US Politics: It’s Not A Crime If Your Feelings Got Hurt

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:

Wtf is up with the gang of 8 not getting to see the grand jury related redactions?  With Watergate they were able to see that shit.  

As I understand it, there has been a court decision somewhere along the way that said Congress doesn’t get to see grand jury testimony unless there’s an impeachment going on.

This title is almost as disappointing as Barr is to the media and general common decency.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

As I understand it, there has been a court decision somewhere along the way that said Congress doesn’t get to see grand jury testimony unless there’s an impeachment going on.

Not aware of any such decision.  Alternatively, there's this decision which says close to the opposite:

An Atlanta-based federal appeals court, acting in the case of a 75-year-old Georgia lynching, has reaffirmed the rights of federal judges to release grand jury records that are typically kept secret.

The decision Monday from a split 11th Circuit panel came in one of a pair of cases that legal experts are closely watching for a potential impact on the Justice Department’s latitude to make public the results of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

This title is almost as disappointing as Barr is to the media and general common decency.

Not aware of any such decision.  Alternatively, there's this decision which says close to the opposite:

I can’t remember the name of the case, but lawyers on CNN have talked about repeatedly. Perhaps a US lawyer can comment.

What I do want to say, though, you people have the most fucking corrupt government in the whole fucking world. Maybe you don’t torture people the way tin-pot governments do, you just bomb the shit out of their countries, but ounce for ounce, pound for pound, your government is fucking rotten.

Just now, Argonath Diver said:

Oh boy, apparently Trump is going to speak after he's done feeding Barr his doggie treat bag. Over/under on 90 seconds until he first says "Hillary" or "Democrats"?

90? If you'd said 9 seconds I'd give you evens. But 'no collusion' will 'trump' even that!

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I can’t remember the name of the case, but lawyers on CNN have talked about repeatedly. Perhaps a US lawyer can comment.

What I do want to say, though, you people have the most fucking corrupt government in the whole fucking world. Maybe you don’t torture people the way tin-pot governments do, you just bomb the shit out of their countries, but ounce for ounce, pound for pound, your government is fucking rotten.

Is your world limited to USA and Canada? Asia says 'hi'.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, those people on CNN are just wrong then.  Here's a good write up on it, perhaps the CNN people are referring to this:

While there is historical precedent for the House judiciary committee receiving such information, an intervening case issued by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit on April 5 may make it considerably more difficult for the judiciary committees to receive it. If the House judiciary committee wants to have even a chance of reviewing the redacted 6(e) material, it will either have to convince Barr to make arguments to that effect to the court that oversaw the Mueller grand jury proceedings or else petition the court directly. Such litigation would take time, and the outcome is uncertain—especially if Barr decides to oppose the release to the committee.

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Uh, that's a big no.

I'm so tired of everyone saying what pieces of shit that Trump and the Republicans are, but coming up with no practical way to get them out of the government.  And I'm not talking about the 2020 election.  There are enough frightened white folks in this country, fearful of what will happen in a couple of decades, when they cease to be a majority, that Trump may be re-elected.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, those people on CNN are just wrong then.  Here's a good write up on it, perhaps the CNN people are referring to this:

Uh, that's a big no.

Nope. The case was about presidents, not the hoi poloi. You are casting doubt in my mind now, it might be in the current regulations and the lawyers were saying they meant no grand jury material without impeachment.

And I grew up believing the US was the greatest shining light of democracy in the world, and constantly bragged about being the greatest light of democracy in the world, and that every country in the world should follow US example. As Nordic countries brought in enlightened laws, you people laughed at how ludicrous those laws were. Nothing matches the US, rah, rah, rah! 

Instead there is corruption at the community level against huge portions of your population, corruption at state levels, corruption at the highest levels. I honestly thought things were getting better and better, but they just get worse and worse. And because the US has always held itself out as the shining star, the reality of the lie makes the US the most corrupt.

And I grew up believing the US was the greatest shining light of democracy in the world, and constantly bragged about being the greatest light of democracy in the world, and that every country in the world should follow US example. As Nordic countries brought in enlightened laws, you people laughed at how ludicrous those laws were. Nothing matches the US, rah, rah, rah! 

I grew up in the US and never believed this.  :dunno:

Instead there is corruption at the community level against huge portions of your population, corruption at state levels

Corruption in local government is the farthest thing from exclusive to the US.  Generally, it seems you're responding that those who still expound upon (and inaccurately interpret) de Tocqueville's American exceptionalism.  I don't think many believe that anymore, especially posters on this board.

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

How dare you! Don’t make me shake my fist harder!   

Archived