I made a visual timeline of events

alexwebb2

... always interested in the presentation of data in different forms - but I can't see anything!
it looks totally cool though!
( i see super small stuff when zooming out but then nothing ...)

is the document browser specific?

Great work, just fantastic stuff! I appreciate the effort you put in doing this, I imagine it could take whole days, if not weeks. Truly inspiring.

Diving this deep into timelines, what mistakes (if any) did you find the most troubling - I mean it doesn't fit like a glove, all those events in the books... so I'm curious which are the most head-scratching for someone putting it together nicely.

just in case other people have the trouble i have/had ....
the page is not viewable in firefox, i had to use good old ie to see it.
and it is a great document!

and like thi4f said -

9 hours ago, thi4f said:

what mistakes (if any) did you find the most troubling - I mean it doesn't fit like a glove, all those events in the books... so I'm curious which are the most head-scratching

please tell us what were the parts that cost the most time?

On 4/18/2019 at 12:04 PM, Yaya said:

just in case other people have the trouble i have/had ....
the page is not viewable in firefox, i had to use good old ie to see it.
and it is a great document!

and like thi4f said -

please tell us what were the parts that cost the most time?

I'd say the hardest part was the Lannister movements and engagements from the opening of the war up to the Blackwater. It was greatly complicated by a few factors:

1. I'm limited to one dimension for geographic representation - the Y axis - so I wrestled with where to place the various regions. I ended up going in "NIVRWC" order: the North (N), the Iron Islands (I), the Vale (V), the Riverlands (R), the Westerlands (W), and the Crownlands (C), but that wasn't always the case - I tried out other ways of mapping it, like NVRWIC, NRIWVC, NIWRVC, etc. Everything had pros and cons, and this felt like the best overall, but it does mean that the Battle of the Fords doesn't make much sense in terms of how I'm displaying it. It is what it is.
  2. The wiki has a few instances of self-inconsistent troop levels for the Lannisters and Starks across this portion of the war, which tripped me up a bit.
  3. There's just a lot of action in a tight space on the screen, which meant a lot of manual position and linepath tweaks to keep things from overlapping.
  4. Darry! Ugh. I kept going "did I do Darry yet? yeah, Darry's done", and then realizing I was wrong and there was more. The damn thing changes hands FIVE times.

@alexwebb2 - thanks so much !  :) 

is there a chance that you might do the same sort of time line document for other series of events - such as parts of F&B or the Dunk stories?   
is there anything a interested ordinary person like me could do to help out on such a task?

On 4/20/2019 at 11:12 PM, Yaya said:

@alexwebb2 - thanks so much !  :) 

is there a chance that you might do the same sort of time line document for other series of events - such as parts of F&B or the Dunk stories?   
is there anything a interested ordinary person like me could do to help out on such a task?

That's an interesting idea. I don't think it's really possible for most of F&B, but I could see it for the Dance and the Conquest.

Do you know if anyone has put together a detailed timeline for those in the same vein as the notes that were put together for the main series? That would help a lot.

7 hours ago, alexwebb2 said:

That's an interesting idea. I don't think it's really possible for most of F&B, but I could see it for the Dance and the Conquest.

Do you know if anyone has put together a detailed timeline for those in the same vein as the notes that were put together for the main series? That would help a lot.

@Rhaenys_Targaryen and @Nittanian will probably know if there are any...

9 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Excellent work!

If there is a thing I liked the most is how do you make places/people/etc fade and then pop up again.

BTW, Did you use some software for that or just by hand?

It's a custom library I built on top of Fabric.js - I needed something that gave me a lot of control over the rendering (custom-stop line fading and color transitions, variable link sizing, link gravity, custom text positioning, shadows/blurs to represent Stannis's shadow assassin, extra graphical elements like the background book hints and comet, custom curve stops, etc) and abstracted away some of the busy work (automatic text sizing and line breaks, curve calculations, padding assignments, relative positioning, etc). That didn't exist, so I had to build it, but the end result is much better than if I had tried to use something off the shelf.

It enables me to add events like this:

this
.addEvent(['05/17/00', 'Lannister', "Red Keep", Lat.KingsLanding - 15, {id: 'cersei-to-high-septon'}], [
        ['osney-to-high-septon', 'Lannister', 'Cersei', {count: 14000}],
    ])

11 hours ago, alexwebb2 said:

It's a custom library I built on top of Fabric.js - I needed something that gave me a lot of control over the rendering (custom-stop line fading and color transitions, variable link sizing, link gravity, custom text positioning, shadows/blurs to represent Stannis's shadow assassin, extra graphical elements like the background book hints and comet, custom curve stops, etc) and abstracted away some of the busy work (automatic text sizing and line breaks, curve calculations, padding assignments, relative positioning, etc). That didn't exist, so I had to build it, but the end result is much better than if I had tried to use something off the shelf. 

It enables me to add events like this:

this
.addEvent(['05/17/00', 'Lannister', "Red Keep", Lat.KingsLanding - 15, {id: 'cersei-to-high-septon'}], [
        ['osney-to-high-septon', 'Lannister', 'Cersei', {count: 14000}],
    ])

fantastic! Are you making the library available? Just curious, I don't think I would use any time soon.

Now, to be fair I didn't notice the come, etc. Too much information I guess. But I liked how you "hint" that the Corsair King is Euron, something I strongly support.

12 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

fantastic! Are you making the library available? Just curious, I don't think I would use any time soon.

Yeah, I'll probably open source it. I have some work to do to clean it up / rip out some of the ASOIAF specific things / give it a more developer-friendly API / document it, but I think that'll happen.

Archived