The Night King and King's Landing

Dragon Glass

I was wondering if the first battle south of the wall isn't going to be at Winterfell but instead the Night King just flies down to King's Landing and "recruits" a new army there to take the city. It would fit in with Dany's visions of the Red Keep in ruins and covered in snow.

The Night King could then open up a second front on the armies at Winterfell. One made up of the Lannister's and Golden company wights.

Cersei is trying to let the army of the dead take out her enemies like Tywin would, but I think it would be justice if her plan to sit out the fight to save Westeros blew up in her face. The Night King could even turn the Mountain against Cersei and she could get the Elia Martell treatment. We could then finally see the Cleganebowl when the Mountain marches north.

I could see the Night King sending his White Walker generals and all his wights to attack Winterfell, whilst he flies South on his dragon to kill as much people as possible. I feel like Cersei wouldn't die that way though, since it would feel to anticlimactic for someone like her. 

11 hours ago, Dragon Glass said:

was wondering if the first battle south of the wall isn't going to be at Winterfell but instead the Night King just flies down to King's Landing and "recruits" a new army there to take the city.

I believe this won't happen in the show. It will be Winterfell, simply as that.

Please consider that the Nightking most probably does not have a map and no knowledge about King's Landing and all the other cities and population. We know a lot more than he does.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

I believe this won't happen in the show. It will be Winterfell, simply as that.

Please consider that the Nightking most probably does not have a map and no knowledge about King's Landing and all the other cities and population. We know a lot more than he does.

Bringing the Wight to King's Landing to prove they exist may have allowed the Night King to know the location of King's Landing and may have doomed the city. Bran also has visions in season 6 of a dragon flying over King's Landing and we can't tell when it takes place as there are images from the past and future (sept blowing up) mixed together.

This is just a theory I have because everything points to the Night King and his army just marching to Winterfell and that seems too predictable for this story. There has always been a plot twist whenever an event was so predetermined.

29 minutes ago, Dragon Glass said:

has always been a plot twist whenever an event was so predetermined.

Well, I admit that is more or less true. 

Wouldn't be too bad if the Nightking targets Cersei... however, I don't believe in it. But, yeah, who knows. 

However, the trailer with the big battle in Winterfell is quite conclusive, isn't it?

It doesn't really make sense for the NK to bum-rush Winterfell, the one place where people are expecting him and where there's an army big enough to (possibly) defeat him.

He has no logistic- or food-related issued, and all the time in the world.
If he's smart he should take the long way round WF and attack the rest of the seven kingdoms first.

Now, maybe he is "forced" by whatever magic that created him to do something at WF before being able to march south.
Guess well find out soon enough.

2 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

maybe he is "forced" by whatever magic that created him to do something at WF

Yes, or maybe he simply wants something that is in Winterfell... like Bran, for example. 

We still do not know what the intentions of the Nightking are. So it's make no sense to discuss the "ice strategy" if we don't know what they want.

54 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

We still do not know what the intentions of the Nightking are. So it's make no sense to discuss the "ice strategy" if we don't know what they want.

With that logic, we might as well shut off this forum, since 99% of the posts here are all speculation anyway. ;)

34 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

With that logic, we might as well shut off this forum, since 99% of the posts here are all speculation anyway. ;)

Well, claiming the NK make a mistake, because he does not head to King's Landing is a step ahead of that.

Usually we discuss why someone did something or what is sensinble to do, based on what we know about his intentions. In case of the NK we don't know what he wants, so it makes very little sense to discuss what he should do "better".

I actually had this thought the other day.  The battle at Winterfell will be a rope a dope.  The Night's king has the power of sight just like Bran presumably and probably been watching the events south of the wall.  We know that the Walkers are not some mindless creatures just running over and crushing thing in their path, there is method and strategic thinking involved.  So he could have been observing and scouting his enemies from afar like any good general would.  

He knows what is waiting for him at Winterfell.  Unlike at Hardhome where he was outnumber the Winterfell army knows he is coming, they are also armed with the knowledge of how to fight them and they have the weapons to do it with.  From what we know of the NK he is not likely going to fight an army of 100,000+ with the knowledge and preparation and 2 dragons with riders.  He is not at an kind of advantage, but if he had been watching the westerosi during their wars of the last few years he would note that they have a habit of falling into the trap of committing all their forces to one place while leaving others wide open.  So I think in the battle of Winterfell he is going to pull a Rob Stark, split his forces send a walker or two along with a portion(large enough to cause a problem and keep them occupied) of his army to Winterfell.  Then taking the rest past winterfell along with his dragon south through the neck and into territory that does not know he or his army exists and just like the wildlings at hardhome are ill prepared and equipped to handle them.  

6 hours ago, Obsidian Knight said:

There will be battle at Winterfell but the Night King will retreat and go south.

An NK 'retreat' would be back North.  Whilst the Nk is undoubtedly smart and a strategic thinker, he has no interest whatsoever in the Iron Throne. I can't see any reason why he'd head to KL before he's zombiefied the whole of Westeros north of the capital.

14 minutes ago, xander_blackfyre said:

From what we know of the NK he is not likely going to fight an army of 100,000+

What he sees there is an easy way to swell his army by 100,000+(inc refugees, probably nearer half a million) wights to swarm the rest of Westeros - and then Essos. He won't be aware how much dragonglass the opposition has, or will assume it's insufficient to halt his army. After all, what can 100,000 unsullied and dothraki do with their steel weapons against his undead?

35 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

What he sees there is an easy way to swell his army by 100,000+(inc refugees, probably nearer half a million) wights to swarm the rest of Westeros - and then Essos. He won't be aware how much dragonglass the opposition has, or will assume it's insufficient to halt his army. After all, what can 100,000 unsullied and dothraki do with their steel weapons against his undead?

I don't think the opposition has enough dragonglass to take them out. They need a weapon of mass destruction. 

Where does this 100,000 number come from? I think that's an order of magnitude too many. 

1 minute ago, Ice Queen said:

I don't think the opposition has enough dragonglass to take them out. They need a weapon of mass destruction. 

Where does this 100,000 number come from? I think that's an order of magnitude too many. 

People are getting confused re number of Unsullied - 10K or 100K. However, the whole of the Northern peasantry, as refugees, are crowded into Winterfell. That's at least 100K - more like 500K to swell the numbers of the undead!

5 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

People are getting confused re number of Unsullied - 10K or 100K. However, the whole of the Northern peasantry, as refugees, are crowded into Winterfell. That's at least 100K - more like 500K to swell the numbers of the undead!

I think that's really optimistic. The North was seriously depopulated after the war and was never densely populated to begin with. At most, the population of the North, on a good day, was no more than 4.5 million. And that's including the wildlings.

Anyone beyond the Wall is now a zombie. Only 4,000 made it past the Wall with Tormund. 

At most, the entire military strength of the Seven Kingdoms was 400,000. And that was before the war. All armies have been decimated, as has the populace. Assuming that no more than 1% could be mobilized for war in a pre-industrial society (and that's being generous), that would put the total population of Westeros at around 40 million. Most of those 40 million don't live in the North. Half a million alone live in King's Landing with the most densely populated area being the Reach and the bulk of the population living in the countryside.

There is NO WAY Winterfell can feed half a million people. With what? Ice cubes? It can't even feed 10K. 

Archived