Kingslayer - Jaime kills the Night King

10 hours ago, Remember said:

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that he killed the Karstark son in the war camp prison, as well as a bunch of Northern soldiers as they tried to capture him. That and the fact that Catlynn releasing him was a major factor in the Karstark Lord killing the Lannister kids, which directly led to the beheading of said Lord, and the doom of the original KITN. 

You can argue it was a major reason, along with the Talissa storyline, that the Bolton's betrayed the Starks at the Red Wedding. 

Honestly, I love Jaime now, but he shouldn't leave that meeting alive. I feel that, like many of the poor GOT storytelling decisions of late, the entire focus on S8E2 will be on Danny's Jaime hate(stupid for her to hold such a grudge knowing who her father really was), and Bran (who will obviously forgive him), vs the hate of the Northern Lords that have true reason to want him dead. 

I hadn't forgotten about that, as much as Jaime has become a better person, he still betrayed a lot of Northern Lords and should be tried and punished for them. I don't think he should die, because they need all the men they can get in the Great War and he is willing to fight for them. I got the impression from the preview that he was on trial for killing King Aerys' which is wrong. So much has happened since then and he did everyone a favor, Daenerys knows this so I don't understand where are the anger has come from. 

15 hours ago, princess brittany said:

she just wants to kill everyone that has done bad things to her family. if i remember right she had visery killed for threatening her unborn son. do jon, sansa and arya know that jamie push bran?

Yes I think so. I'm sure someone will have told them at some point if they didn't already know. I think Sansa knew. I'm not sure about Arya though because she definitely would have had Jaime on her list if she did. 

5 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Yeah, seems all the wine and alcohol finally started affecting his brain.
I love(d) Tyrion, but he's been remarkably stupid for the last 2 seasons.

Unless there really is a plot where he plans on betraying Daenerys in favor of Cersei, which would be so out of character for him that they'd ruin the character completely.

This is the thing that I just don't get. I love Tyrion and he has been one of the most intelligent and cunning people in this whole show. When he was the Hand under Joffrey, he did a great job. But once he became the hand under Dany, everything he has suggested has been wrong. I would love to see the old Tyrion back.

1 hour ago, cirah1712 said:

He had to do what Cersai told him to do, or he would have most likely been imprisoned or killed. He finally got away from her and she wants him dead? Leaving Cersai to go fight for the Starks was something season 1 Jaime wouldn't have even joked about? Are you telling me he's gone back to how he used to be? 

Season One Jaime hadn't seen a zombie, nor had his sister turned into the Mad Queen. I'm saying he was how he used to be during season Five when he retook the Riverlands, then he got home and realized what a horrible person his sister is. Then he did nothing. Which meant his character was frozen in place.

I don't see why it's so likely he'd have been killed or imprisoned had he opposed her. He had Lannister forces, a better claim to the throne, a better relationship with the Kingsguard, and hadn't just committed various heinous acts. All she had were Zombie Mountain and Qyburn. Cersei let herself be alone with him who knows how many times. The only reason she seems so formidable is that the show insists she must be. 

He did finally break free, but too late for character development. Two whole seasons of regression have not been compensated for. The giant betrayal of Cersei using the Mad King's store of wildfire still hasn't been addressed. 

Walking away did little to change anything in my opinion. He could become a hero in the North, but he better go kill his sister at some point. 

19 minutes ago, Bran Snow said:

This is the thing that I just don't get. I love Tyrion and he has been one of the most intelligent and cunning people in this whole show. When he was the Hand under Joffrey, he did a great job. But once he became the hand under Dany, everything he has suggested has been wrong. I would love to see the old Tyrion back.

He had to be wrong, I suppose, because the show needs Cersei on the throne for as long as possible. Also because it needed Danny to save the day in Mereen. 

The simplest answer is that Show Tyrion has run out of Book Tyrion to draw upon. 

The show needs cersei on the Throne because it cant have fAegon, the fact that they brought the golden company to serve her just proves this to me, so the same way cersei kept frozen in a place she didn't belong, so did jaime, by the time of the death of Tywin jaime was already completely fed up with her BS.

On 4/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

How would you react if Jaime of all people was the one to defeat the Night King?

Kingslayer would become a Hero of Legend.

And maybe after that he would become Hand of the Queen and be known has Goldenhand The Just.

The irony would be that GRRM/D&D would make us love the character we hated since Episode 1 the one who tried to kill a 10 year old boy for love.

Disclaimer: To me Jaime is one of the most interesting characters of ASOIF and best arc in the books and also show. A true tragic hero/anti-hero.

There's not a Night King in the books (well, at least not yet) but I think the bold green text will happen in the books. Jaime, Melisandre, Arya, Bran and Brienne seem to be the best options in the books.

Not in the show though. I think they are focusing on the big hero being Jon Snow.

It's possible that Jaime does kill the Night King, but maybe the new Kingslayer moniker will be as hollow as the last one.  

As Jaime said, "You don't need a king, any knight can make a knight." The other White Walkers are kinda like knights and the human-alliance are going all in on the assumption that killing the Night King will kill all the other Others.  

But what if it doesn't? They throw everything at the Night King and actually manage to kill him...only for the remaining White Walkers to keep going and make new White Walkers.

5 hours ago, darmody said:

Season One Jaime hadn't seen a zombie, nor had his sister turned into the Mad Queen. I'm saying he was how he used to be during season Five when he retook the Riverlands, then he got home and realized what a horrible person his sister is. Then he did nothing. Which meant his character was frozen in place.

I don't see why it's so likely he'd have been killed or imprisoned had he opposed her. He had Lannister forces, a better claim to the throne, a better relationship with the Kingsguard, and hadn't just committed various heinous acts. All she had were Zombie Mountain and Qyburn. Cersei let herself be alone with him who knows how many times. The only reason she seems so formidable is that the show insists she must be. 

