Sign in to follow this  
hiemal

Strange Fruit and Mirror People: A Couple Minor Tinfoils

Posted (edited)

Neither worth an entire thread, but still worth at least a mention?

Strange Fruit: The Literal Children of the Forest

What if Children are the "seed"-bearing fruit of the weirwood trees? What if the roots we see growing from the greenseers in Bloodraven's cave aren't growing into their bodies but out of?

This would explain the bloody appearance of the paste that Bran is given without resorting to Jojen.

It would explain the significance of sacrifice- the First Men seeing them preparing a "seed' for planting would probably be misinterpreted?

I can't think of any way it would really impact the story or even be really "testable" but it seems like GRRM might played around with ideas like this in his Tuff Voyaging series so I thought it worth bringing up...

The Yellow Emperor and the Mirror People

Not an expert in Chinese mythology but I recently stumbled on the legend of the Yellow Emperor and the mirror people: basically in the ancient past people from the Mirror World invaded ours and were only stopped by being the legendary Yellow Emperor who used his magic to imprison them for 10,000 years. During this imprisonment the lowest ranking members of the mirror folk must take on human form and mimic the actions of people who look into the mirror. The flash of light a person sometimes glimpses out of the corner of their eye is related to the seal that keeps them imprisoned and on the day that it is no longer seen the mirror people will be free to invade once more.

OK- so we know that there are are/were Yellow Emperors in Yi Ti and what I'm pondering is the Wall as the "Mirror" that divides the two worlds, the White Walkers being the members of the Others' race that mimics humans, many descriptions of light flashing or glistening on the Wall, and the long time spans involved. It seems possible to me that this legend might have been one of the threads woven into lore of Ice and Fire, but probably not one that reveals anything particularly important but also warranting a few words.

Edited by hiemal

I like the first idea. Not much to support it, but the idea of a seemingly figurative name being completely literal is funny, and classic "hidden in plain sight". 

There is the correlation of dwindling numbers of both weirwoods and cotf, and the very slow birth rate of the cotf, though. Even if correlation does not imply causation.