Thoughts on Bran’s character development

Coffeewiththegods

What are some of you guys predictions on Bran’s character development this season? Are you enjoying what he has become? Do you think he will remain the 3-eyed robot? I’m interested to see if him and meera will have another run in...For the most part I’ve stayed away from behind the scenes spoilers, so I’m not sure if the actress filmed anything for this season. 

He went from a nice and poor little boy with some extra powers to a wierdo without emotions and has even more powers. I honestly don't know what to think about Bran. Apparently he can see all the past and maybe even the future (if the "I'm waiting for an old friend" line was a reference to Jaime), who knows, but I'm not sure if he saw something of a real use so far.  He saw how Hodor become Hodor - cool but doesn't really help anyone. He saw that White Walkers (or was that the NK?) were created by the COTF - very interesting for sure but currently it is rather a fun trivia than a real help. He saw LF's impact in Ned's death - so they got rid of LF, so what? He saw Jon's true parents - very cool and interesting, a big mystery solved, but not sure how it is going to help in the battle against the NK. Sure, Jon can ride a dragon but he could do it even if we didn't know about his parents. Probably the only useful thing he saw when it comes to the upcoming battle is that the NK has the dragon, that's good to know although Jon&co. would find about it sooner or latter either way and I'm not sure if they can make some kind of a antidragon weapon if they don't have Bronn. ;)

So... for the sake of story, I suppose that there will some kind of a mental battle between Bran and the NK which would result into a distraction of the NK and so someone (Jon? Arya? Sam? Jaime? Theon?) can kill him. Who knows.

What most people seem to be missing is that Bran is now effectively a tree! He's the weirnet, so he has no human emotion. Sorry Meera, nothing personal. His character, as such, can't "develop" any further, but he does have key roles to play. He can and will warg into a human/humans. My prediction is that Jon will be killed/resurrected as undead by the NK and that Bran will warg into him to kill the NK. Alternatively, he could warg into the NK's ice dragon.

Bran is clearly playing 4D chess now.

He insisted to Sam that Jon must know "now" and all the other indications by him.

He is setting up the future in order to defeat the NK.

I think he will sacrifice someone in order to have the right "future".

He needs A to happen and in order for that character X has to die in a certain way, regardless of the emotional charge and wrongness of that.

So I think he will remain the Robot until he dies (if he dies).

Honestly I get the impression that his current personality is an act and he isn't as emotionless as he pretends.  I think he was badly traumatized by what he did to Hodor and the way he is coping is to detach from everyone and everything.  He was purposefully cold to Meera to get her to go home so she wouldn't be caught up in the upcoming battle and potentially die like all of his other companions. 

That said his detached self definitely helps him in his attempt to outplay the Night King.  Since it allows him to force emotional struggles on people he cares about in order to help him reach his endgame.

Of course I am likely just misinterpreting his character since he is one of my favorite characters and thus want there to still be depth to him.

12 hours ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

predictions on Bran’s character development this season

I don't expect much development. He will become better at accessing whatever visions he needs. 

Bran might have a very central part of the storyline if the Nightking is targeting him as the three-eyed raven.

Are you enjoying what he has become?

No, it's sad that he is not anymore a Stark, not real brother, but just the three-eyed raven. But this is his fate and nothing can changed it, probably. It's a tough destiny to lose your identity to become some sort of magical creature without real emotions and relations.

interested to see if him and meera will have another run in

I am not. He cold-heartedly said goodbye to her. I don't expect any more emotions the next time he meets her. This is how Bran is now.

14 hours ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

What are some of you guys predictions on Bran’s character development this season? Are you enjoying what he has become?

For what it's worth he seemed more interesting & "human" to me in this episode than in all of season 7. The "You're a man!" / "Almost" line showed him being conscious of his weirdness, but in an almost warm & funny way. He also seems more alive & active now, more in his element now that most of the major players are around for him to interact with.

And then of course the last scene tying back to the last scene of S01E01 paves the way for some really interesting developments. (Most likely it's an opportunity to show how Bran has moved way beyond all of the old fights, IMO.)

5 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

He will warg into NK.

Two possibilities here:

1) He IS the NK.

2) The NK is also a greenseer, in which case I don't think Bran can warg him. The fact that the NK knew Bran was tripping through the weirnet and could actually touch him hints at this. 

Edit: I think it's interesting that Bran is a Stark and the last Three Eyed Crow was a Targaryen with a Stark ancestor or two. His mother was a child of Raventree Hall.  

49 minutes ago, Ida Hearst said:

For what it's worth he seemed more interesting & "human" to me in this episode than in all of season 7. The "You're a man!" / "Almost" line showed him being conscious of his weirdness, but in an almost warm & funny way. He also seems more alive & active now, more in his element now that most of the major players are around for him to interact with.

And then of course the last scene tying back to the last scene of S01E01 paves the way for some really interesting developments. (Most likely it's an opportunity to show how Bran has moved way beyond all of the old fights, IMO.)

Someone told me that Isaac has said that bran wouldn’t be as stale and robotic this season as well.

7 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

Someone told me that Isaac has said that bran wouldn’t be as stale and robotic this season as well.

Well, the actor did not convince me anyway. Maybe that is as non-robotic as it gets?

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

Well, the actor did not convince me anyway. Maybe that is as non-robotic as it gets?

