Kingslayer - Jaime kills the Night King

57 minutes ago, direwoofwoof said:

Love the idea of the prosthetic hand somehow being useful. The most traumatizing thing for a warrior, losing his sword hand, becomes a saving grace. If it doesn't save everyone, per the OP, maybe just Brienne? I have an awful feeling she will die in the battle based on show tonight.

The other thing we were reminded of this episode was that Sam was the first person to kill a white walker. However he gives his blade to Ser Jorah.

If killing the Nights King kills the White Walkers he turned, then he can't die in episode 3. But if he is killed in episode 3, the people who kill him can't survive.

19 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Bran will let Jamie off the hook

Yep, he did. I was very intrigued when Bran told Jaime he would be the same man if he HADN'T pushed Bran out that window. I guess it's because even though he didn't feel remorse for a long time, it did start to weigh on him. The fact that Bran would still be Brandon Stark is self explanatory.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:17 PM, darmody said:

His redemptive arc stopped back in season Four when he released Tyrion. He was acting like season One Jaime again when he retook the Riverlands. 

No it didn't. redemption is a process, not an overnight event. He still had a duty to his house and family, but deep inside he was changing.

Oh, and I think it would be very poetic and awesome if Jaime killed the NK, although Jon seems the obvious choice. However, this is GRRM we're talking about, and he likes to surprise us.

6 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

No it didn't. redemption is a process, not an overnight event. He still had a duty to his house and family, but deep inside he was changing.

Oh, and I think it would be very poetic and awesome if Jaime killed the NK, although Jon seems the obvious choice. However, this is GRRM we're talking about, and he likes to surprise us.

Well, that process stopped at the end of season 4. It didn't start up again until he rode away from King's Landing. Unless you count allowing Brienne to talk to the Blackfish and get away, in the meantime he did nothing but serve Mad Queen Cersei. 

6 minutes ago, darmody said:

Well, that process stopped at the end of season 4. It didn't start up again until he rode away from King's Landing. Unless you count allowing Brienne to talk to the Blackfish and get away, in the meantime he did nothing but serve Mad Queen Cersei. 

I think there were hints, like the look of disapproval on his face when Cersei assumed the throne, and there was something he said about Tommen's death that struck me as a hint of his internal struggle, but I can't remember what it was. He also met with Tyrion in S7, even though after Tyrion killed their father he regretted helping to set him free.  When you are as rotten as Jaime was at first, it's a LONG road to redemption, and he's bound to have setbacks along the way. It's kind of like people who convert to Christianity or some other religion often find it difficult to give up their old ways completely, and it's a journey with successes and setbacks along the way.

4 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Yep, he did. I was very intrigued when Bran told Jaime

I am glad I predicted this one correctly. Bran let Jamie knew that he is aware of everything "Things we do for love" but accepts Jamie anyway. Great scenes, both of them, i.e. trial and weirwood.

Looks like someone beat me to it.  I was thinking that Jaime was going to be the one to kill the Night King even after episode 1.  After episode 2, I'm even more convinced, especially after learning that Bran will be used as Night King "bait."

I believe Jaime is destined to kill the Night King (therefore becoming the Night King Slayer) and does it in episode 3.  The battle will seem lost, with the Night King just about to get to and kill Bran.  I can envision Jaime charging the Night King in the same manner he charges Dany in the Field of Fire.  But this time he hits his mark and kills the Night King, and also becomes mortally wounded in the process.  He'll probably die in Brienne's arms, possibly confessing his love for her.  It will have the perfect symmetry as he was the one to push Bran out the window in the beginning, but now he is the one to save Bran from the Night King.

7 hours ago, A Time for Starks said:

Looks like someone beat me to it.  I was thinking that Jaime was going to be the one to kill the Night King even after episode 1.  After episode 2, I'm even more convinced, especially after learning that Bran will be used as Night King "bait."

I believe Jaime is destined to kill the Night King (therefore becoming the Night King Slayer) and does it in episode 3.  The battle will seem lost, with the Night King just about to get to and kill Bran.  I can envision Jaime charging the Night King in the same manner he charges Dany in the Field of Fire.  But this time he hits his mark and kills the Night King, and also becomes mortally wounded in the process.  He'll probably die in Brienne's arms, possibly confessing his love for her.  It will have the perfect symmetry as he was the one to push Bran out the window in the beginning, but now he is the one to save Bran from the Night King.

I like it!

10 hours ago, Kajjo said:

I am glad I predicted this one correctly. Bran let Jamie knew that he is aware of everything "Things we do for love" but accepts Jamie anyway. Great scenes, both of them, i.e. trial and weirwood.

He not only accepts Jaime. Remember how he fought against becoming the 3ER? He has also accepted his own fate, and perhaps even embraces it.

