Samwell Tarly stole the spotlight.

Danny-

1 hour ago, princess brittany said:

dany does try to do the right thing, but she didnt always think things through. she seemed to really like killing the khals in season 6. 

Well they did kidnap and imprison her, and was about to sentence her to death-by-rape.

Most people would feel triumphant and smug in her position. 

13 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

I know exactly what sociopath means. And she is one. 

And no, it's got nothing to do with the actress. 

Self entitled brat, maybe. Sociopath no, he was right, you do need to look up the meaning of the word. Sociopaths are incapable of empathy or love, both traits Dany has shown in the past. 

1 hour ago, Error-504 said:

Self entitled brat, maybe. Sociopath no, he was right, you do need to look up the meaning of the word. Sociopaths are incapable of empathy or loveaghast traits Dany has shown in the past

I'm aghast at how many posters here are completely oblivious to dynamic characters. Is literary criticism even taught these days?

On 4/19/2019 at 4:53 AM, House Cambodia said:

Indeed, and I have a hunch that by the end of the story we're going to learn that Aerys had a character arc wherein he was a good man and a good king until he deteriorated into paranoia disastrously towards the end - i.e. the very same character arc that his daughter is going through.

Set Barristan recounts in one of his chapters that Aerys started off as a good king. He believes it was the capture and imprisonment at Duskendale that changed Aerys. Barristan even mentions that he regrets rescuing Aerys and with hindsight should have let Aerys die at Duskendale. 

17 minutes ago, maiden of tarth said:

Set Barristan recounts in one of his chapters that Aerys started off as a good king. He believes it was the capture and imprisonment at Duskendale that changed Aerys. Barristan even mentions that he regrets rescuing Aerys and with hindsight should have let Aerys die at Duskendale. 

OTOH, in TWOIAF, Aerys comes over as a jerk, even before Duskendale.  

On 4/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, El Guapo said:

Olly loved his family too (who were killed and eaten by Wildings) and Sam told him just to get over it and that there were more important things going on in the world.

Sam's not doing this because he holds a grudge. If Jon has a title that outranks hers, would she be cool with it? "Would she do the same?" He's wondering if Dany would let her people get slaughtered because of her pride. Sam is basically saying Jon has to defend himself against her because she will never yield and that kind of person is extremely dangerous. That's a completely different context than what Olly did. The wildlings were beaten and cant pose as much of a threat to the realm as Dany can.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:14 PM, Ice Queen said:

Really?

"I'm waiting for an old friend."

That's all. 

Edit: Bloodraven, if I recall correctly, foresaw his own death. And didn't Bran see the destruction of the Sept of Baelor? 

It's possible that his access to anything past and present makes him good at predicting what will happen next, but I seriously doubt he can see into the future with the same clarity he can see in the past. He accesses tree's memories, allowing him to see what they saw. If he could see the future, he could tell everyone exactly what to do in the upcoming battle to ensure victory. Next episode will show whether he can or not. One common writing technique is to describe in detail a plan that will eventually fail, but don't describe the plan that will work. The fact that they showed them planning the battle means that the fighting will not go as they planned. Bran's central role in that revelation means his plan will go awry, meaning he can't see the future with clarity.

15 hours ago, Talking Hodor said:

It's possible that his access to anything past and present makes him good at predicting what will happen next, but I seriously doubt he can see into the future with the same clarity he can see in the past. He accesses tree's memories, allowing him to see what they saw. If he could see the future, he could tell everyone exactly what to do in the upcoming battle to ensure victory. Next episode will show whether he can or not. One common writing technique is to describe in detail a plan that will eventually fail, but don't describe the plan that will work. The fact that they showed them planning the battle means that the fighting will not go as they planned. Bran's central role in that revelation means his plan will go awry, meaning he can't see the future with clarity.

Maybe he sees all the different possible futures and can assign probabilities based on what's going on that very minute. The smallest detail can affect the future--think chaos theory and alternate timelines. Maybe that's why he sent Sam right that second to tell Jon. Something about that very action affected the outcome. 

Let's not forget that like Luke Skywalkers everywhere, his training is incomplete. He doesn't have the knowledge or self-discipline Bloodraven had, so he's winging it.

On 4/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, Ice Queen said:

Maybe he sees all the different possible futures and can assign probabilities based on what's going on that very minute. The smallest detail can affect the future--think chaos theory and alternate timelines. Maybe that's why he sent Sam right that second to tell Jon. Something about that very action affected the outcome. 

Let's not forget that like Luke Skywalkers everywhere, his training is incomplete. He doesn't have the knowledge or self-discipline Bloodraven had, so he's winging it.

Nah. He's just seeing what a bunch of big dumb trees have seen. Otherwise, his last words to Theon would have been 'don't  rush into a wall of White Walkers, idjit! I have a good feeling about our chances.' Instead, he kinda took off his warg glasses and told Theon he was a good man, fully expecting both of them to eat it really soon.

Archived