I dont think isaac has the acting ability as most of the other cast.  Some of the other actors hired as kids have grown into decent actors and actresses, but maybe he just doesn't want to do it... same as the kid who played Joffrey.

I've never really quite understood what's been up with Bran for the last few seasons.  He is an emotionless tree.  Bloodraven was literally a tree for a century and he didn't act like that.  Maybe it's just having to acclimate with the sudden knowledge dump that he's gotten and he'll turn more human as time goes by.

7 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

2) The NK is also a greenseer, in which case I don't think Bran can warg him. The fact that the NK knew Bran was tripping through the weirnet and could actually touch him hints at this. 

Can someone who traffics only in death be a greenseer?  It sounds counter intuitive that the power to reanimate the dead would reside in one who dreams into the future and has power over nature.  According to the Wiki of Ice & Fire, Greenseers were the wise men and leaders of the children of the forest who had magical abilities, including power over nature and greensight.  

And if we argue that NK is a greenseer with nature powers, then why didn't he just drain the lake to get to Viserion?  Why didn't he just keep the lake iced over so the walkers could just walk over and kill our guys.  At Hard Home, why didn't he ......

Or NK is and the show does not care about consistency.

4 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Can someone who traffics only in death be a greenseer?  It sounds counter intuitive that the power to reanimate the dead would reside in one who dreams into the future and has power over nature.  According to the Wiki of Ice & Fire, Greenseers were the wise men and leaders of the children of the forest who had magical abilities, including power over nature and greensight.  

And if we argue that NK is a greenseer with nature powers, then why didn't he just drain the lake to get to Viserion?  Why didn't he just keep the lake iced over so the walkers could just walk over and kill our guys.  At Hard Home, why didn't he ......

Or NK is and the show does not care about consistency.

Okay, point taken.  But he was created by the Children, and we don't know for sure what abilities they gave him and what abilities he already had. 

Show watchers haven't a clue what the greenseers are, so the distinction of them being wise (which could be nothing more than myth) is actually irrelevant. However, IMO it was the greenseers that threw the world out of balance in the first place. How wise can they be? 

Magic has clearly defined limits in any good story. It's the same here. But the NK knew exactly where to find Jon and lure him into a trap. He is aware of Bran during his trips through the weirwood wireless and can even touch him. He sees something in Jon at Hardhome, a recognition of some deeper connection. If he's not a greenseer himself, how can he do that?

In the books, Cotter Pyke's messages from Hardhome are ominous: There are dead things in the water, implying that open water is not a barrier. It seems Cthulu is in cahoots with the Great Other...and that's a big missed opportunity in the show. In the show, they can't raise Viserion because either the water prevents him from doing it, or he thinks, "It's too big, Master Yoda. I can't do it."

Or they were simply going for visuals. No one can accuse D&D of being logically consistent.

22 hours ago, Bran the Shipper said:

Honestly I get the impression that his current personality is an act and he isn't as emotionless as he pretends.  I think he was badly traumatized by what he did to Hodor and the way he is coping is to detach from everyone and everything.  He was purposefully cold to Meera to get her to go home so she wouldn't be caught up in the upcoming battle and potentially die like all of his other companions. 

That said his detached self definitely helps him in his attempt to outplay the Night King.  Since it allows him to force emotional struggles on people he cares about in order to help him reach his endgame.

Of course I am likely just misinterpreting his character since he is one of my favorite characters and thus want there to still be depth to him.

I think you're right about the need to emotionally detach, to survive all that he must know.

Also, I was thinking about the fact that he waited so long for JAime, and I think this means that he can't see the future, otherwise why wait so long? I think he saw Jaime leave Cersei after the fact, and maybe where Jaime was traveling, and could estimate approxamate arrival dates so he waited.  IF he can see all the past, he can learn conversation and events and predict.  I think this makes more sense than all seeing of the future.

I don't love what Bran has become. The 3-eye Raven of previous seasons had emotion, I don't know why Bran doesn't. I get him not "being Bran" anymore. But I don't get the lack of emotion. But that's whatever.

I always worried about what plans they may or may not have for Bran. If he is just there for exposition, I will be upset. But, they could do some interesting stuff with him this season. I think GRRM always had large plans for Bran and hopefully D&D use whatever GRRM Bran ending he has and tie it all up nicely. But I started to worry when they left Bran out for an entire season that there wouldn't be a lot to do with him. Hopefully my worries are for nothing...

4 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

^ I'm the opposite - I think it's great. Bran has transcended human emotion - he's a tree! Well, he's the Weirnet, an impersonal force seeing all of the past and present - that can be seen through the weirwood trees anyway.

To each their own, right? haha. I guess if the old 3-eye raven was like that, I would be more for it. Or if they explained how the sudden rush of training on a young boy changes emotion or something, I could see it easier. Then again, I have asked Game of Thrones not to just hand me exposition, so I guess I shouldn't complain for it haha.

1 minute ago, btfu806 said:

To each their own, right? haha. I guess if the old 3-eye raven was like that, I would be more for it. Or if they explained how the sudden rush of training on a young boy changes emotion or something, I could see it easier. Then again, I have asked Game of Thrones not to just hand me exposition, so I guess I shouldn't complain for it haha.

Heh, each to their own indeed! I would add that despite Bran's training being unfinished, he's surpassed the 3ER in certain abilities, particularly warging into humans, and also affecting past events (disturbing his father and pre-Hodor), so if he's more 'otherworldly' than the 3ER, that works in my book.

Archived