I made a visual timeline of events

alexwebb2

On 4/23/2019 at 7:11 AM, alexwebb2 said:

That's an interesting idea. I don't think it's really possible for most of F&B, but I could see it for the Dance and the Conquest.

Do you know if anyone has put together a detailed timeline for those in the same vein as the notes that were put together for the main series? That would help a lot.

Not as far as I am aware. For the Conquest, I think it would be impossible. We do not have that many details, while the war lasted some two years.

For the Dance, perhaps something could roughly be put together. It helps that we have several specific dates and time periods mentioned. But the amount of detail in the timeline used for this project here cannot be achieved for the Dance. For that, I think we lack the necessary details.

Wow, amazing work! As a software guy myself, I can appreciate how much work went into this. You have definitely earned the silicon link for your chain. 

I've toyed with the idea of doing something similar, but in the form of a database instead of an image. Then it could have a browser program to do things like filter it for specific places, characters, etc. It could even do query processing like, "show me all the places where Jamie fought in a battle," or "show me all the times and places where Sandor and Arya were together."

If all your event code is written in that nice self-documenting form, it wouldn't be too tough to covert it into a rows-and-columns format for importing into a DB ... uh-oh, have I gone way off-topic here? That's the essence of it, no need to get further into the weeds ... yet ...

14 hours ago, Yaya said:

Aebram, what sort of DB you be typing about?

I've been working with SQL databases for years, so I'm very comfortable with them. For this project, a nodes-and-links structure like Neo4j might be a better choice.  But I haven't worked with them myself, and that sort of thing can be constructed easily enough with SQL tables.

Archived