Samwell Tarly stole the spotlight.

Danny-

John Bradley was great, the character was a moron though. The NK is days away from laying waste to the North, and he chooses to introduce conflict into the alliance by pushing Jon to make his claim to the throne and confront Dany. The fact that he's seen the army of the dead and still choose to undermine the alliance is mind boggling.

21 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

John Bradley was great, the character was a moron though. The NK is days away from laying waste to the North, and he chooses to introduce conflict into the alliance by pushing Jon to make his claim to the throne and confront Dany. The fact that he's seen the army of the dead and still choose to undermine the alliance is mind boggling.

I'm not seeing that; I thought he was great. Linda in her video criticised him for having too much ego in assuming Jon would discuss his father and brother's deaths with Dany, but to me he's grief-stricken and he gets a pass on that. Jon simply has to be told about his parentage and it's better coming from Sam than Bran. I don't think Sam's making political calculations, he's just telling his good friend a vital truth.

Just now, House Cambodia said:

I'm not seeing that; I thought he was great. Linda in her video criticised him for having too much ego in assuming Jon would discuss his father and brother's deaths with Dany, but to me he's grief-stricken and he gets a pass on that. Jon simply has to be told about his parentage and it's better coming from Sam than Bran. I don't think Sam's making political calculations, he's just telling his good friend a vital truth.

Not on the eve of the battle that will determine the survival of an entire kingdom. Right now it needs to be all hands on deck, only one all encompasing focus, survive the NK and his army. The rest is political BS.

4 hours ago, Danny- said:

Bradley delivered an amazing performance and his character was the best in Ep1

Yes, Bradley is a good actor anyway.

In S8E1 he was the best -- but he also had the best written and most important scenes. The Sam/Daenerys interaction was great and Bradley acted the different stages of sadness perfectly. The Sam/Jon scene was well done, too. Both by the actors as well as the directors.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

he chooses to introduce conflict into the alliance by pushing Jon to make his claim to the throne and confront Dany.

Bran told him to do so. Sam just conveys the message. Further, Sam has just to cope with his grief and certainly will feel somehow bad about Daenerys in that moment. He's a human being with a goed heart. Of course he is influenced by the news and somehow questions the motives and behaviour of Daenerys at that moment. Sam is not the politician or war strategist, but a young scholar.

These scenes were well written, directed and acted.

I have to agree,  he was amazing he had the performance of the night.   Dani walked into the room.  He was so happy to see her & supportive of her and her rule.   He asked her what could he do to serve her. 

When she told him about his father.  Sam was sad about it( even though his father was an ass) he was going to let it ride but, she stated that his brother was also put to death.  That was enough for him.  But, he did not disrespect her, he cried & asked for her leave.   Loved how he went straight to Bran once he saw him.    He did steal the show with his performance. 

I bet Dani wish that she listen to Tyron now, from last season in regards to the them.  They could have been jailed or something.  She lost a Big supporter & a person that can Turn Jon's head.

1 minute ago, Panther2000 said:

I bet Dani wish that she listen to Tyron now

I don't think so. Daenerys is quite resistant to both advice and regret. It would be sensible to regret the deaths but to Daenerys it's all about "bending the knee". She's crazy about it. Or mad? Isnt't that in the family?

Just as a side-note to all the ranting: There have been several fine scenes in the first episode. I am not happy with everything, but it were not only Sam's scenes.

+ Jamie facial expressions are well acted when making eye connection with Bran. Such a short scene, but what an impact.

+ Sansa and Tyrion, "I had it moments" scene and then followed "I used to think you were the cleverest of men"

+ As opposed to some others I also like Arya/Gendry scene, a little bit lighter and reminiscent of seven years ago. Also depicting Arya as a little bit more normal and warm-hearted once again was nice to see.

+ The Last Hearth scenes with "I've always had blue eyes" and the burning Ned Umber were great, too.

8 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

I don't think so. Daenerys is quite resistant to both advice and regret. It would be sensible to regret the deaths but to Daenerys it's all about "bending the knee". She's crazy about it. Or mad? Isnt't that in the family?

You must have the first few episodes last season where all she did was take Tyrion's (bad) advice. Or all the times she listenedd to and took Jorah's advice the first few seasons for that matter

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

You must have the first few episodes last season where all she did was take Tyrion's (bad) advice. Or all the times she listenedd to and took Jorah's advice the first few seasons for that matter

Well, what about regret and remorse for cruel deeds of her? Why so many cruelty anyway? Good intentions and good deeds are opposites. It's very clear Daenerys is a prime example for the aphorism.

I agree, she sometimes takes advice, but more often she doesn't, particularly not in the important issues.

Do you really think she regrets having the both Tarly killed just because she met Sam? I don't think so. That'd be out of character for Daenerys. They wouldn't bend the knee, they had to die. Simply as that. No remorse.

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

Well, what about regret and remorse for cruel deeds of her? Why so many cruelty anyway? Good intentions and good deeds are opposites. It's very clear Daenerys is a prime example for the aphorism.

I agree, she sometimes takes advice, but more often she doesn't, particularly not in the important issues.

Do you really think she regrets having the both Tarly killed just because she met Sam? I don't think so. That'd be out of character for Daenerys. They wouldn't bend the knee, they had to die. Simply as that. No remorse.

So she is like every other monarch or leader in this series including Jon. And no she doesn't feel remorse for executing two traitors and nor should she feel remorse.

Just now, El Guapo said:

she doesn't feel remorse for executing two traitors 

Traitors?! They were simply opponents. There was no need to kill them. 

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

nor should she feel remorse.

She should, now after meeting Samwell. 

Interview with John Bradley on that scene. 

So finally, could Dany do anything to get him on her side? Unsurprisingly, the answer is no.

“I don’t think that Daenerys can do anything really, now. I think that Sam is very quick to make judgments and very quick to kind of write people off,” Bradley said. “I mean, she burned his family alive. It going to take an enormous gesture to kind of pull that one around, especially Dickon, who he loves … That’s a big thing to do to somebody. … I think that his whole point now is to not worry about what can she do to change his mind, it’s how can he change Jon’s mind about Dany and I think tjat that’s what his motivation is going forward.”

http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-8-john-bradley-interview/#poster

2 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Well , I couldn't agree more with Bradleys assessment of Daenerys. Cold, bankrupt of morality, psychopath, volatile, violent... he really is quite straight-forward here.

I'm with you on that. 

Regardless of how Sam felt about his father, he loved his brother dearly. 

Archived