Which Castles are the Best at Defending Dragons?

Shpati

• 4 weeks later...
  1. Casterly Rock - Visenya herself was doubtful that dragons could take it. It seems to be the best castle for defending against aerial attacks
  2. Prime Castamere - It's mostly underground, right? It'll defend for sure, the problem is digging them out. It can defend against a dragon. Tywin on the other hand...
  3. Storm's End - On top of it's already great defence, it's said to have a magical barrier.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:20 AM, Shpati said:

Are there any castles in Westros that would do ok against a dragon attack? Or is it all the same?

All the same. Dragons are super op on purpose. Only thing that comes close is people just spreading out and hiding like drone 

I'll go with some of the others and give Greywater Watch a qualified maybe.  As mentioned, it's hard find.  You can't burn what you can't see.  Second, it's a swamp.  Fires don't really spread that well in a swamp.  Third, we don't know about Greywater Watch, other than it moves and is hard to find.  Maybe it's construction involves mud and moss or other wet and not particularly flammable materials.

Finally, there are the "magicks of the Crannogmen".  Again we don't know enough, but maybe there's something there?

I seem to recall that normal dragonfire isn’t hot enough to melt stone and that it took an exceptional Balerion sized dragon to melt Harrenhal.

Something about the wording in one of the history books kind of created the impression that Harrenhal’s fate was eye popping even for conflicts involving dragons.

So I think the stone of most castles would withstand normal dragonflame. Although the roof and other wooden structures within would all go up in flame.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:02 AM, PrinceHenryris said:

I'm by no means a geologist, but from what little I do know, sand is harder to melt than some types of stone.

I'm not sure that's right. The melting point of sand might be higher than that of the stones used to build most castles, but I should think the higher surface area of sand makes it easier to melt than a solid stone building. At least that's what I'm thinking based on that I've heard of lightning strikes melting sand (and turning it to glass as the dragon fire did) but I've never heard the same of lightning as regards large blocks of stone.

Archived