Thoughts on Bran’s character development

Coffeewiththegods

Both him being traumatized and the thing about becoming a tree sound very logical, maybe it's a combination?? Not only because of Hodor and all the huge changes that have happened in his life, but also because I can imagine that he partly knows whats coming.. The end of the world as everyone knows it. Many people (his family?!) will die (and have already died ofc), and it's not really like he can share that with anyone. That can't be good for a boy his age...

Bran showed flashes of feelings when Jon greeted him.  But I thought the .....Jon: you are a man.  Bran: Almost...was a comment about his legs, and not his age and thus, sad.   Bran spends his time observing others and creating patterns and knowledge out of what he sees, not so much a tree as a computer.  Anyway, I do not think Bran is a robot, but I do think he is becoming.  Of what, I am not certain.

Maybe when this war with the NK and WW is done, some magic could return Bran to plain human.  That would be a nice ending for Bran.

7 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Bran: Almost...was a comment about his legs, and not his age and thus, sad

No, I believe it was a comment about "three-eyed raven, not a  man", but Jon could of course not get the meaning.

Having paralyzed legs does not make him less a man.

7 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Anyway, I do not think Bran is a robot, but I do think he is becoming

No, he is not a robot and not becoming one either.

Bran is the three-eyed raven, and he is losing his Stark nature, his family bonds, he is overwhelmed by all the greenseeing and knowledge, by all the conflicting emotions. Bran can never be a normal being again, because his new abilities and destiny are his quintessence now.

6 hours ago, Kajjo said:

No, I believe it was a comment about "three-eyed raven, not a  man", but Jon could of course not get the meaning.

No, he is not a robot and not becoming one either.

Bran is the three-eyed raven, and he is losing his Stark nature, his family bonds, he is overwhelmed by all the greenseeing and knowledge, by all the conflicting emotions. Bran can never be a normal being again, because his new abilities and destiny are his quintessence now.

Of course not having legs does not make one not a man, but Bran has become extremely literal.  That is why I think he meant that.

I did not finish my sentence.  I meant Bran is in the act of becoming ...whatever he is going to be.  Whether that be a tree or a man.

Honestly this is the most I've enjoyed Bran's character since the show began.  To me (and it seems many others) he's always been a bit of a boring wet blanket kind of character.  I am absolutely loving the pure comedy of this version of Bran just popping up in his wheelchair staring fools down and making them feel uncomfortable while also delivering exposition.  

9 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

he's always been a bit of a boring wet blanket kind of character

Same for me.

9 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

absolutely loving the pure comedy of this version of Bran just popping up in his wheelchair staring fools down and making them feel uncomfortable while also delivering exposition

Well, yes, I like it, but I am a little bit more reserved than you. The Jamie/Bran scene was very good, though.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:49 AM, Coffeewiththegods said:

What are some of you guys predictions on Bran’s character development this season? Are you enjoying what he has become? Do you think he will remain the 3-eyed robot? I’m interested to see if him and meera will have another run in...For the most part I’ve stayed away from behind the scenes spoilers, so I’m not sure if the actress filmed anything for this season. 

I think Bran is so much more important than most people realise. He can see anything that has ever happened, and anything that is happening right now. You can't lie to Bran. He can always be one step ahead of any enemy. He needs to be consulted more instead of being overlooked so much. He could be the most powerful person in westeros atm and the key to destroying the Night King

As for his character development, Bran seemed very lost up until Season 4. He was just sort of wandering around, knowing most of his family was dead, his home was destroyed, and he can't walk. Its a lot for a kid so finding out he is the 3 Eyed Raven gave him purpose. I really love watching Bran.

Just now, cirah1712 said:

I think Bran is so much more important than most people realise.

No, no, we realise that.

Bran is central for the storyline, both in the books and the show. His whole arc is important from beginning to end.

However, his whole thread has been quite boring in the show, the actors not the best one, not really gripping. The cave/Hodor scenes were exciting, buit the rest. Hm. Not so much. However, even in show it is clear that many scenes contain valuable information and that Bran will be decisive for the endgame. 

Most probably Bran is the Nightking's primary target. We will see. Just a theory.

47 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Of course not having legs does not make one not a man, but Bran has become extremely literal.  That is why I think he meant that.

I did not finish my sentence.  I meant Bran is in the act of becoming ...whatever he is going to be.  Whether that be a tree or a man.

Bran is still a human being, he always will be. He is just different to how he uses to be. Knowing and seeing everything would do that to someone. He has less human qualities like empathy, or standard emotions.

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

No, no, we realise that.

Bran is central for the storyline, both in the books and the show. His whole arc is important from beginning to end.

However, his whole thread has been quite boring in the show, the actors not the best one, not really gripping. The cave/Hodor scenes were exciting, buit the rest. Hm. Not so much. However, even in show it is clear that many scenes contain valuable information and that Bran will be decisive for the endgame. 

Most probably Bran is the Nightking's primary target. We will see. Just a theory.

No, I know viewers realize, I meanr characters on the show. The Night King definetely wants to take out Bran, he knows that Bran has all the knowledge needed to destroy him for good, he just may not have seen it all yet, he wants to kill Bran before he figures it out and ruins him. 

5 minutes ago, cirah1712 said:

No, I know viewers realize

Oh, sorry. OK.

