Who is Jon Snow?

LadyBlackwater

On 4/23/2019 at 1:55 AM, LadyBlackwater said:

Because in the books, Aegon is alive and well and traveling with Jon Connington to Griffins Roost. This tells me that Jon Snow will be a different targaryen since, well, seats taken for Aegon. While it is obvious that R+L=Jon Snow, what I'm saying is he may not be legitimate if Rhaegar and Lyanna never married in the books. That's what I was saying. How would Jon Snow be Aegon if Aegon is alive and well at Griffins Roost.

It doesn't make sense for Rhaegar to name his son by Lyanna Aegon as he already had a son named Aegon. As for legitimacy, we don't know for sure but the presence of the kingsguard at the Tower of Joy hints at Jon being the legitimate heir to the throne. Polygamy isn't exactly unheard of in the Targaryen dynasty.

9 hours ago, Loge said:

It doesn't make sense for Rhaegar to name his son by Lyanna Aegon as he already had a son named Aegon. As for legitimacy, we don't know for sure but the presence of the kingsguard at the Tower of Joy hints at Jon being the legitimate heir to the throne. Polygamy isn't exactly unheard of in the Targaryen dynasty.

YES!! That's what I'm saying:) I really don't think Lyanna would name her son the same name. I am SO excited to see further down Jon Snows path!

On 4/23/2019 at 2:56 PM, Xemi said:

Why does the numbering matter?

Just in that one would be the child of Rhaegar and Elia (Fire and Sand, which is Aegon the VI) and the other would be of Rhaegar and Lyanna (Fire and Ice, which is Aegon VII).

13 hours ago, Loge said:

We know Rhaegar was initially a huge book worm. Is it not plausible that the time between having his child by Elia, Aegon VI, and what we assume is Jon, being Aegon VII, he would have discovered this Ice and Fire prophecy? I don't have timelines and info available because I am at work but he could have decided to name him Aegon VII because he found the prophecy and knew he would be fulfilling a huge prophecy for mankind, thus following in Aegon I's foot steps in a way? 

I'm not saying it's NOT weird, I'm just saying, it isn't SOOO absurd...

2 hours ago, Wik said:

Just in that one would be the child of Rhaegar and Elia (Fire and Sand, which is Aegon the VI) and the other would be of Rhaegar and Lyanna (Fire and Ice, which is Aegon VII).

We know Rhaegar was initially a huge book worm. Is it not plausible that the time between having his child by Elia, Aegon VI, and what we assume is Jon, being Aegon VII, he would have discovered this Ice and Fire prophecy? I don't have timelines and info available because I am at work but he could have decided to name him Aegon VII because he found the prophecy and knew he would be fulfilling a huge prophecy for mankind, thus following in Aegon I's foot steps in a way? 

I'm not saying it's NOT weird, I'm just saying, it isn't SOOO absurd...

No one names a BABY Aegon VI or Aegon VII  The number only comes into it when one takes the throne.  There were a few other Aegon Targaryens, one was even called Aegon The Uncrowned, LOL  So, no, there wouldn't be a baby named with a number. 

4 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

No one names a BABY Aegon VI or Aegon VII  The number only comes into it when one takes the throne.  There were a few other Aegon Targaryens, one was even called Aegon The Uncrowned, LOL  So, no, there wouldn't be a baby named with a number. 

Dad: hey Aegon, go call your brother Aegon! :D

To the OP:

Jon Snow is Jon Snow, King of Winter. ;)

There is two Aegons in the show too, one is just known as having died. So in the show Rhaegar named both sons Aegon (or Lyanna did in Jon’s case). Could be he knew one would die. Could be that Summerhall’s burning had been someone trying to prevent a prophecy from happening, so this time the first Aegon was a decoy.

