The role of the Golden Company

Euron III Greyjoy

I wonder about the Golden Company myself.  I had thought that they wanted to see a Blckfyre on the throne, and then in the books they are fighting for Faegon.  I wonder if they will switch sides to fight for Jon, when his parentage is revealed? Such a big issue is made of their honor and never breaking a contract in the books - so it's significant when they do to join FAegon.  The show has said so little about them, I wonder if it is to give a surprise to their side changing later, or if the show is using them in name only, to give Cersei an army, and it is what it is.

Harry Strickland is Jon Connington from the books, he is gonna change sides once he realises he is going against Rhaegar's immediate family and the living itself. It will break their clean record but it will also mean coming back home and being able to stay in Westeros as a legitimate army. 

1 hour ago, willowbark said:

I wonder about the Golden Company myself.  I had thought that they wanted to see a Blckfyre on the throne, and then in the books they are fighting for Faegon.  I wonder if they will switch sides to fight for Jon, when his parentage is revealed? Such a big issue is made of their honor and never breaking a contract in the books - so it's significant when they do to join FAegon.  The show has said so little about them, I wonder if it is to give a surprise to their side changing later, or if the show is using them in name only, to give Cersei an army, and it is what it is.

If Aegon is a Blackfyre in the books, it would make sense for them to break their contract for the first time since putting a Blackfyre on the throne is what they where made for in the first place, and this is their last chance to do that. 

I think it would be pretty cool if as a little nod to the books, the Golden Company changed sides to follow Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, and Harry Strickland basically takes Jon Connington's role as either Rhaegar's friend, or a Targaryen loyalist. 

1 hour ago, L’Age d’or said:

Harry Strickland is Jon Connington from the books, he is gonna change sides once he realises he is going against Rhaegar's immediate family and the living itself. It will break their clean record but it will also mean coming back home and being able to stay in Westeros as a legitimate army. 

I like your thinking. That is my personal theory too. 

2 hours ago, L’Age d’or said:

I like this idea but I got a feeling the show is just using the Golden company name to give Cersei a army.

The Golden Company are known for their loyalty, aren't they? I suspect the undead will swoop down to KL and the remnants of the Winterfell forces will have to join forces with the GC and Euron's navy.

What I'd LIKE to see is Daario charging in with his Second Sons, coming to save Dany from the KL hordes.

1) My initial assumption has been that Jon Connington is posing as Strickland, an alter-ego he created, after faking his death. I'm not sure there's time enough for that, though all it would take would be a few lines of dialog, establishing that JonCon had been a member of the GC, and then "died". When the GC takes the field against Jon/Dany, he sneaks into their camp and reveals his identity. 

or

2) I'd have thought Daario left Meereen and signed on with the GC. Maybe took a whole bunch of his Second Sons with him. He then pulls another 'captains-head-in-a-bag'. I'm not sure how feasible this is, because sometimes we see characters know of far away with alarming accuracy, though without reason as to why they know these things. Meaning, Cersei could know who Daario is.

or

3) Someone in Jon/Dany's camp proves how smart they are by sending an emissary to the Iron Bank and telling them: "Look, this bitch (Cersei) is trying to fuck us while we're dealing with an apocalyptic war. If we lose, all trade with Westeros stops. And you'll be lucky if the NK doesn't fly on his undead dragon to your city, and maybe conjures up a freezing storm, as well. Here's another wight for proof." The IB withdraws its support from Cersei, and the GC switches sides.

^ Your point 3) is very good, but way too clever for D&D's writing. 

Problem is that no one has told them that Cersei plans on backstabbing them yet.
Tyrion believes Cersei is true to her word, and Sansa didn't care to go to Jon with her suspicions about Cersei lying.

Oh well, it will be rectified in the next episode now when Jamie has arrived. 

Archived