He was no dragon....

Ours is the Brewery

I thought so. I thought, Dany might maybe try to kill Jon with dragonfire when she finds out about his legitimate claim to the iron throne.

This would of course fail, as Jon should be immune to fire. Sure, GRRM stated, Targs are not naturally immune to fire, but Jon might be, because of his resurrection by the Lorf of Light. 

Or maybe something completely different will happen. We‘ll soon know.

Jon being a Targaryen would most likely make Daenerys like him more, not less.

Regardless, she would never try to kill him in the current situation, so any notions of her killing him out of fear of loosing her power (Jon has a claim but not the power to pursue it, let alone the fact that he doesn't want to rule in the first place) is pure fan-fiction.

Sure, at that point, everything is a reasonable possibility. But I seriousely doubt Dany will take the legitimate rival claim lightheartedly, let alone with any love for whoever holds it.

Also the buildup in S8E1: „But will SHE do the same?“ hints strongly to an upcoming conflict about that matter.

I don't think that Dany will try to burn Jon but at the same time I don't think that she will gently step aside and give him everything, just because he says he's a Targaeryen. Maybe that something that gotta be hidden in the crypts will convince her, although she won't believe the claim at the beginning. Who knows?

I doubt she will try to burn him, even if he is a threat to her Queenship he is still the only family she has left in the entire world. I'm not to sure if the whole fireproof thing will come into play since its a show only thing, and only Daenerys seems to have this ability. 

4 hours ago, Zehde said:

as Jon should be immune to fire

No, he shouldn't. Dany is an exception and her analysis of "he was no dragon" about Viserys was wrong.

Jon burned his hand in S1. So he is not immune to fire. Neither are all Targaryens nor is it required to ride a dragon.

I feel like this season is going to have a lot of character development for Dany.  Up to this point things have been pretty black and white with her.  Anyone who didn't like her or was a threat was an enemy, that is no longer the case.  Sansa and the lords of the north don't like her but they aren't plotting to kill her, they just want to be free.  And Jon will be a threat to her claim, but he is also someone she truly cares about so she can't and shouldn't move against him.  There is also a matter of Sam who is someone she wanted to reward for what he did for Jorah, but instead she finds out that she badly hurt him by thoughtlessly killing his family.

All this will help her to see the world in more depths and thus become a better queen.

3 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

I feel like this season is going to have a lot of character development for Dany.  Up to this point things have been pretty black and white with her.  Anyone who didn't like her or was a threat was an enemy, that is no longer the case.  Sansa and the lords of the north don't like her but they aren't plotting to kill her, they just want to be free.  And Jon will be a threat to her claim, but he is also someone she truly cares about so she can't and shouldn't move against him.  There is also a matter of Sam who is someone she wanted to reward for what he did for Jorah, but instead she finds out that she badly hurt him by thoughtlessly killing his family.

All this will help her to see the world in more depths and thus become a better queen.

I see character development too, but in the opposite way to yours! I think she's developing from a wise and compassionate 'mysha' to an egotistical maniac like her father. Sansa, in contrast, is developing from a naive spoiled 'princess' to a strong and smart leader.

28 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

No, he shouldn't. Dany is an exception and her analysis of "he was no dragon" about Viserys was wrong.

Jon burned his hand in S1. So he is not immune to fire. Neither are all Targaryens nor is it required to ride a dragon.

Yes he could.

Not because of Targ ancestry but because of his resurrection by the Lord of Light. The burnt hand was way before he got resurrected by the god of fire.

I think initially she will be conflicted. Varys will convince her of the political advantage. Including Jon's own lack of ambition for the throne. As for burning him? Nothing that drastic. He's her last ally and his allegiance unlocks the allegiance of the North. She couldn't even try to burn him there any way. Not on his turf. She'd have to burn the entire North cause no way they'd follow her after that.

21 minutes ago, Zehde said:

The burnt hand was way before he got resurrected by the god of fire.

Well, do we have any indication that resurrection changes the fundamental abilities or powers? 

Beric does not recount any new powers, just diminishing strength.

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

I don't think that Dany will try to burn Jon but at the same time I don't think that she will gently step aside and give him everything, just because he says he's a Targaeryen. Maybe that something that gotta be hidden in the crypts will convince her, although she won't believe the claim at the beginning. Who knows?

Agree completely.  Ever since I read about the crypts, I just knew something was going to be hidden there that would be very useful at some point in the story.  Dany, with all her ego, is going to have some trouble dealing with Jon's claim and it makes sense that there will be 'proof' in the crypts, proof other than a book-reader and a vision dude. 

