The boy on the wall

maiden of tarth

Is he anybody significant? Me and my husband are having an increasingly heated debate (argument) about who he his? My husband thinks he’s the little lord that was told to bring his people to Winterfell. I say he was just a random Moletown boy who lived at one of the reopened castles on the wall. Was the boy on the wall Lord Umber or not.

Beric and Tormund discover the young Lord Ned Umber at Last Hearth, dead, pinned to the wall, surrounded by a spiral of body parts. He is raised to a wight and killed by Beric with his flamig sword.

It was stupid of Jon to send him there. He could have sent a raven and order everyone to Winterfell.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Beric and Tormund discover the young Lord Ned Umber at Last Hearth, dead, pinned to the wall, surrounded by a spiral of body parts. He is raised to a wight and killed by Beric with his flamig sword.

It was stupid of Jon to send him there. He could have sent a raven and order everyone to Winterfell.

I think it was Sansa who sent him there. So much for the smartest girl in the world. :P

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I think it was Sansa who sent him there. So much for the smartest girl in the world. :P

Yeah, what a nonsense with Sansa.

Arya should not have told Jon "Sansa is the smartest girl in the world." but something like "You'd wonder, she mellowed and is more cunning than you would expect". 

Bad dialogues.

4 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

If it pleases my lady. And my lord. And my queen.

Sansa did send him there. But Jon and Dany saw nothing against it. Nor anyone else. Even Ned didn't protest.

41 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I thought this was a dumb move sending him back there too but, upon rewatch. He says something about them needing more horses and wagons...maybe that’s why he went back. Idk lol maybe his people would respect it more that he came back him self to lead them to Winterfell???:leaving: 

7 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

I thought this was a dumb move sending him back there too but, upon rewatch. He says something about them needing more horses and wagons...maybe that’s why he went back. Idk lol maybe his people would respect it more that he came back him self to lead them to Winterfell???:leaving: 

I know and it seemed like a very cheap plot device to first introduce the character (or remind us of him, I can't remember if he was already in S7), find a pretext to get him back to Last Heart and kill him. You don't have enough horses, so you left your people in the castle and went to Winterfell to complain about lack of horses and then go back to Last Heart and go to Winterfell again? How about packing everyone off to Winterfell, the horseriders arrive first and then one or two guys lead the horses back for the people by foot? :bang:  It would certainly be faster than going back and forth between Last Heart and Winterfell while the NK is quickly advancing.

I like the way the little demon lord Umber played dead when he was dead, but was ready to stab anyone who got too close. Ned Umber was a nasty critter--somehow the whole sequence made me think of Children of the Corn, especially the weird spiral pattern. And fiery little fella kicking his legs around while burning was like Kurt Russell blasting The Thing with a flamethrower ln The Thing.

Good stuff in an otherwise talky, dialogue heavy, personal dynamics dominated episode, onward...

5 minutes ago, Tyrion's Double Axe said:

Good stuff in an otherwise talky,

Yes, I liked this scene, too, quite a lot so. Well done, a little shocking moment, the symbolism fits to be repeated in the first episode. There had to be at least one sign of the NK approaching, and about the threat he means to the world of the living.

Archived