7 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

There is two Aegons in the show too, one is just known as having died. So in the show Rhaegar named both sons Aegon (or Lyanna did in Jon’s case). Could be he knew one would die. Could be that Summerhall’s burning had been someone trying to prevent a prophecy from happening, so this time the first Aegon was a decoy.

You speak as if Rhaegar had two sons named Aegon in the books. 

On 4/23/2019 at 12:55 AM, LadyBlackwater said:

Because in the books, Aegon is alive and well and traveling with Jon Connington to Griffins Roost. This tells me that Jon Snow will be a different targaryen since, well, seats taken for Aegon. While it is obvious that R+L=Jon Snow, what I'm saying is he may not be legitimate if Rhaegar and Lyanna never married in the books. That's what I was saying. How would Jon Snow be Aegon if Aegon is alive and well at Griffins Roost.

I'd bet money that Rhaegar and Lyanna did marry in the books.  There was precedent for the Targs to have polygamous marriages.  I don't think Rhaegar cast Elia aside.  I think, with her blessing, he also married Lyanna.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

You speak as if Rhaegar had two sons named Aegon in the books. 

He may well have had.  It depends if he believed, from prophecy, that the AA was named Aegon.

I personally think Jon's real name won't be Aegon, and Aegon is a nod to the books, but I wouldn't be surprised if his name did turn out to be Aegon.

2 hours ago, NonoNono said:

How could he know one would die? The other Aegon is clearly Strickland, isn't he buddy? :lmao:

2 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

He may well have had.  It depends if he believed, from prophecy, that the AA was named Aegon.

I personally think Jon's real name won't be Aegon, and Aegon is a nod to the books, but I wouldn't be surprised if his name did turn out to be Aegon.

Indeed. But if so,  it’s not something that has been revealed yet, that was my point. 

16 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Christ almighty lol my bad.....I was thinking so hard into the actual progression of the kings that I was just assuming each one becoming a king in turn....lol my bad :bang: :lmao:

8 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

I'd bet money that Rhaegar and Lyanna did marry in the books.  There was precedent for the Targs to have polygamous marriages.  I don't think Rhaegar cast Elia aside.  I think, with her blessing, he also married Lyanna.

Now wouldn't that be a delicious plot twist!! The dragon has 3 heads, and 3 targs to rule them all! Although, I guess Aegon would be the one rightful ruler. Do you think Dany will marry him?

50 minutes ago, Wik said:

Christ almighty lol my bad.....I was thinking so hard into the actual progression of the kings that I was just assuming each one becoming a king in turn....lol my bad :bang: :lmao:

LOL  No problem.  It;s confusing enough to try and figure out reasoning for Rhaegar and The Two Aegons.

It sounds a damn shame to imagine a beautiful little Rhaenys, had they all lived, having to do the Larry part in a Larry, Darryl, and Darryl scenario. 

Gosh.  You all know right, one of the problems working in the documents that help us trace through timelines, etc. in the history of the Middle Ages -- is that everybody has the same names, and all at the same time, even when they are nobles, royalty etc. in different countries with different languages?

Additionally, a custom in Europe and England that continued more or less up through Victorian times, the name of a child that dies very early is often given to the next child born that is same gender. 

That said -- HBO GOT is fiction, and throwing around a name that is shored more than one character makes for a confusion that goes in the fiction writing advice book as "fix this"

On 4/25/2019 at 8:18 AM, Loge said:

Well, we know that in the books, Rhaegar thought that he himself could be the Prince That Was Promised, which is why he thought he needed to become a warrior.  Then, he thought that it was his son and named him Aegon; it's possible that something he read made him think that the PTWP was to be named Aegon.

However, then he meets Lyanna and perhaps realises that it's not just his son that would be the PTWP but a son with a daughter of House Stark, therefore wanted to name any son with Lyanna as Aegon, assuming that would the right name for the PTWP.

It's also possible that Lyanna named Jon as Aegon in honour of his murdered brother, as that had already happened before she gave birth (we're assuming on that timeline).

Archived