He did finally break free, but too late for character development. Two whole seasons of regression have not been compensated for. The giant betrayal of Cersei using the Mad King's store of wildfire still hasn't been addressed. 

Walking away did little to change anything in my opinion. He could become a hero in the North, but he better go kill his sister at some point. 

He is in danger of being killed by Cersei. She has given Bronn a crossbow and told him to kill both of her brothers with it if he ever sees them again. He re-took River run, yes, but he wasn't cruel about it and he tried to avoid using force for as long as possible. And he didn't let Cersei have her way when it came to killing Olenna after taking Highgarden. Up until now, Jaime had no reason to leave Kings Landing. He was in a pretty good position, and his life was not in danger, because he knew Cersei would never hurt him as long he didn't hurt her. When he saw the Wight, and found out that Cersei had no intention if fighting them, he had a reason to leave, and a big enough reason to leave, knowing he would be betraying Cersei and walking into a place full of people he had previously betrayed. Their has been development, constant development, but redemption doesn't happened over night. 

A lot of misunderstanding in this thread. 

Jamie's atrocities  against the North, happened in a time of war. So if fighting on the other side is a crime, why have they forgiven the Umbers and Karstraks. The North should have no major gripes against Jamie. He had nothing to do with the Red Wedding, nor did he have anything to do with the beheading of Ned Stark. 

Dany and Jon even tolerating a trial is laughable. Did they not just come to an agreement with Cersei for a truce, and to fight the WW's together? Jamie is on trial for being the only one that honored that agreement? It makes zero sense. 

No one knows he pushed Bran out the window, with the possible exception of Bran himself. I am not sure why people think this. The one conspiracy in regards to Bran was the attempted assassination after the fall. There is no reason to believe  anything other than Bran just fell. 

I love the idea of Jamie being the PtwP. I think he is the third head of the dragon. 

Did anyone notice the change in facial expressions during the preview of his trial scene? he looked suddenly shocked, I wonder if he turns his head tto look at Bran at this moment, and what is being said. I think the look on Jamie face is shock, as Bran is standing up for him, and that is the last place he expected help to come from.  

3 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

A lot of misunderstanding in this thread. 

Jamie's atrocities in against the North, happened in a time of war. So if fighting on the other side is a crime, why have they forgiven the Umbers and Karstraks. The North should have no major gripes against Jamie. He had nothing to do with the Red Wedding, nor did he have anything to do with the beheading of Ned Stark. 

Dany and Jon even tolerating a trial is laughable. Did they not just come to an agreement with Cersei for a truce, and to fight the WW's together? Jamie is on trial for being the only one that honored that agreement? It makes zero sense. 

No one knows he pushed Bran out the window, with the possible exception of Bran himself. I am not sure why people think this. The one conspiracy in regards to Bran was the attempted assassination after the fall. There is no reason to believe that anything other than Bran just fell. 

I love the idea of being the PtwP. I think he is the third head of the dragon. 

Did anyone notice the change in facial expressions during the preview of his trial scene? he looked suddenly shocked, I wonder if he turns his head tto look at Bran at this moment, and what is being said. I think the look on Jamie face is shock, as Bran is standing up for him, and that is the last place he expected help to come from.  

i think its sansa that is.

As we learned from Ser Barristan, who had been knighted by Aegon V Targaryen himself, once a Kingsguard always a Kingsguard. Ser Jaime's destiny is to lay down his charge in exchange for the life of that king whose father he could not save at the Trident: Aegon VI* and Last.

In the annals of the White Book it will be written by the next Lady Commander of the Whitecloaks that with his final act of selfless duty was Ser Jaime’s honour well and truly redeemed in the final accounting of all his life’s deeds.

* Or more likely Aegon VII and Last if the book's Blackfyre shill claims the title of Aegon VI.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:59 PM, dbunting said:

The Night King swings his weapon and Jaimes fake hand catches it, and he doesn't turn to ice and bust like all humans do...

Love the idea of the prosthetic hand somehow being useful. The most traumatizing thing for a warrior, losing his sword hand, becomes a saving grace. If it doesn't save everyone, per the OP, maybe just Brienne? I have an awful feeling she will die in the battle based on show tonight.

14 minutes ago, direwoofwoof said:

Love the idea of the prosthetic hand somehow being useful. The most traumatizing thing for a warrior, losing his sword hand, becomes a saving grace. If it doesn't save everyone, per the OP, maybe just Brienne? I have an awful feeling she will die in the battle based on show tonight.

Why doesn't he have a prosthetic blade is my question. 

6 hours ago, lidsa said:

It's possible that Jaime does kill the Night King, but maybe the new Kingslayer moniker will be as hollow as the last one.  

As Jaime said, "You don't need a king, any knight can make a knight." The other White Walkers are kinda like knights and the human-alliance are going all in on the assumption that killing the Night King will kill all the other Others.  

But what if it doesn't? They throw everything at the Night King and actually manage to kill him...only for the remaining White Walkers to keep going and make new White Walkers.

With four episodes to go, it is pretty clear that there has to be at least one plot twist.

And when Jamie was knighting Brienne, I was thinking, 'yes any knight can make a knight, but why not have the Queen or the King in the North do it?'

This sounds to me like it could be the reason at least as far as the show goes. The books strongly suggest that the Nights King can only be killed using lightbringer. But there hasn't been any mention of lightbringer in the show. and we only got the most perfunctory mentions of Dawn.

Book spoilers are irrelevant at this point as it is clear that the show isn't following the book. In fact I have to wonder if GRRM has even been watching the show. Probably the last thing he needs.

Archived