Monty Python

Mosi Mynn

Life of Brian is an absolute masterpiece. I can rewatch it forever and it will never fail to amuse me. Almost every scene is a classic. 

Holy Grail is still excellent in places but does seem to be aging less well. 

I can just about manage to watch Flying Circus these days, but yeah it does seem a little dated, but I thought the same 20 years ago.

Life of Brian is a proper masterpiece, and I agree with the above: it hasn't really aged at all.

I had The Best of Flying Circus on VHS many moons ago - and that was full of the classics, which are still all great.  Occasionally BBC4 decides to show a run of Circuses and the run-of-the-mill sketches are a bit ropey.  But there's still a lot of laughs and silliness.  The Hollywood Bowl gig looks so much fun - the audience were so up for that!

What spoils Monty Python for me a bit is the fans who just regurgitate lines from movies / shows as a way of trying to be funny. However one of the reasons MP is so good is the performances and comic timing of everyone involved. 

MP does tend to have a certain type of fan who can be annoying. 

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What spoils Monty Python for me a bit is the fans who just regurgitate lines from movies / shows as a way of trying to be funny. However one of the reasons MP is so good is the performances and comic timing of everyone involved. 

MP does tend to have a certain type of fan who can be annoying. 

Did you basically just accuse Monty Python fans of being Gumbies?

Like a lot of Python stuff, Life of Brian has not aged particularly well, I'd say. Or perhaps it's fairer to say that bits of it have, but other bits haven't. For one thing, the fact that it has not one, but three, scenes that rely on 'aren't speech impediments hilarious?' looks... quite poor, in retrospect. And Cleese literally wears blackface as one of the three wise men, IIRC. OTOH, some of the writing is still relevant and sharp. 

And it's aged a lot better than some of the TV series, which can be pretty bad. Women in the series are largely either bimbos (played by actual women) or unattractive screeching harpies (played by the Pythons in drag), but mostly don't appear at all. Women being unattractive, men being gay and crude foreign stereotypes are all used as punchlines. And quite a bit of it is repetitive, relies on cultural references that are now quite obscure, or just isn't very funny to start with. For every Ministry of Silly Walks there's half a dozen skits that just aren't memorable. 

• 5 months later...

Netflix here in Canada had Monty Python's Personal Best. John Cleese's take on his personal best was very funny and worthy of inclusion in any  retrospective. I can't get the line"fucking Belgians" out of my brain.

Some of the sketches still absolutely kill me to this day, e.g. The cheese shop (which I'd not seen until I had a bad experience in a snooty (and bad) London cheese shop. Also the Alan Wicker one is brilliant. 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:26 AM, Martell Spy said:

Monty Python will get quoted every single tabletop RPG game session I've ever been at, in particular if the players are older than 35.

My group would only completely lose it if someone suffered a flesh wound.

Right up until someone reached zero hit points and was saving against shock - (ie only MOSTLY dead).  Then the Python quotes stopped and TPB kicked in.

Archived