Are We Supposed to Believe Arya and The FM Have No Connection Anymore?

L’Age d’or

IIRC Arya pretty much threatened to kill the leader of FM, had her sword in his face, then rejected the fact that she was part of the society by announcing she'd never be "No one". Now did that scene imply a clean break? It seems utterly unbelievable that the ultimate secretive assassin's guild using borderline magic techniques to let someone just come in, be trained, kill a member, threaten their leader and then spit in their collective face - pun intended - and leave without repercussion. 

One scenario which could make sense would be Jaqen giving her a mission off-camera, explaining the apparent lack of backlash from the guild. The other scenario would be that there is a contract on her head and that she won't survive the ending.

A third scenario is that Jaqen invited Arya with clear intentions to begin with and knew that he would train her for another career than just being a faceless man. When he gave her that Braavos coin he lured her with the promise she might sacrifice all the people on her list to the Many-faced God. Later se seems to deviate from this promise, though.

So maybe he lets her go, because he is sure that she will sacrifice a lot of people to the Many-faced God. She will be a killer and she starts off killing all the Freys.

I am sure we are supposed to believe that there is no connection to the faceless men anymore. Arya meets her direwolf Nymeria and Nymeria recognises her. This wouldn't happen with a faceless man I guess.  Arya also shares a lot of common memories with Sansa which would not be possible for a faceless man.

40 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

A third scenario is that Jaqen invited Arya with clear intentions to begin with and knew that he would train her for another career than just being a faceless man. When he gave her that Braavos coin he lured her with the promise she might sacrifice all the people on her list to the Many-faced God. Later se seems to deviate from this promise, though.

So maybe he lets her go, because he is sure that she will sacrifice a lot of people to the Many-faced God. She will be a killer and she starts off killing all the Freys.

I am sure we are supposed to believe that there is no connection to the faceless men anymore. Arya meets her direwolf Nymeria and Nymeria recognises her. This wouldn't happen with a faceless man I guess.  Arya also shares a lot of common memories with Sansa which would not be possible for a faceless man.

I'm afraid the showrunners expect us to believe there's nothing there anymore and anyone who had a connection to Essos has made a clean break.

34 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

They're a death cult.
Killing her would result in 1 death.
Letting her "loose" would result in many deaths. 

A man is pleased.

It doesn't count if it's not in the name of the Faceless god, else there would be no reason for the FM to exist since people die every day naturally or otherwise.

1 hour ago, L’Age d’or said:

It doesn't count if it's not in the name of the Faceless god, else there would be no reason for the FM to exist since people die every day naturally or otherwise.

Arya is still a "follower" to the God of Death/Faceless God, as seen in one of the teasers.
She still kills in his name, even if she doesn't always realize it.

14 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Arya is still a "follower" to the God of Death/Faceless God, as seen in one of the teasers.
She still kills in his name, even if she doesn't always realize it.

So, you are saying she's still connected to the FM as far as the show is concerned? That'd be a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

From this teaser, I'd assume so:

Reveal hidden contents

I have seen that, but that could just be her referring to her previous experiences; still, I'd take that over the showrunners expecting the viewer to pretend that part of her life is all done with cause she killed Waif and supposedly outwitted Jaqen. 

6 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

That's just a cool badass phrase, not religious fervour.

Possibly. 
Her speaking about death as an entity, something with different faces, seems very Faceless-Man:y to me though.
It might be nothing. It might also be Arya serving the MFG in her own way without fully realizing it. 

Personally I think we've seen the last of the FM, other than Arya. They were a plot device to train Arya and make us believe that this young girl could be a badass assassin. If the FM weren't built up so much maybe we wouldn't accept Arya being such a badass, but since the FM are secret assassins who everyone fear....

I think the Faceless Men will come back with a final mission. It’s gonna be to assassinate Cersei or Euron.  I expect either Arya (wearing Jaime’s face) or Euron are the Valonqar. If it’s Euron and he’s seized the Throne, Qyburn, & the Mountain or still Cersei on the Throne, the Iron Bank will commission the hit. Jaqen will show up to give Arya the assignment & completing it will free her from her debt to the God of Death.  Of course, the Hound will tag along & take care of the Mountain while she dispatches either Cersei or Euron.

The show definitely did not do a very good job of wrapping up her dealings with the Faceless Men. I believe it's simply to keep things moving and get her back to her family and Westeros stuff, thus closing the book (heh) entirely on the Faceless Men. Forgive my derisive cynicism, but we've seen it with the direwolves, Dorne, and the like. GRRM set up a whole lot of meandering plotlines, has not wrapped up hardly any of them through five books, and the show has had to quickly slough off loads of content in the interest of show logistics.

If Jaqen or the Faceless Men in general re-appear to haunt Arya, either for vengeance or to fulfill her destiny, it will probably make a whole lot more sense in book form. I definitely think she has some important killing to do, and I somewhat confidently have her on my dead pool with my friends. I just don't think the show will bother to link it back to that plotline.

14 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Her speaking about death as an entity, something with different faces, seems very Faceless-Man:y to me though.

Yes, the phrasing is faceless-men-like. That's OK, because she got trained there and the concept of "death has many faces" makes sense anyway.

I don't think she believes in "sacrificing to the many-faced god", she just kills.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:24 AM, Kajjo said:

Sounds like a horrible way to run a super-secret assassins' guild. Not that I've run one. 

On 4/17/2019 at 8:30 AM, MinscS2 said:

They're a death cult.
Killing her would result in 1 death.
Letting her "loose" would result in many deaths. 

A man is pleased.

I dunno, they seemed pretty particular about who dies when. If death is all they want, they could open clinics and invest in weapons of mass destruction. 

On 4/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, MinscS2 said:

Possibly. 
It might be nothing. It might also be Arya serving the MFG in her own way without fully realizing it. 

You're saying the Faceless Men knew Arya would end up killing who needs to be killed anyway, so they let her go? That Arya pleases the god of death because...she's Arya? 

Are they in the habit of half-baking child assassins like this?

Archived