SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

8 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Martin created this whole story so that the downtrodden, especially those without dicks (women, cripples, and castrates) finally came into their own after being spat upon and shat upon through all the ages including our own.  Men who disparage those historical unfortunates whom Martin has raised up are the very men that his tale is about breaking the power of.  Worshipping the phallic patrimony is the wheel that he's breaking. Don't be part of that.

Thanks the for the lesson in literary interpretation. What utter horseshit. For one, the Theon/Sansa thing only happens because they decided to destroy Sansa's story and her character, and in the process creating one of the most dreadful seasons in GOT, season 5.

And Missworm wasn't a GRRM creation.

And by the way Robb & Talisa was about as dreadful as any of them.

Just now, briantw said:

I think there's a 100% chance we're getting Clegane-bowl, so I don't think that Sandor will be punching his ticket next week.

Probably true. Although maybe he gets brought back by the fire God. How crazy would that be? And I think Arya kills the mountain. 

1 minute ago, Remember said:

Probably true. Although maybe he gets brought back by the fire God. How crazy would that be? And I think Arya kills the mountain. 

Yeah, that could certainly happen.  Maybe Beric gives his life to bring him back?

Just now, Remember said:

Crap. That makes way more sense lol

Yeah, although it begs the question as to how this will all happen in the books.  If we get Cleganebowl, which I have to assume we will (else why include that conversation between Sandor and his brother last season?), it's almost certainly coming from the books.  The books foreshadow this event heavily from the very first book in one of Bran's dreams.  

1 minute ago, D2procon said:

If Bran made it clear in the first episode that titles dont matter what was the point of him wanting Jon to know about his heritage???

Well, he's either got a secret agenda or he knows something about Dany that we either don't or just suspect, which is that she's got some of that Targ madness in her.

Edit: Or it's just bad writing.

Arya/Gendry scene is all kinds of uncomfortable to me. I watched this girl grow up on the show. I don't want to see skin or sex scenes with her. But D&D can't help themselves even if it doesn't make sense. Just like they waited for Sophie to turn legal, now it's Maisie's turn. Icky to say the least.

And it makes no sense for Arya as a character. 'That's not me.' has been her thing since S1. Arya was never a girl or woman in terms of sexuality. Where the hell is this coming from? A season ago she was chopping up people into bits to feed to someone and threatening to cut her sister's face off. Girl was psycho and suddenly she is not only normal but turned into a 'woman'? What?

3 minutes ago, Mystical said:

And the worship at the altar of Tyrion continues.

That was vomit inducing. I never thought Jorah would ever betray Dany. But after watching him get all misty-eyed over St. Tyrion, I think he might betray her for him. WTF?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!

HA! HA! HA !!!!!! 

That was LITERALLY 55 minutes of filler.  That was the most empty, vacant 55 useless, vapid, soulless minutes of TV I have ever watched and as a kid, I used to watch test patterns.  And even those were better written than this.  

HAHAhAHA!!!!  Oh, My FUCKING GOD WE SUCK!   

We suck HARD!  We suck so hard for watching this shit.  See, if you are on this thread right now its because you still- for reasons I am still uncertain of - watch this show.  The show stopped being good three seasons ago.  Okay?  And I have evidence of this.  Anyway, we still watch it.  Why?  Because for some of us its an investment thing- we invested so much into the show that we have to watch it play out - like when a family member dies.   But some of us are still watching because we hope SOMETHING will be good.  It's not, but we hope it will be. 

If you are still watching this show in the hopes that some of it will be good, DEAR GOD  I feel for you!  And tonight right before all of our very eyes we watched 1 hour of listless, meandering, flacid foreplay.  We were all here to watch a battle; instead, we watched a whole bunch of people WAIT for a battle.  

And it was worse than that sounded.  

This show has FOUR (1-2-3-4) episodes left and they just wasted 2 whole episodes doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! ! ! ! ! 

Oh my God, we are terrible.  

Anyway, let me discuss stuff:

What I Liked: 

A Fire Burns In Winterfell: Watching 2-8 characters I once cared about sitting around the fire and shooting the shit was good.  Okay, it still kinda sucked because nobody but Tyrion was discussing anything worthwhile, but I liked the characters- Brienne, Giantsbane, Davos, Pod, Tyrion and Jaime are pretty much up there in my favorite characters,  They all rock.  And watching them use the fire as a device was worthwhile.  

It should have happened in the first 20 minutes of the show and then the hirn should have blown, but instead, we meandered like stool through a  constipated whale.  Anyway, this was decent, 

I Would Have, In No Particular Order, Still Killed Your Fucking Crazy Father; I Still Would Have Attacked Your Stone-Headed Father in the Streets After Your Idiot Mother Kidnapped My Brother; I Still Would Have Tried To Kill Your Brother At Whispering Wood; I still Would Have Escaped; I still Would Have Done Pretty Much Everything I Did Until Now Because I was Right In Every One Of Those Cases And Your Relatives All Sucked.  Jaime Lannister is the Fucking Boss.  I loved how they were all just laying into him about all that he did and he said- to their smug, faces, "Yeah, ah, I would have done it all over and over again."  A perfect moment; Jaime is the best character left in the show next to maybe Sansa.  I hope he dies soon so I can stop watching him be tortured by this terribly written, glacially paced disaster.  Oh, and I am cool with Brienne's defense, even if she could have mentioned the wildfire... I'm sort of glad she didn't.  Its as if Brienne knows that Jaime told her that in confidence so its not hers to sahre (but if necessary cooberate).  

