Night King did? If she could get close to dragon, she wouldn’t need such a weapon, and could just use Needle… Ideas?

I do really think the weapon is for herself, given that before her the Hound also “ordered” a weapon from Gendry.

I think your right bet the detachable part is her valaryan dagger on one end. 

On 4/16/2019 at 9:11 AM, ValarMorghulis1990 said:

The kind of 'cold' welcome with each character followed by the thaw fairly immediately after. Same with Bran & Sansa last season. Jon, Gendry and The Hound (granted, understandably) in this episode. Just feels like she's been majorly over-characterised. 

She’s pretty fucked up. She was turned loose in the world after seeing her dad executed at a very young age, then to learn how to get along from the hound and the faceless men.  

On 4/16/2019 at 6:24 AM, Aniel said:

My first thought was that it was some sort of projectile, but then I realized it's a bit too high-tech for Gendry to pull off in such a short amount of time. A staff with two pointy ends though... She trained with staves with the Waif, it gives her a better reach than Needle and Arya does need a longer reach. Depending on the material of the rest of it I assume she would also have more defensive capabilities.

But basically she's making a weapon with two pointy ends. And she can turn it into two weapons with one pointy end! Remember, stick them with the yada yada.

A wepon that can serve as a stave and a spear does sound great for Arya. Although in the picture, the only wrote drangon glass by the top point. Curious. 

9 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

A wepon that can serve as a stave and a spear does sound great for Arya. Although in the picture, the only wrote drangon glass by the top point. Curious. 

Yeah, it's a stave -- because that is what she trained with at the faceless men. She adds dragonglass to one end. The mystery is the other end...

3 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Yeah, it's a stave -- because that is what she trained with at the faceless men. She adds dragonglass to one end. The mystery is the other end...

Well, I imagine time will tell, assuming Gendry can make it. (We GoTers are so impatient :D) There is  a great meme about that, have you seen it? I tried to post the link, but it didn't work.

11 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

There is  a great meme about that, have you seen it? I tried to post the link, but it didn't work.

No, haven't seen it. 

But I noticed the interview with the weapon's artist and he stated he prepared a "showstopper", an unique weapon, being able to reverse-engineered (disassembled). Sounded like all his pride went into it. So yes, it most probably will be sort of a stave and dragonglass blade/point/dagger combined.

5 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

No, haven't seen it. 

But I noticed the interview with the weapon's artist and he stated he prepared a "showstopper", an unique weapon, being able to reverse-engineered (disassembled). Sounded like all his pride went into it. So yes, it most probably will be sort of a stave and dragonglass blade/point/dagger combined.

If you want to see it, there is a Facebook page called Game of Thrones memes. It's on there. Pretty funny.

Arya has always been cold and complicated/distant to try and talk to when it came to her siblings look at early episodes.

I know people who seem standoffish whenever I meet them, as they need those first few words to settle.

She is obviously over thrilled to see Jon look at the moment he passed her by coming into Winterfell you could see her change her mind  in a split second about shouting " Jon" due to that doubt of what if he isn't as happy to see me as I am him.

This was also evident when she approached him... for all she knew he might not be the same person he was when he left... in fact her asking about being stabbed was most likely to see if death has changed him.. but then his reply was so Jon.. that she automatically dropped her guard.

As for the weapon that all depends on if Arya shares she is experienced now with the bowstaff or not, if she doesn't mention it I imagine a dragonglass needle. IF she does then a bowstaff with two daggers on each end made of dragonglass to cut them down.

Arya imo has designed a weapon based on a legend she heard of Old Nan, or D&D got it from a quick search in the books, or George pointed it out to them. It's the weapon of Symeon Starry Eyes. In the books this legend is mentioned in aGoT. Bran mentions it to maester Luwin.

"There was a knight once who couldn't see," Bran said stubbornly, as Ser Rodrik went on below. "Old Nan told me about him. He had a long staff with blades at both ends and he could spin it in his hands and chop two men at once."
"Symeon Star-Eyes," Luwin said as he marked numbers in a book. "When he lost his eyes, he put star sapphires in the empty sockets, or so the singers claim. Bran, that is only a story, like the tales of Florian the Fool. A fable from the Age of Heroes." The maester tsked. "You must put these dreams aside, they will only break your heart." (aGoT, Bran VII)

5 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Arya imo has designed a weapon based on a legend she heard of Old Nan, or D&D got it from a quick search in the books, or George pointed it out to them. It's the weapon of Symeon Starry Eyes. In the books this legend is mentioned in aGoT. Bran mentions it to maester Luwin.

Oh, that's a GREAT spot, sweetsunray. A detail I'd long forgotten, but does seem to be the key. It's just the sort of weapon to be used in Syrio's Waterdance.

1 hour ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

The Symeon Star Eyes parallel was made when she lost her sight in Braavos and the waif made her fight with a bow staff. I can see it coming back but I don't know, this weapon feels too important just to be duel bladed staff right?

Yes, that parallel was alraedy set-up in S6 and in the books in Arya's chapter The Blind Girl when she uses a staff to defend herself against the Kindly Man beating her with his stick while she's about her other tasks. Except the staff at that time-period isn't duel bladed. In S6 we also saw Arya luring the Waif into a confined place, where she put out the candle and ended up killing the Waif. She put herself purposefully in a "being blind situation". She used Needle then, as she only had to face one opponent, and Needle being longer than the Waif's knife was enough.

For the fight to come, Arya will have to face multiple opponents, all which she would have to use dragonglass on in order to kill them and long enough to keep distance between herself and the opponents. So, combining her staff use ability, with both pointy ends made of dragonglass makes sense. Or to be more precise, it looks like one end will have the dragonsteel dagger and the other end made of non detachable dragonglass. That makes it a multi-distance weapon. She can detach the dagger to kill an opponent who managed to get closer than the staff distance, and so not end up being killed like the Unsullied in Mereen (the episode when Selmy died). But she can also detach it to throw the staff like a spear if she has a perfect shot to do so.

My guess is that Arya intends to lure the enemy into a confined space, a dark place, where she can still see the opponent because of their blue eyes, but they cannot see her, except smell her warmth (or something along those lines). The confined space would control the flow of enemies, and she can dispatch of them safely at a safe enough distance.

Archived