somebody clear a few things up for me ?

Just now, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Is it possible that once the show overtook the books and started to royally fcuk things up, he lost interest as with the shows coming first they are almost treated like canon ?

Possible, plus he may be distracted by off-shoots and prequels, but until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm willing to keep the faith.

3 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Uncharitable. Have you read all the books? Whilst the TV can only cover the story at the surface level, the books have deeper mythological dimensions. Each volume is a thousand pages and every page is dripping with complex links and allusions. I'm prepared to wait for as long as it takes providing the quality and depth isn't compromised. So far, my faith is unshaken.

I read the first book waaaay back when it was published in 1996. I was on maternity leave--that child is now almost 23 years old and has flown the coop. Just to put things in perspective.

I've come to the conclusion that he's never going to finish them, and the show ending might be the most we can hope for. 

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

Possible, plus he may be distracted by off-shoots and prequels, but until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm willing to keep the faith.

I chose to stick to one or the other first to prevent confusion, and as I watched the show first decided i'd read the books after the show had ended.. but this all depends on whether or not he completes them as I would hate to put all that time into them and not get a conclusion. so I hope you are right.

3 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

I think grrm has given several interviews in the last years about how the show is diferent from the books. Since season 6 that I think he isn t very happy… 

Just now, divica said:

I think grrm has given several interviews in the last years about how the show is diferent from the books. Since season 6 that I think he isn t very happy… 

Look at how the quality of the show has nosedived since they don't have the books to work from. 

2 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

I read the first book waaaay back when it was published in 1996. I was on maternity leave--that child is now almost 23 years old and has flown the coop. Just to put things in perspective.

I've come to the conclusion that he's never going to finish them, and the show ending might be the most we can hope for. 

I take there's no "Christopher" to cobble together his notes, hmm?

Just now, House Cambodia said:

I take there's no "Christopher" to cobble together his notes, hmm?

He once gave an interview (or it might have been on his blog) where he said that if anything happened to him or he didn't finish them, we're all SOL because he doesn't keep notes. That was a really long time ago, though. So no Jordanesque ghostwriter for him if that's true. 

3 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Look at how the quality of the show has nosedived since they don't have the books to work from. 

And we know that the story will be very diferent. Book euron is a real villain, we know there will be a new dance of dragons and faegon is set to beat cersei before danny even arrives in westeros. 

Having not read the books I cant comment on the differences, however from watching the show and knowing where they stopped using his material and the writers had to takeover you can definitely notice a major drop.

Almost like the show was dumbed down, all the clever dialogue/hidden meanings were gone and attentions to detail.

What I don't understand is GRRM obviously loves his work and when the show overtook the books, and he started to consider not finishing them.

Why he didn't take a more hands on approach with the show so that he could finish the story exactly like he wanted, instead of just giving the plot details and letting them fill in the rest.

At least this way he would get to write the ending like he imagined it, instead of the show going off slightly from how he imagined it and the books not being completed at all.

He would get closure on at least one of the mediums

2 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Having not read the books I cant comment on the differences, however from watching the show and knowing where they stopped using his material and the writers had to takeover you can definitely notice a major drop.

Almost like the show was dumbed down, all the clever dialogue/hidden meanings were gone and attentions to detail.

What I don't understand is GRRM obviously loves his work and when the show overtook the books, and he started to consider not finishing them.

Why he didn't take a more hands on approach with the show so that he could finish the story exactly like he wanted, instead of just giving the plot details and letting them fill in the rest.

At least this way he would get to write the ending like he imagined it, instead of the show going off slightly from how he imagined it and the books not being completed at all.

You're starting and concluding from your own premise there. You could say the reason he hasn't taken a more hands on role with the telly series is because it would distract him from getting on with the books. For me, seeing the end of the telly series won't affect my enjoyment of the next volume - or two! at all, as I'll put the show out of my mind and pick up the proper story where the last book left off.

3 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

He would get closure on at least one of the mediums

Grrm had to let the show go otherwise he would never finish the books.

Then just because grrm writes good books doesn t mean he can write a good series when he just has a couple of months to write it. Moving forward grrm would need to write things for the show that he takes years to write for the books… It isn t the same thing.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

You're starting and concluding from your own premise there. You could say the reason he hasn't taken a more hands on role with the telly series is because it would distract him from getting on with the books. For me, seeing the end of the telly series won't affect my enjoyment of the next volume - or two! at all, as I'll put the show out of my mind and pick up the proper story where the last book left off.

I think we also have to give the due credit. Besides the r+l=j that almost everyone believed the show hasn t spoiled many things about the books. Maybe the hodor moment and burning shireen, but not much more...

Just now, divica said:

I think we also have to give the due credit. Besides the r+l=j that almost everyone believed the show hasn t spoiled many things about the books. Maybe the hodor moment and burning shireen, but not much more...

Yeah. Mind you, I'm very disappointed that GRRM has recently said the way the TV series ends will be similar to the books. I'd rather not know that and have a completely open mind when turning the pages.

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

Yeah. Mind you, I'm very disappointed that GRRM has recently said the way the TV series ends will be similar to the books. I'd rather not know that and have a completely open mind when turning the pages.

Even if it ends the same way, we're all going to have a gazillion questions that will not be answered on the show. We would probably still get better closure by reading the books. 

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Yes, I somehow agree, but on the other it would be disappointing if the show and the books would go different ways. 

I still believe this is why the books need so long. GRRM waited for the show to conclude. Surely show watchers don't want to be spoilered.

2 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Even if it ends the same way, we're all going to have a gazillion questions that will not be answered on the show. We would probably still get better closure by reading the books. 

That is my opinion as well. And if grrm had said that the end of the show and the series was diferent I think it would be a disapointment. I don t want to see ashow that doesn t have a strong relation to the books...

3 minutes ago, divica said:

And if grrm had said that the end of the show and the series was diferent I think it would be a disapointment. I don t want to see ashow that doesn t have a strong relation to the books...

True, this is one story. It can't have different endings. 

3 minutes ago, divica said:

That is my opinion as well. And if grrm had said that the end of the show and the series was diferent I think it would be a disapointment. I don t want to see ashow that doesn t have a strong relation to the books...

Are you saying you DON'T want to turn to the last page and see Stannis sitting on the Iron Throne, with sweet Shereen by his side???? :stunned:

6 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Are you saying you DON'T want to turn to the last page and see Stannis sitting on the Iron Throne, with sweet Shereen by his side???? :stunned:

Exactly. Good example. If the books were to deviate to strongly from the show, it would make no sense at all.

The show compressed the books and eliminated some threads, even important ones like Lady Stoneheart. But all in all the same story is told. 

While complexity is great, the show manages to tell some stories more concisely. Sansa marrying Ramsay make a lot of sense for example. Omitting this Jeyne/Arya red herring, too.

Archived