Dorne? Highgarden? Riverlands?

Nerevanin

What's going on with the armies of Dorne, Highgarden and Riverlands? Where are they? On whose side?

The leader of Dorne, Ellaria, joined forces with Dany. Ellaria was killed by Cersei but iirc Dorne was never conquered by Lannisters. So Dorne is a kind of independent anarchist land that no one cares about? Or are Dornish soldiers still with Dany, although they don't have a leader?

The leader of the Reach, Olenna, was also joined forces with Dany. Highgarden was later captured by Lannisters, Olenna is dead. What's up with the Tyrell army? Are they with Dany, although they don't a leader? Or are they with Cersei because the Lannisters conquered Highgarden?

As of Riverlands, Riverrun was conquered by Jaime iirc, Blackfish was killed iirc and Edmure is formally the lord of Riverlands but he is a prisoner of the Lannisters. So the Riverlands army is with Cersei?

So many armies up in the air tbh.

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

What's going on with the armies of Dorne,

The army of Dorne was destroyed when Euron attacked Yara's ships. Ellaria and one daughter is caught, everyone else perished.

Dorne is not of importance in the show, so I doubt we will learn much of the fate there.

1 hour ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

To be honest I doubt we will see or hear of them again, especially Dorne and Highgarden. We might see some kind of Riverlands force, but only if we see Edmure Tully again. 

It would be terrible if they just cast Edmure aside like this and never say anything about what happened to him. It's already bad enough that Sansa, Arya or Bran (or Jon) don't care about their uncle at all.

41 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

would be terrible if they just cast Edmure aside

"Terrible"? Why?!

He was a minor side character depicted as lame-duck and loser. He is utterly unimportant for the storyline.

Why should they waste minutes on a character like Edmure, when they even rush through some really important reunions?

9 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

"Terrible"? Why?!

He was a minor side character depicted as lame-duck and loser. He is utterly unimportant for the storyline.

Why should they waste minutes on a character like Edmure, when they even rush through some really important reunions?

Because he is not only the rightful heir to Riverlands (not that D&D care that much about such things though) but also because he is member or relative of the Stark family. They are gathering allies, "family comes first", "lone wolf dies but pack survives", but they don't care about their uncle. He also had an important role in the past (No Edmure = no Red Wedding = no dead Robb and Cat). Either kill him, or free him, I don't care, but don't leave his fate unknown.

12 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

not only the rightful heir to Riverlands

True, but why does that makes him important to the storyline or to us as spectators?

13 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

"lone wolf dies but pack survives"

That's a Stark thing, not a Tully thing. The pack is father, mother and children. Only Sansa, Arya, Jon are left -- and somehow Bran.

14 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

important role in the past

The ROLE wasn't important but he was a pawn used to set up the Red Wedding. They needed someone to get married, that's all.

I don't care at all for Edmure. They cannot handle every single minor side character and provide us with his fate.

3 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

True, but why does that makes him important to the storyline or to us as spectators?

the Tullies are, or were, one of the most important family. If we care about Starks, Lannisters, Greyjoys, Martells, Tyrells, then we should care about them too.

9 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

That's a Stark thing, not a Tully thing. The pack is father, mother and children. Only Sansa, Arya, Jon are left -- and somehow Bran.

They are still a family. Sansa tried to get Blackfish's help in S6 but ignores Edmure. She spent a lot of time in the Vale because Lysa, her non-Stark aunt, used to rule there. The Hound and Arya were going to the Vale because Lysa was the Stark's children non-Stark aunt. Robb and the Tullies were allies in the war of 5 kings because these two Houses were related. And no suddenly no one cares about Edmure. It just doesn't make sense.

12 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

I don't care at all for Edmure. They cannot handle every single minor side character and provide us with his fate.

I don't really care that much about him either but he isn't some insignificant peasant.

8 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

the Tullies are, or were, one of the most important family. If we care about Starks, Lannisters, Greyjoys, Martells, Tyrells, then we should care about them too

House Tully was never really important. Catelyn STARK was important because she was married to Ned, not because she was a Tully. Lysa was a side character used by Baelish to start the conflict. Edmure was a lame-duck needed for several lost issues. Castle Riverrun was shortly in the focus in S6. That's all.

Compared to the Houses listed above, the House Tully was pretty unimportant. The four main houses shown in the intro credits of S1-S7 were Lannister's lion, Baratheon's deer, Stark's direwolf and Targaryen's dragon. That are the FOUR important houses. Martells and Tyrells follow by screen time, Tully is known to us and provides background and relations, but "important" is something altogether different.

I am sorry, I don't want to antagonize you. You may care for whoever you want. But from my personal point of view I don't really care for Edmure. He captive somewhere. Maybe Arya should have freed him so he could have had run to some rural hide-away. Then you would be satisfied.

21 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

House Tully was never really important. Catelyn STARK was important because she was married to Ned, not because she was a Tully. Lysa was a side character used by Baelish to start the conflict. Edmure was a lame-duck needed for several lost issues. Castle Riverrun was shortly in the focus in S6. That's all.

