Aren't Sansa & Tryion still legally married?

SansaJonRule

Don't think it matters at this point.

Neither Tyrion nor Sansa wanted to marry, and they never consummated the marriage, and neither of them (nor anyone else) are likely to try to enforce/re-ignite it at this point.

Tyrion did poke fun at it in S703 when he asked Jon if "Sansa missed him terribly?" so I do think they're still technically married, but again, it most likely won't matter.

3 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I don't really know. In the eyes of the Faith of the Seven they might be, but I doubt Sansa ever plans on going South again anyway, and the main religion in the North are the Old Gods, so it probably doesn't really matter. 

I'm pretty sure Sansa followed the Faith of the Seven, like her mother, and not the old gods, like her father.

Not that any of it matters.

23 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I'm pretty sure Sansa followed the Faith of the Seven, like her mother, and not the old gods, like her father.

Not that any of it matters.

She follows both like all of the Tully-Stark kids. 

In the books, her relationship to the Seven is a bit tenuous after Ned is beheaded on the Great Sept though she'll still mention a prayer to them on occasion but I'm unsure about her real feelings as it sounds more like habit than devotion. She's in the godswood here and she's picking at the bark of a tree. 

ACOK Sansa IV

Dontos nodded. "He made a great pyre of the trees as an offering to his new god. The red priestess made him do it. They say she rules him now, body and soul. He's vowed to burn the Great Sept of Baelor too, if he takes the city."

"Let him." When Sansa had first beheld the Great Sept with its marble walls and seven crystal towers, she'd thought it was the most beautiful building in the world, but that had been before Joffrey beheaded her father on its steps. "I want it burned." 

"Hush, child, the gods will hear you."

"Why should they? They never hear my prayers."

"Yes they do. They sent me to you, didn't they?"

Sansa picked at the bark of a tree. She felt light-headed, almost feverish. "They sent you, but what good have you done? You promised you would take me home, but I'm still here."

ASOS Sansa VII

When Sansa opened her eyes again, she was on her knees. She did not remember falling. It seemed to her that the sky was a lighter shade of grey. Dawn, she thought. Another day. Another new day. It was the old days she hungered for. Prayed for. But who could she pray to? The garden had been meant for a godswood once, she knew, but the soil was too thin and stony for a weirwood to take root. A godswood without gods, as empty as me. 

To the OP:

ASOS Tyrion IV (Tywin speaking)

"She is old enough to be Lady of Winterfell once her brother is dead. Claim her maidenhood and you will be one step closer to claiming the north. Get her with child, and the prize is all but won. Do I need to remind you that a marriage that has not been consummated can be set aside?" 

52 minutes ago, Mystical said:

It doesn't freaking matter because D&D don't understand the world. They had Sansa marry someone else, therefor they consider her and Tyrion's marriage was over. That's something they can't walk back now.

The End

For some reason I thought the Boltons got her first marriage annulled. 

1 minute ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

I'm sure someone did, off-screen somewhere. That was my whole point. They married her to Ramsey and figured that was the signal to the audience that the marriage with Tyrion was over.

That so many people are still asking if Tyrion and Sansa are still married even into S8, just shows again how D&D are made of fail.

2 hours ago, Lollygag said:

She follows both like all of the Tully-Stark kids. 

In the books, her relationship to the Seven is a bit tenuous after Ned is beheaded on the Great Sept though she'll still mention a prayer to them on occasion but I'm unsure about her real feelings as it sounds more like habit than devotion. She's in the godswood here and she's picking at the bark of a tree. 

ACOK Sansa IV

Dontos nodded. "He made a great pyre of the trees as an offering to his new god. The red priestess made him do it. They say she rules him now, body and soul. He's vowed to burn the Great Sept of Baelor too, if he takes the city."

"Let him." When Sansa had first beheld the Great Sept with its marble walls and seven crystal towers, she'd thought it was the most beautiful building in the world, but that had been before Joffrey beheaded her father on its steps. "I want it burned." 

"Hush, child, the gods will hear you."

"Why should they? They never hear my prayers."

"Yes they do. They sent me to you, didn't they?"

Sansa picked at the bark of a tree. She felt light-headed, almost feverish. "They sent you, but what good have you done? You promised you would take me home, but I'm still here."

ASOS Sansa VII

When Sansa opened her eyes again, she was on her knees. She did not remember falling. It seemed to her that the sky was a lighter shade of grey. Dawn, she thought. Another day. Another new day. It was the old days she hungered for. Prayed for. But who could she pray to? The garden had been meant for a godswood once, she knew, but the soil was too thin and stony for a weirwood to take root. A godswood without gods, as empty as me. 

To the OP:

ASOS Tyrion IV (Tywin speaking)

"She is old enough to be Lady of Winterfell once her brother is dead. Claim her maidenhood and you will be one step closer to claiming the north. Get her with child, and the prize is all but won. Do I need to remind you that a marriage that has not been consummated can be set aside?" 

Love book cannon

Nothing about Sansa's marriages make any sense by the church's and European laws of what constitutes a marriage in medieval times.

i.e even by book blablableat, Sansa's marriage to Tyrion was not set aside by any institution that has the authority to do so.

Though what Westros authority there is that could do that -- who knows?  It's yet another element that makes no sense coz retro fit.

29 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

How would they have done that, exactly? Sansa was a fugitive wanted for kingslaying and the crown didn't want her marrying anyone else. Could some rogue priest have done it on his own, as apparently happened with Jon's daddy?

Rhaegar was Crown Prince. I dunno if a backstabbin' upstart Warden of the North who's about to defy the crown has that kinda pull. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Nothing about Sansa's marriages make any sense by the church's and European laws of what constitutes a marriage in medieval times.

i.e even by book blablableat, Sansa's marriage to Tyrion was not set aside by any institution that has the authority to do so.

Though what Westros authority there is that could do that -- who knows?  It's yet another element that makes no sense coz retro fit.

I kind of recall that Petyr was acutely aware that Sansa is still married in the books. I think he perhaps hopes that Cersei is successful in finding and killing Tyrion, but I have no doubt Book Littlefinger has a plan to get Sansa out of it when the time is right. It just really hasn't come up yet as an urgent point of business.

Tywin had the marriage of Tyrion and Tysha annulled by a septon in the books. (well, he said it was undone as if it had never been according to the septons. Whether he did or not, Tyrion believes him so it appears to be a thing)

Show canon is different - they do whatever they want and don't give a shit.

7 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Tywin had the marriage of Tyrion and Tysha annulled by a septon in the books. (well, he said it was undone as if it had never been according to the septons

The marriage wasn't consummated, so any septon could've annulled the marriage. Which was most likely what happened in Winterfell.
Roose forced the Septon there to anull the marriage and have Ramsay marry Sansa in stead.

It would've been smart for D&D to show this on TV, since it provides a bit of background for the annulment of Rhaegar and Elya's marriage as well. It shows the viewers that marriages can be broken, even if the wedding was done in the face of the gods.
*Now muttering something about foreshadowing and missing things in the show, that would've made for a better story all together.

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

Except when discussing show issues

You said Sansa only follows the Seven and if there's anything in the show about this, I've missed it, so I assumed you were referring to the books. 

17 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Don't think it matters at this point. Neither Tyrion nor Sansa wanted to marry, and they never consummated the marriage, and neither of them (nor anyone else) are likely to try to enforce/re-ignite it at this point.

I agree.

"Legal" is not really an argument in Westeros. They told us Sansa could marry Ramsay Bolton because the marriage to Tyrion was never consummated. 

Archived