Jaime's Hair

LadyNoOne

I think we've all noticed Jaime Lannister's hair growing more brunette (and grey) through the seasons...  I am of the opinion that is representative of his departing from the Lannister ways.  What do people think? 

50 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

I figured he dyed it a bit to avoid being recognised riding alone all the way to Winterfell, he is definitely not a popular figure. 

I like that idea but this means that he will have to hide his golden hand. I mean, how many amputees roam the kingdoms with a golden hand?

Perhaps his darker hair could be the showrunners using a visual message to show us that he had changed (besides the scene when he arrived at Winterfell, just a stranger among strangers, dressed in dark coloured clothes, wearing a hood contrasts the previous arrival in Winterfell where he was wearing his white cloak and looking radiant).

Perhaps an indication that he will join the NW? That was a popular theory, especially if one considers his conversation with Jon Snow in S1.

15 minutes ago, Danelle said:

I like that idea but this means that he will have to hide his golden hand. I mean, how many amputees roam the kingdoms with a golden hand?

Perhaps his darker hair could be the showrunners using a visual message to show us that he had changed (besides the scene when he arrived at Winterfell, just a stranger among strangers, dressed in dark coloured clothes, wearing a hood contrasts the previous arrival in Winterfell where he was wearing his white cloak and looking radiant).

Perhaps an indication that he will join the NW? That was a popular theory, especially if one considers his conversation with Jon Snow in S1.

Well he was covered head to toe with a cloak and wearing nondescript armour with long gloves which covered hands pretty well. 

He might end up joining the NW but that is if such organisation remains functional or even necessary; with the freefolk already south of the wall, the wall breached and the army of the dead sweeping the north there is pretty much no reason to have a NW after everything is said and done. 

On 4/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, Danelle said:

Perhaps an indication that he will join the NW?

I don't expect there will be a Nightswatch after the Great War.

6 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Yes he was once Vain with huge self importance and he has been humbled as the show has gone on, let go of his vanity,

Yes, I agree. However, I don't think that Jamie dyed his hair, he has just grown old and gray and darker. That's normal. (The actor might dye his hair, though.)

6 hours ago, Kajjo said:

I don't expect there will be a Nightswatch after the Great War.

Yes, I agree. However, I don't think that Jamie dyed his hair, he has just grown old and gray and darker. That's normal. (The actor might dye his hair, though.)

I was joking about the hair dye, it was obviously important all the lannisters had light blonde hair in the early seasons as this was part of the books and also a big part in the storytelling... the true father of cerseis kids etc... 

but as the show has gone on I think the actors playing them have probably requested to cut back on it, if you look at Jaime,cersei and to a lesser degree tyrion they all had blonde hair at the shows beginning.... Jaime is now closer to costers natural hair, lena has went darker and tyrion looks slightly off ginger lol!

2 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I was joking about the hair dye

Fine, sorry.

2 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

but as the show has gone on I think the actors playing them have probably requested to cut back on it

Maybe so. However, I feel slightly annoyed by Cersei different hair color. A little bit more continuity would be fine.

Jamie is OK for me, because the tendency to darker and grayer seems realistic and natural.

10 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Fine, sorry.

Maybe so. However, I feel slightly annoyed by Cersei different hair color. A little bit more continuity would be fine.

Jamie is OK for me, because the tendency to darker and grayer seems realistic and natural.

sorry I wasn't having a pop, just clearing up the hair dry thing lol

yeah its a big continuity thing but I think once the need for the Lannister hair colour being an integral part of the story line was no longer the case the actors most likely asked to cut back on it due to how damaging it is for the hair/scalp to be bleaching it.

A blonde usually goes greyer and lighter as the age, so even for me Jaimes hair change is out of place... and as said tyrion is basically becoming a tully with that auburn mane.

It might be a call out to the books. As Jaime leaves RR, he cuts off all of his hair to hide his identity and this is when he starts noticing Brienne. He thinks about Cersei's fingers in his hair as he cuts it, noticing a louse coming out which kinda creates an equivalency between Cersei's fingers and lice. Looking at his reflection in the water, he doesn't recognize himself and then he sees a Lannister soldier dead in the water wondering if he knew him. The dead Lannister soldier represents the old, dead Jaime Lannister. Jaime thinks that Cersei will hate it that they don't look alike anymore. When he gets to KL, Cersei's ticked because he's going gray and they don't look the same anymore. 

It might point to Jaime's loyalties being more aligned with the brown-haired Starks. They do the same the same thing with clothing colors hinting at loyalties and thoughts. Tyrion's hair being redder is interesting...

Jaime is sworn to Cat. LSH is hooded and noticed that Jaime arrives in Winterfell hooded. Wonder if that'll come up somehow or if it's just an Easter Egg. 

Plot wise, the hair color change was simply to disguise himself as he left from King's Landing. He went full Aragon with the long mysterious hood.

Metaphorically, it does seem like a character arc representation of how he's changed from the original Winterfell meetup.

His hair was extremely blonde the first season, just like Tyrion's was.  When your hair is golden blonde into your 30s it doesn't turn dirty blonde, your hair doesn't change color either due to your character growth, it is a continuity fail.  It is probably exacerbated by the blue filter they use for the North scenes, but his hair has not been blonde for a long time, and neither has Tyrion's.  I presume, if you are making a huge salary and part of the biggest TV show in the world, that you should be able to suck it up and stand some bleach or a wig for a few weeks a year.

Archived