Compared to the Houses listed above, the House Tully was pretty unimportant. The four main houses shown in the intro credits of S1-S7 were Lannister's lion, Baratheon's deer, Stark's direwolf and Targaryen's dragon. That are the FOUR important houses. Martells and Tyrells follow by screen time, Tully is known to us and provides background and relations, but "important" is something altogether different.

I am sorry, I don't want to antagonize you. You may care for whoever you want. But from my personal point of view I don't really care for Edmure. He captive somewhere. Maybe Arya should have freed him so he could have had run to some rural hide-away. Then you would be satisfied.

You can have your opinion of course. :) You think there's no point in wasting screen time on Edmure, I think that there should at least one tiny line like "Edmure died in his cell, sucks, right? House Tully is officially over." But I think we should agree to disagree about this, I think there's no reason to argue infinately about such a minor thing. :)

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I think that there should at least one tiny line like "Edmure died in his cell, sucks, right? House Tully is officially over.

I'd be fine with that. Yes, they could clean up a little though tiny lines. But again, he was not important, it would be just tying up loose ends.

All the best!

Now that the Battle for Edmure has ceased-fired, what about SweetRobin in the Vale.  Kind of a major house, his army basically is the reason that the Starks still exist, but nothing in S8 so far.  Is he still in that practice yard trying to figure out how a longbow works? 

7 minutes ago, Rob Snow said:

Now that the Battle for Edmure has ceased-fired, what about SweetRobin in the Vale.  Kind of a major house, his army basically is the reason that the Starks still exist, but nothing in S8 so far.  Is he still in that practice yard trying to figure out how a longbow works? 

The army is at Winterfell, led by Lord Royce, who seems to be fully supportive of Sansa. I think Royce prefers to stay there and face the dead, rather than go back and deal with Sweetrobin. 

27 minutes ago, Rob Snow said:

Imo yes. Sweetrobin's fate seems to be set and done as he is in safety in the Vale and there is no reason to think otherwise. When the war is over (assuming that the good guys win ofc), he'll grow up and become the lord of the Vale and live happily ever after. On the other hand, Edmure is a prisoner and his fate is not certain at all imo. Something like "I wonder if Gendry is still rowing" ;)

7 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

What's going on with the armies of Dorne, Highgarden and Riverlands? Where are they? On whose side?

The leader of Dorne, Ellaria, joined forces with Dany. Ellaria was killed by Cersei but iirc Dorne was never conquered by Lannisters. So Dorne is a kind of independent anarchist land that no one cares about? Or are Dornish soldiers still with Dany, although they don't have a leader?

The leader of the Reach, Olenna, was also joined forces with Dany. Highgarden was later captured by Lannisters, Olenna is dead. What's up with the Tyrell army? Are they with Dany, although they don't a leader? Or are they with Cersei because the Lannisters conquered Highgarden?

As of Riverlands, Riverrun was conquered by Jaime iirc, Blackfish was killed iirc and Edmure is formally the lord of Riverlands but he is a prisoner of the Lannisters. So the Riverlands army is with Cersei?

Be careful what you wish for, we wished for Dorne to be more fleshed out and we got the Sand Snakes, we wanted Euron and got Urine etc. 

6 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

What you are describing is called a plot hole. Some would say you are describing two different things: plot holes and dropped plot-lines.

In any case, as you have pointed out, there are several pretty big ones.

The Dornish soldiers were still in Dorne. The whole point of Ellaria and the Sand Snakes being on the Greyjoy ships was because they were supposed to return to Dorne and lead the Dornish armies northward towards King's Landing.

While we saw the fates of Ellaria and the Sand Snakes, the Dornishmen are just...there. We never saw Cersei do anything with them (we haven't even seen Cersei talk about the Dornish) nor did we see Daenerys go back to Dorne and personally take control of the situation there.

As far as the Reach is concerned, again...although we see Daenerys in the Reach with Tyrion, Drogon and the Dothraki, we never are clear as to what she did with the Reachmen who betrayed Olenna Tyrell but swore loyalty to her in the end. It's (slightly) implied that she left the Dothraki in the Reach and went back to Dragonstone with Tyrion and Drogon but...why? And we don't hear anything from the Reachmen who are now fighting for Dany again.

The Riverlands? Technically, the Unsullied had to march through the Riverlands in order to get to King's Landing from Casterly Rock. Maybe they took back some castles and defeated the Lannister armies in the West and the Riverlands.

Cersei did allude to the fact that Daenerys has taken over half of the south. And Daenerys did express her fears that Cersei will take back everything Daenerys has conquered in the south once she leaves. So maybe, the Riverlands is with Dany. Maybe it's split between the two of them.

Idk.

In any case, the whole point is that the showrunners are terrible writers and have completely screwed up. The Riverlands is a mess from top to bottom so they can be -- more or less -- forgiven for dropping that plotline. But the armies of the Reach and Dorne are completely intact. Unlike the Reach, Dorne is not split down the middle. They hate the Lannisters so much that they were willing to completely overlook the murder of their liege lord and his heir in order to get revenge. So, they were completely willing to fight for Daenerys if she can give them that vengeance.

7 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

Be careful what you wish for, we wished for Dorne to be more fleshed out and we got the Sand Snakes, we wanted Euron and got Urine etc. 

Aw shucks, you're so right.

God forbid that we should expect quality and artistic integrity from professionals.

Archived