These theories are pretty ridiculous, in my opinion. I don't think the idea of Jaime landing the killing blow on the Night King is all that unreasonable, but getting to that point would be difficult; Jaime already admitted he's not the fighter he used to be-- he lost his sword hand. This guy will be useless in a 1v1, but he may prove a valuable aid in a fight. 

I can see Jaime assisting in a fight vs the Night King. In a close-encounter where he defends Bran and assists in the kill is surely possible. Anything beyond this... it would just make the Night King look extremely pathetic. I don't know why fans entertain these ideas. 

14 minutes ago, Nihiloth90 said:

These theories are pretty ridiculous, in my opinion. I don't think the idea of Jaime landing the killing blow on the Night King is all that unreasonable, but getting to that point would be difficult; Jaime already admitted he's not the fighter he used to be-- he lost his sword hand. This guy will be useless in a 1v1, but he may prove a valuable aid in a fight. 

I can see Jaime assisting in a fight vs the Night King. In a close-encounter where he defends Bran and assists in the kill is surely possible. Anything beyond this... it would just make the Night King look extremely pathetic. I don't know why fans entertain these ideas. 

Well, first off welcome to the forum since this is your first ever post and you just joined this place less than a day ago. Guess what, this is what happens here. People discuss their thoughts and opinions, some are far fetched...some seem far fetched and then they happen.

As to your thoughts. Jaime is not useless 1 vs 1, if you remember he held his own in the battle with Danys' dragon and the Dothraki last season. Anyone who can kill Dothraki on horseback is far from useless. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Well, first off welcome to the forum since this is your first ever post and you just joined this place less than a day ago. Guess what, this is what happens here. People discuss their thoughts and opinions, some are far fetched...some seem far fetched and then they happen.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Jaime is not useless 1 vs 1, if you remember he held his own in the battle with Danys' dragon and the Dothraki last season. Anyone who can kill Dothraki on horseback is far from useless.

He may have been a skilled sword fighter in his hay day, but he's an aged, broken (physically and emotionally) man. And he may have plot armor, but he's not invincible, the way fans like to think.

Let's be realistic; the Night King will need a formidable foe. We already know he has some interest in Jon Snow. Which is why I say Jaime will be play the role of an assist, or someone who sacrifices himself to save another. It's not realistic to think he'll be able to stand toe to toe with the best of the undead forces. Could be wrong, but I'd cringe if he, as tarnished as he is, was shown to still be on par with Jon Snow or Brienne-- but not only that, to be the one who actually defeats the Night King in single combat. Would be very cringy, in my opinion!

56 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

The Mountain vs the NK. Now there is a twist. 

(somebody go get nonono, a new theory for him to explore). 

I would *genuinely* love to see how well Qyburns necromancy stacks up to the Nightkings necromancy.

2 hours ago, Nihiloth90 said:

He may have been a skilled sword fighter in his hay day, but he's an aged, broken (physically and emotionally) man. And he may have plot armor, but he's not invincible, the way fans like to think.

Let's be realistic; the Night King will need a formidable foe. We already know he has some interest in Jon Snow. Which is why I say Jaime will be play the role of an assist, or someone who sacrifices himself to save another. It's not realistic to think he'll be able to stand toe to toe with the best of the undead forces. Could be wrong, but I'd cringe if he, as tarnished as he is, was shown to still be on par with Jon Snow or Brienne-- but not only that, to be the one who actually defeats the Night King in single combat. Would be very cringy, in my opinion!

Don't plot armor and invincibility go hand in hand, isn't that basically what the term means? You scoff at invincibility and then mention Jons name, the king of plot armor and invincibility! 

Understand, my post never said Jaime WOULD be the one, and I don't think he will., we were discussing COULD he be the one. IMO he has shown that he could kill the NK, I mean for all we know the NK could suck at fighting. The only thing we've seen him do is throw up a spear, perfectly of course, and throw up his hands to raise the dead. How does anyone know if he can handle himself in hand to hand, sword combat?

On 4/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

How would you react if Jaime of all people was the one to defeat the Night King?

Kingslayer would become a Hero of Legend.
And maybe after that he would become Hand of the Queen and be known has Goldenhand The Just.

The irony would be that GRRM/D&D would make us love the character we hated since Episode 1 the one who tried to kill a 10 year old boy for love.

Disclaimer: To me Jaime is one of the most interesting characters of ASOIF and best arc in the books and also show. A true tragic hero/anti-hero.

I would love the idea, but like Qyburn's weapon, how can he shoot with one hand? I believe the NK would be riding Viserion, wouldn't you? 

Someone else in another thread had a valid point that the NK might be further south burning the Capitol and the newly new Golden Company army there. I'm unsure because he may be drawn to Winterfell to take out the two remaining dragons...

Archived