5 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Agree completely.  Ever since I read about the crypts, I just knew something was going to be hidden there that would be very useful at some point in the story.  Dany, with all her ego, is going to have some trouble dealing with Jon's claim and it makes sense that there will be 'proof' in the crypts, proof other than a book-reader and a vision dude. 

Frankly I've never really thought something would be hidden there before I entered this forum but everyone else seems to be convinced that something is there. There is a theory that Rhaegar's harp might be in Lyanna's tomb. That might be pretty convincing for sure but how can you be sure that it is Rhaegar's harp and not a random harp? I don't think it will have "property of Rhaegar Targaeryn" written over itself... And whether it is a harp or something Targaeryen-ish (wedding cloak, dragon egg, whatever), how does that prove that Jon is Rhaegar's son? It proves that there was something between Rhaegar and Lyanna, sure, but does it prove Jon's existence? Imo no. Sidenote: I'm NOT trying to discredit the theory, I'm merely thinking about how it can or cannot actually prove Jon's origin. :)

11 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

but everyone else seems to be convinced that something is there

The shows gives no clues to that at all. That would be a little bit like conjuring a rabbit out of a hat. However, in the books, there are quite lot of hints towards something in the crypts. In the books, Winterfell has a natural source of heat, too, which they discarded in the show.

So I am doubtful whether "something from the crypts" really can be the solution in the show.

But I am very curious now if and when Jon will tell Daenerys. And how she reacts to that. Maybe he is smart enough to wait for after the Great war?

29 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Frankly I've never really thought something would be hidden there before I entered this forum but everyone else seems to be convinced that something is there. s son? It proves that there was something between Rhaegar and Lyanna, sure, but does it prove Jon's existence? Imo no. Sidenote: I'm NOT trying to discredit the theory, I'm merely thinking about how it can or cannot actually prove Jon's origin. :)

Well, I actually thought it would be a document of some sort, which would provide proof (a letter, perhaps).  A thing does not, you are correct.  The books do stress the crypts, but even in the show it seems we have been down in these crypts repeatedly.  Jon gets the truth there and Arya is scared there.  Sansa and Arya go there together. Sam is there, as was Ned and Robert, among others.  You would think the 'house' did not have a front room.  If the tv story has to rely on Bran and Sam, Cersei and Dany can refuse to believe it outright. 

It is just a guess, but I always feel like the story has taken me there more often than is necessary ....

31 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

The shows gives no clues to that at all. That would be a little bit like conjuring a rabbit out of a hat. However, in the books, there are quite lot of hints towards something in the crypts. In the books, Winterfell has a natural source of heat, too, which they discarded in the show.

So I am doubtful whether "something from the crypts" really can be the solution in the show.

But I am very curious now if and when Jon will tell Daenerys. And how she reacts to that. Maybe he is smart enough to wait for after the Great war?

It definitely would be smart to wait after the war to say it but there are two problems about it: 1) Jon is an honorable man. I suppose he'll tell Daenerys in E02 or E03 at the latest. 2) There is Sam who is currently mad as hell that Daenerys killed his father and brother. With how he reacted to the news, I wouldn't be surprised if he used the first opportunity to tell Daenerys about it to taunt her.

2 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Well, I actually thought it would be a document of some sort, which would provide proof (a letter, perhaps).  A thing does not, you are correct.  The books do stress the crypts, but even in the show it seems we have been down in these crypts repeatedly.  Jon gets the truth there and Arya is scared there.  Sansa and Arya go there together. Sam is there, as was Ned and Robert, among others.  You would think the 'house' did not have a front room.  If the tv story has to rely on Bran and Sam, Cersei and Dany can refuse to believe it outright. 

It is just a guess, but I always feel like the story has taken me there more often than is necessary ....

Yeah, a written document would be ideal. Something like the diary of Lyanna or Rhaegar would be almost bulletproof (although both died before or right after Jon was born, so no photo as a happy familly, I guess ;) )

1 minute ago, Nerevanin said:

Sam who is currently mad as hell that Daenerys killed his father and brother

I have seen no madness in Sam at all. He is stricken with grief and sadness -- and this understandable. He reacts very controlled when he asks Daenerys that he may leave. He is fair when reciting the news to Jon. He reminds Jon that he had surrendered the crown for the greater good and questions whether Daenerys would do the same. He not even says she wouldn't, he simply questions it and it is smart to do so.

Archived