The importance of edd

Coffeewiththegods

I could be over looking something or just simply looking too much into it. D&D killed off pyp and gren pretty quickly yet they are still alive in the books. I always expected them to kill edd first(edd is one of my favorite characters) but the battle at the wall happened and edd survived. I thought surely they will kill him off sooner or later, but here we are seasons later and he’s still alive. You guys think he will survive this long in the books or has a part to play in the end? Or maybe D&D drew straws to see which one of Jons friends they would keep around? I don’t expect him to make it to the end of this season but oh boy if he does! :D

The beric and lady stone heart situation in the show is also reminiscent of this...although with that I think D&D just liked the idea of the flaming sword...beric is a badass though. I’m glad they kept him around this long.

20 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

The beric and lady stone heart situation in the show is also reminiscent of this

The is no Lady Stoneheart situation in the show. She does not exist in the show.

20 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

just liked the idea of the flaming sword

Yes, it makes for nice scenes and is a practical source of light and fire whenever needed. Gives a little bit more of a magical touch to it all. I like it somehow. Resurrections and flaming swords fit together.

Edd: We have not seen so many NW friends of Jon, so it makes sense that he still lives. I am afraid, he will die soon, though.

10 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

The is no Lady Stoneheart situation in the show. She does not exist in the show.

Yes, it makes for nice scenes and is a practical source of light and fire whenever needed. Gives a little bit more of a magical touch to it all. I like it somehow. Resurrections and flaming swords fit together.

Edd: We have not seen so many NW friends of Jon, so it makes sense that he still lives. I am afraid, he will die soon, though.

Yea I just mean that beric is dead in the books but alive in the show. Grrm apparently pushed for ladystoneheart to be in the show but D&D did not want it. 

4 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

Grrm apparently pushed for ladystoneheart to be in the show

Yeah, it would have been one more thread. Also Arya is not shown to warg in the show, only Bran does. The show is constructed simpler and it works, I reckon.

I think Edd was just a fan favourite so they kept him around and gave him a bigger role then then books. Its like what they did with Bronn. Don't get me wrong, I could see Bronn playing a part in the next book, but he will never be as prominent as his show counterpart. I feel like Pyp was killed to show that Ygritte isn't this saint, and Grenn died because in the show Jon, Alliser, and Grenn are the only badasses at the Wall, they obviously couldn't kill Jon, they needed to keep Alliser around to be Jon's nemesis, so they had Grenn take Donal Noye's badass death. 

Edd!!!!! 

Yes, they have kept him around for this long. I think Edd may survive a long time in the books as well. He keeps expecting the worst for himself, but always manages to see it through.

I do think that they've kept him on the show, because he's the sole familiar face left whenever the Night's Watch are shown, not so much because he's a fan favourite (I do suspect that he will be the LC after Jon). Unfortunately he's one of those glaring examples in the show they can't write witty dialogue for. He had no dour witty line to quip since S3. "Keep back! He's got blue eyes" might have been funny, but is not exactly a typical Dolorous Edd remark. Or at least Edd should have had a repartee on Tormund's "I always had blue eyes."

I too fear he may be a goner next episode. Though I'd wish him a long life and a dream of spring.

12 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I think Edd was just a fan favourite so they kept him around and gave him a bigger role then then books. Its like what they did with Bronn. Don't get me wrong, I could see Bronn playing a part in the next book, but he will never be as prominent as his show counterpart. I feel like Pyp was killed to show that Ygritte isn't this saint, and Grenn died because in the show Jon, Alliser, and Grenn are the only badasses at the Wall, they obviously couldn't kill Jon, they needed to keep Alliser around to be Jon's nemesis, so they had Grenn take Donal Noye's badass death. 

Obviously we don’t know who will be important in the books, but from the show point of view they could have chosen Edd to live because they prefer the actor’s skills for whatever they need the character to do in the future.

7 minutes ago, dobegrrrl said:

from the show point of view they could have chosen Edd to live because they prefer the actor’s skills for whatever they need the character to do in the future.

Maybe. If I where to take a guess I'd say he will just die in the Battle at Winterfell. The writers need more side characters like Edd, Beric, Tormund, Podrick, Davos, etc. so they can have alot of death in the fight against the Others without killing off too many main characters. 

Currently Edd is the face and voice of the (remaining) Nights Watch, just as Tormund is the face and voice of the (remaining) Wildlings. 
He himself is less important than what he represents.

What happens to him in the books is completely up in the air.

31 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Currently Edd is the face and voice of the (remaining) Nights Watch, just as Tormund is the face and voice of the (remaining) Wildlings. 
He himself is less important than what he represents.

What happens to him in the books is completely up in the air.

That's how I see it. Tormund and his group are the surviving remnants from Eastwich, and Edd's lot are all that's left of Castle Black which I assume has had to be abandoned. They just add to the secondary characters to die in the impending Battle of/under Winterfell.

I think Edd is just a popular character in the show so he was kept on as a fan favourite I guess. Same reason Bronn is still a major character despite disappearing into the ether in the book once his plot arc with Tyrion is dealt with.

Also yes, he is the only recognizable member of the Night's Watch so viewers see him and they then know that the guys with him are NW.

11 minutes ago, Lordsteve666 said:

I think Edd is just a popular character in the show so he was kept on as a fan favourite I guess. Same reason Bronn is still a major character despite disappearing into the ether in the book once his plot arc with Tyrion is dealt with.

Also yes, he is the only recognizable member of the Night's Watch so viewers see him and they then know that the guys with him are NW.

Bronn isn't gone in the books: he holds quite an important castle around KL, and Cersei ain't none to happy about it, nor that his neighbour's castle Rosby is also being held by someone who's likely not ok with the crown either. If she antagonizes them more, those castles can create a food blockade. Whoops and book-Cersei lost her fleet.

Of the secondary characters, I was reminded that Beric, Edd, and Tormund give us remnants of Brotherhood without Banners, Castle Black, and the Free Folk in the north.  I agree with others that they are probably slated for death, but I would immensely prefer that Edd get to live.

Archived