Harry Strickland - Golden Company

ValarMorghulis1990

As Harry Strickland has now been introduced into the show, he has clear differences between the equivalent character of the book. Harry Strickland in the book is decribed as older and portly (also a big fan of elephants) whereas as TV Harry Strickland is obviously younger and conventionallty attractive.

Do we think this is merely a nod to the book fans or is there a clear reasoning for the differences i.e. potential romantic link? I wouldn't have thought there is time to bring in a new romantic connection at this point but who knows with D&D.

8 minutes ago, ValarMorghulis1990 said:

is there a clear reasoning for the differences

Strickland played no role so far at all. It makes sense to introduce an formerly unknown commander as strong, healthy and not too old. I think the show runners made the right decision in this case. Strickland ist just commander and nothing more.

9 minutes ago, ValarMorghulis1990 said:

potential romantic link

I don't expect that. 

37 minutes ago, L’Age d’or said:

Harry Strickland is only Strickland in name and he is actually Jon Connington, I made a video about it a while back:

Oh i totally didn't make the connection! Thanks.

10 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Anyone else thought of S1 Jamie when they saw him?

Completely, that was a factor in leading me to think there was a parallel and maybe more of an underlying role for him in the series, i.e. Jaime goes North, Strickland then directly fills that role with Cersei. Although I'd assume screentime with Strickland/Cersei will be minimal from this point so maybe not.

25 minutes ago, ValarMorghulis1990 said:

Oh i totally didn't make the connection! Thanks.

Completely, that was a factor in leading me to think there was a parallel and maybe more of an underlying role for him in the series, i.e. Jaime goes North, Strickland then directly fills that role with Cersei. Although I'd assume screentime with Strickland/Cersei will be minimal from this point so maybe not.

I think the reason they doubled the number of Golden Company in the show was to emphasise their eventual role in turning the tides of war both against the dead and in finishing off the civil war. If my assumption that Strickland is Connington from the books, then it would mean Jon has a good chance of ending up with a legendary Golden Company at his back. 

People who say they will back Jon, it makes no sense. If you believe they don't have time to introduce him as "fAegon", they don't have time to explain why they would back Jon. Cersei didn't even say anything to Harry like "I know some of you are descendants of Targaryens so you better not betray me" or him explaining why they are loyal to their contracts and not bloodlines and why and so on. How would that even work out? "Stop the show, we need to explain some background lore now to justify that they now support Jon".

Plus, who will even believe Jon?

2 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Doesn't  Jorah have a connection to the Golden company in the show? He was a member of the GC right? 

Coincidentally or not on that point, Jorah is actually merged with Jon Connington from the books.

4 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Doesn't  Jorah have a connection to the Golden company in the show? He was a member of the GC right? 

He was, before "pledging" (read: started spying on) himself to Viserys. 

1 hour ago, Error-504 said:

did anyone pickup on the seeds of discontent between Euron and the GC? it appears Euron has already killed a few of the GC soldiers (gambling). 

Yes, there might be. It might also simply be the show trying to be funny. Harry didn't look too bothered about it.

Archived