I meanr characters on the show

Yeah, strange. Sam, Sansa and Arya must realise that, after the important revelations regarding Baelish end of S7.

6 minutes ago, cirah1712 said:

The Night King definetely wants to take out Bran,

That is my prediction, too. However, the protagonists cannot really know that. Nobody really knows what the Nightking wants. Only Bran could possibly know and he is a weird character and not the most outspoken man.

4 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Oh, sorry. OK.

Yeah, strange. Sam, Sansa and Arya must realise that, after the important revelations regarding Baelish end of S7.

That is my prediction, too. However, the protagonists cannot really know that. Nobody really knows what the Nightking wants. Only Bran could possibly know and he is a weird character and not the most outspoken man.

You think Jon would realise it too since Bran was the one who told him that the NK breached the wall with Viserion, which is pretty important information. Bran also was the one who found out who Jon really was, whether he wanted to know or not, Bran knew and made sure he was told. They just don't seem to take him seriously at all. 

2 minutes ago, cirah1712 said:

since Bran was the one who told him that the NK breached the wall with Viserion, which is pretty important information

However, in that instance Bran acquired the knowledge by warging rather greensight. Also Jon and Bran had just their reunion. If show were not so hastened, they could have shown us more talk between Jon and Bran, some catching up, some discussion about greensight abilities and its boundaries. It's a pity they don't take time for that.

4 minutes ago, cirah1712 said:

They just don't seem to take him seriously at all. 

Well, Bran reports the dragon now belonging to the NK and everyone immediately believes him, even Daenerys. They take him serious. Bran is just not very outspoken and does not argue for his case or explain his knowledge better.

2 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

However, in that instance Bran acquired the knowledge by warging rather greensight. Also Jon and Bran had just their reunion. If show were not so hastened, they could have shown us more talk between Jon and Bran, some catching up, some discussion about greensight abilities and its boundaries. It's a pity they don't take time for that.

Well, Bran reports the dragon now belonging to the NK and everyone immediately believes him, even Daenerys. They take him serious. Bran is just not very outspoken and does not argue for his case or explain his knowledge better.

Im not saying people don't believe him, they just could probably consult him more about some things. Like if they asked him, he would be able to find out what Cersai is doing and thar she actually has no intention of going north. 

You think Jon would realise it too since Bran was the one who told him that the NK breached the wall with Viserion, which is pretty important information. Bran also was the one who found out who Jon really was, whether he wanted to know or not, Bran knew and made sure he was told. They just don't seem to take him seriously at all.  

I think he sort of creeps them out. Sam's one of the few who can communicate on a more normal level with him. That is, not that much from Bran's side, but Sam's not creeped out by Bran, argues with him too.

Now, not everybody would be creeped out by him. I'm wondering why there wasn't a waiting line of women and men asking him whether this or that person is in love with them, or where their dad hid his gold or things like that... like a fortune teller.

6 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I think he sort of creeps them out. Sam's one of the few who can communicate on a more normal level with him. That is, not that much from Bran's side, but Sam's not creeped out by Bran, argues with him too.

Now, not everybody would be creeped out by him. I'm wondering why there wasn't a waiting line of women and men asking him whether this or that person is in love with them, or where their dad hid his gold or things like that... like a fortune teller.

Yeah, he has the ability to find out anything. People are not taking advantage of his powers enough. I get its hard to understand but they could use him so much more than they do

On 4/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, ValarMorghulis1990 said:

Personally think it's unfair to judge (the character, the actor and D&D) mid-story/season without seeing the result.

I judge the actor for all seven seasons that are already finished and S8E1 is in sync with that. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I am not convinced. Compared to extremely good actors like Samwell, Bran always was minimalistic.

I judge the storyline or thread for all seven seasons that are already finished and that quite poor. Even if Bran is pivotal to the whole story, the show did not catch me with tension or excitement.

I judge D&D for all seven seasons that are already finished and I believe that almost all other characters had better lines, showed more emotions, were more gripping than the whole Bran storyline.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, ValarMorghulis1990 said:

If Bran is the vehicle behind saving key characters (which he is likely to be) then that's surely the pay-off?

And again, I even believe that the Bran storyline is important. It's just not as entertaining as others. And saving people just by unrealistic magic is not my preferred solution anyway.

The show managed to portrait magical creatures like dragons in such a believable, realistic manner that really fits into the storyline, whose characteristics fit in the depicted world. Awesome. I can live with occasional visions, with warging into animals and into Hodor, with some greensight in special occasions. But accessing EVERY scene of the past... that's too much to be a good solution.

A good solution in this fantasy world we come to love would be with courage, inventions, bravery, sacrifices, perseverance. But not by a deus-ex-machina like Bran appears to become.

I think the most important part of Bran is no one respecting his incredible ability. Winterfell has a maester but he should be working side by side with him to inform whatever council Jon and Sansa construct. If they don't respect\believe him then who believes jons bloodrite? A thirdborn (second trueborn) son is overlooked even without claiming magical powers. 

also bombshell-- in the book, jons a warg. that was a devastating loss in adaptation, I think. Hurts bran in the long run. 

On 4/18/2019 at 3:36 AM, Kajjo said:

No more so than Varys, Grey Worm, and Theon are no longer men — nor any less, for no children shall any of the four of them father. In this sense, the "almost" fits.

Archived