somebody clear a few things up for me ?

5 hours ago, xander_blackfyre said:

Remember the Rebellion was named after him but it was not his Rebellion.  It was Jon Arryn that rebelled.  The rebellion was not built on a lie.  Why did Jon, Robert, and Ned rebel?  It was not because Rhaegar and Lyanna did what they did.  It was because Aerys in his madness decided after executing Rickard and Brandon and just about all the people with them that was not enough he needed the heads of Ned and Robert.  The rebellion for the Ned and Robert was about survival first and foremost.  Do they rebel even after the executions if Aerys doesnt call for their heads?  Robert only put a claim on the Iron throne after the Trident

What officially starts a war in Westeros? "Calling of the banners?" The U. S. Civil War is popularly thought to have begun with the shelling of Ft. Sumter, though the Supreme Court at some point ruled it started when Lincoln called up the volunteers. Really, you can say it started whenever Lincoln decided it would happen, which was probably before the formation of the Confederacy.

Point being there are legal technicalities, there are stories in history books, and there is real-world cause and effect. The Vale, the North, and the Stormlands taking to the field is the technical cause. The storybook version starts with the Crown Prince's alleged abduction of Robert's betrothed. Ned's father and brother die as a direct consequence of protesting to the King on behalf of Lyanna. The King calls for Ned and Robert's heads for the same reason. 

I don't know what Robert and Ned would have done without the backing of their mentor. But to say that calling for their heads was the inciting incident just means the "lie" upon which the rebellion was supposedly based is but two causal steps away from incitement. 

1 hour ago, Ice Queen said:

Look at how the quality of the show has nosedived since they don't have the books to work from. 

I haven't read the books (aside from a bit of the first one), and in my consideration the quality dropped off dramatically in season Five, when there was still some book material to work with. (There were major problems in season Four, but overall it was still superior television.)

Six and Seven I rate above Five, actually. Though they're dumber and in the case of the Wight Hunt plain ridiculous, season Five was boring and for some reason especially annoying to me. 

Maybe it was just lowered expectations. 

46 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Are you saying you DON'T want to turn to the last page and see Stannis sitting on the Iron Throne, with sweet Shereen by his side???? :stunned:

No. Actually I think stannis will lose the war (don t know in which battle) for winterfell. As long as stannis doesn t quit his quest for the IT the story in the north can t go forward… Despite what stannis is the manis fans want to believe...

13 hours ago, darmody said:

What's silly is the girl power trip the show took in season Six. Basically women ruled everywhere except the Iron Islands and the North. And that was the one place where the girl really should have inherited. Because Jon is just a bastard and Sansa is the eldest natural daughter of Ned Stark. (and Bran hadn't shown up yet, and anyway has procreation issues.) 

SHe is not the oldest daugther, but also the wife of the former Lord of Winterfell Ramsey and she conquered with her armythe North, Jon didnt do nothing.

24 minutes ago, Seaserpent said:

SHe is not the oldest daugther, but also the wife of the former Lord of Winterfell Ramsey and she conquered with her armythe North, Jon didnt do nothing.

Ramsay was only Lord because he murdered his father. I very much doubt his rule was ever recognized by King Tommen. 

Jon didn't do nothin, except assemble that Army of the North and lead it on the field of battle. Poorly, admittedly. 

3 hours ago, divica said:

No. Actually I think stannis will lose the war (don t know in which battle) for winterfell. As long as stannis doesn t quit his quest for the IT the story in the north can t go forward… Despite what stannis is the manis fans want to believe...

Let's hope he doesn't lose by demoralizing his troops after sacrificing his daughter for good weather 20 ft. from Winterfell after being crippled by 20 good men.

34 minutes ago, darmody said:

Let's hope he doesn't lose by demoralizing his troops after sacrificing his daughter for good weather 20 ft. from Winterfell after being crippled by 20 good men.

I think the troops that leave him the show represent the clansmen in the book leaving him. And I find it quite possible for several reasons. First, in asha's chapters we see how the northmen and southerns aren t getting along. That the northmen don t like them burning people to r'hllor, that they aren t happy about the march, that they think stannis has lost his way and then farya appears. 

With farya safe and very slim chances of breaking into winterfell with the conditions of stannis army the clansmen don t have many reasons to go forward. I think they are going to desert either before or after the battle against the freys and this would make the show situation very similar to what happens in the books.

Archived