Dorne? Highgarden? Riverlands?

Nerevanin

On 4/16/2019 at 6:51 AM, Nerevanin said:

What's going on with the armies of Dorne, Highgarden and Riverlands? Where are they? On whose side?

The leader of Dorne, Ellaria, joined forces with Dany. Ellaria was killed by Cersei but iirc Dorne was never conquered by Lannisters. So Dorne is a kind of independent anarchist land that no one cares about? Or are Dornish soldiers still with Dany, although they don't have a leader?

The leader of the Reach, Olenna, was also joined forces with Dany. Highgarden was later captured by Lannisters, Olenna is dead. What's up with the Tyrell army? Are they with Dany, although they don't a leader? Or are they with Cersei because the Lannisters conquered Highgarden?

As of Riverlands, Riverrun was conquered by Jaime iirc, Blackfish was killed iirc and Edmure is formally the lord of Riverlands but he is a prisoner of the Lannisters. So the Riverlands army is with Cersei?

So many armies up in the air tbh.

The Dornish 'army' is intact but still in Dorne.  Yara's fleet was ambushed before they reached Dorne to embark said army.  In actuality, the Dornish army has likely 'demobilized', and returned to their homes. 

The army of Highgarden was roundly defeated by the Lannister army and the Reachermen that allied with Cersei (eg: the Tarlys).  Other than the Tarlys, we don't know how many of the Reach houses were with the Lannister Army when it was defeated (annihilated?) by Dany.  The Reach is likely a battleground, with various houses fighting each other and the Dothraki.

The Riverlands were given to House Frey.  The Tullys are no longer Lords Paramount of the Riverlands.  That title belongs (or belonged) to the Freys.  To Walder Frey, in particular.  Riverrun was captured by Jamie, but it was turned over (or returned) to the Freys.  As of S8, we don't know what the political situation is in the Riverlands.  Has a new Lord Paramount been chosen?  The Freys could not control the territory, and the Lannister forces that had been there to assist were redeployed and then soundly defeated in battle ('Eddie the ginger' was in the Riverlands at the start of S7).  In short, the Riverlands is too much of a mess to field an army.

On 4/18/2019 at 12:34 PM, Corvinus said:

In the books, I believe Jaime arranged for Edmure to be taken to Casterly Rock.

So if in the show, Edmure remained at Riverrun as a hostage, then Arya may not have known to go there and free her uncle. Though, honestly I'm not sure Arya cares about Edmure. If he was taken back to The Twins instead, then yeah, that is a dick move from Arya to not even bother getting him out of the dungeons.

If it's like in the books, then the Unsullied should have freed Edmure at Casterly Rock.

But, ultimately, the show has stopped caring about Edmure, and the Riverlands.

Spoiler

From what I understand, Edmure is to appear in Season 8.  Not sure when or where.

The actor had other responsibilities for a bit. Such as appearing in Outlander.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:08 AM, Nerevanin said:

Mess, I haven't even realized that. A plot as giant as the titan of Braavos, if you ask me.

Not necessarily.  Arya was there to assassinate Freys.  Freeing Edmure was not part of that mission and could have jeopardized it.  (That is assuming that she knew that he was there.)  At that point, Arya was all about vengeance and not much else.

14 minutes ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

Not necessarily.  Arya was there to assassinate Freys.  Freeing Edmure was not part of that mission and could have jeopardized it.  (That is assuming that she knew that he was there.)  At that point, Arya was all about vengeance and not much else.

They should have shown the aftermath of that. Roslin Frey freeing Edmure as an example.

2 hours ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

In a decent plot one could argue that for Arya to pull her over the top assassination of Walder Frey she would need to take some time on the Twins to watch and learn about Walder's routine, rotation of guards, identify his current wife, follow her, study her manneirisms, take her face and place, all with careful planning and observation, just like she did on Harrenhal and Braavos. And it would be very improbable that she would not hear that Edmure, Walder's enemy and prize, was a hostage in the castle.

But alas this is not a decent plot, not even an average one, it is mediocre as D&D always break the very rules they've stablished and now Arya can simply be anywhere, anytime, being anyone without any cost, implication or narrative materiality. She will do and accomplish everything Dumb&Dumber think is cool without any consideration to internal coherency or verisimilitude. 

13 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Oh yeah, I remember now. And I just watched the whole series for like the 4th time a few months ago so I would remember stuff like that. A lot of good it did!

With 67 hours of information to retain, its hard to remember every detail.

13 hours ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

Hide contents

From what I understand, Edmure is to appear in Season 8.  Not sure when or where.

The actor had other responsibilities for a bit. Such as appearing in Outlander.

At least something. Thanks for letting us know. :)

13 hours ago, Saturno said:

In a decent plot one could argue that for Arya to pull her over the top assassination of Walder Frey she would need to take some time on the Twins to watch and learn about Walder's routine, rotation of guards, identify his current wife, follow her, study her manneirisms, take her face and place, all with careful planning and observation, just like she did on Harrenhal and Braavos. And it would be very improbable that she would not hear that Edmure, Walder's enemy and prize, was a hostage in the castle.

This could be true.  However, to quote myself , "Freeing Edmure was not part of that mission and could have jeopardized it.  At that point, Arya was all about vengeance and not much else."  Arya was working on her kill list.  Breaking into the prison block and freeing someone isn't part of that.

Side question - does she even know who Edmure is?  It is doubtful that she has ever even met him.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, Tywin Tytosson said:

This could be true.  However, to quote myself , "Freeing Edmure was not part of that mission and could have jeopardized it.  At that point, Arya was all about vengeance and not much else."  Arya was working on her kill list.  Breaking into the prison block and freeing someone isn't part of that.

Side question - does she even know who Edmure is?  It is doubtful that she has ever even met him.

In terms of show canon?

Robb knew Edmure well. Well enough to suggest that he and Edmure had been around each other for extended periods of time multiple times in the past. Actually, if you were to compare the show with the books, the TV show versions of Robb and Edmure had a closer relationship with each other than their book counterparts. One of the things I liked about the show.

Also Sansa and the Blackfish knew each other. The Blackfish admitted that while he hadn't seen Sansa in years, he still cared. Sansa knew him well enough to trust him with her plans to retake Winterfell and to feel comfortable asking him to help...even if it meant abandoning Riverrun.

So, there's no reason for Arya not to know who Edmure is.

Archived