Oh, Thank God, She's 22!: It was a perfectly acceptable scene watching Arya and Gendry do it.  It was fine; I thought it was passably tender and not horribly uncomfortable when I learned that Williams is 22 so it was not as icky as I first thought. 

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: Look, every now and then, something happens on the show that just feels right.  And this week the CLOSEST the show came was when Jaime knighted Brienne (guaranteeing that AT LEAST one of them dies next week; otherwise you would just knight her AFTER the battle).  Regardless, the two actors were utter nails and you could see the true emotion from both of them.  A terrific scene that should have happened at about the 12-minute mark; instead it happened at like the 40-minute mark and wasted all of our time.  

What I Am On the Fence On

So... She Dies In the First 45 Seconds of the Battle, Right?  I get that, by law, we all have to like Lady Mormont.  If we don't it because of misogyny or something.  I don't know.  I get- to a degree - her desire to fight (maybe, sort of).  I also get that being in the North requires a showing of martial ability (not true for any Manderly).  So some of this is true.  She's what, 12?  Maybe?  And she has no battle experience at all and has been trained in some manner.  Okay.  So if you take a 12-year-old and you put them in the middle of the battle against undead, and she has MINIMAL experience (training in a yard) then that person dies at close to first contact, right?  Add that they are fighting in a mish-mash army without any cohesive experience - disassociated parts fighting under disparate command.  I'm just saying, if the show wants ANY credibility to their battles and villains, she can't live because she made a dangerous decision.  That has to have consequences.  

Epsidoe 1.2: Most of this episode was a continuation of the prior episode, namely REUNITING various players together.  I was OKAY with Sansa and Theon when you think about what they went through together; I was okay with Arya and the Hound and ... I forget which BwoB guy that it because it does not matter at all; I liked that Davis saw a girl with Grayscale and thought of Stannis' daughter; I actually LIKED the scene with Edd, Sam and the-Lifesize-Cardboard-Cut-Out of Kit Harrington (he's not even trying to act at this point); and while I DID NOT like the Messandi Grey Worm scenes (Nobody. Cares), I think they tried to use that time wisely and give it its own voice ("I'm Leaving As Soon as I Can").  Even Sam-Jorah was decent. 

But we Can't Have It.  We do not have time.  You fucked this all up, assholes.  You wasted 1/3 of the season of boring exposition.  You cannot take this long with stuff you should have either a) stuffed into last week or 2) Unsullied (cut out altogether).  Instead, E 2 feels like just spill-over from episode 1.  What a waste.

Limited Engagement- Jon and Dany: No need to have these characters take up any more dead time.  I liked that; I liked that we did not see more of them then we absolutely needed to.  And I liked that the show had Jon tell Dany and let it lie there.  Good move.  Just get it done.  But could iit have been any more lifeless?  Could it have been any more tone deaf and empty?  OKay, I know, Its Emilia Clark and she's ... she; no Meryl Streep; is that too harsh?  Anyway, she reacts ... and we believe for a couple of seconds that she has human emotions.  Okay.  And then the writers did a wise thing- they started the battle!  Why did that take 55 minutes? No clue!  But it did end that awkward scene so... win?  Anyway, I liked that they got it over and I liked that it was done, but it was poorly done.  

What I Did Not Like:

Let's Reminisce About Seasons 1-4: So, here is how you know the show has sucked for a long ... long time.  Most of this episode was spent with characters who have been on the show since AT LEAST the second season.  And they have a host of conversations:

"Hey, remember that time I killed a white walker?" (Season 4)

"Hey, remember that time I lost a hand?" (Season 3)

"Hey, remember that time we were all here with Robert?" (Season 1)

"Hey, remember that time I almost killed the Hound?" (Season 4)

"Hey, remember that time I left you for dead when Brienne almost killed you?" (season 4)

"Hey, remember that time we had a father?" (Season1 for Starks; Season 4 for Lannisters) 

"Hey, remember that time you sold Gendry for gold after you swore all this bullshit but you have never paid the consequences because this show has no continuity? (Season 3) 

"Hey, remember that time a smoking hot red-head bled me with leeches? (Season 3...4... something like that).  

"Hey, remember that time I used to whore all the time and was funny and had great dialog when the writers of this show just copied the dialog from the books, but now that I am no longer taken from the books, the writers have no fucking idea what to do with me because they are terrible at this?" (seasons 1-4) 

"Hey, remember that time you threw me out a window?  I mean, I get it now,m but, come on man? Still shitty." (Season 1) 

All of that.  What did all those discussions have in common?  Well, they involved memories from, you know, a show that wasn't terrible; when the show was- basically - "copy/paste" from George RR Martin.  Good times.  

And you know what they did not talk about?  ANYTHING ELSE!  Why?  Because Seasons 5 onward were virtually meaningless and had nothing worthwhile to remember!  Nobody gives a shit because they were not worthy of our memory.  Sure, Sam mentions, briefly, getting the sword from his family and that Davos was at the Battle of the Bastards.  But otherwise?  Why bother!?  Nothing worth talking about has happened IN YEARS! ! !!  This show JUST PROVED that it's been a waste of our time since AT LEAST season 5.  If not longer.  And the show JUST ADMITTED THAT!  

God this is a waste of time.

Which Bring Me to...

ONE-THIRD PORTION!!!!! It's not like this is a 10-episode season; its a truncated 6 episode season (one where we were promised episodes would go over an hour; neither so far has).   And in these two epsidoes, nothing has actually happened.  And its an insult to us because this show only has 4 more episodes total.  And nothing has happened.  We have wasted one-third of the show on NOTHING!  We had empty dialog; we had DEAD AIR (there were long stretches where there was no dialog); we had time spent on characters that are third-level or worse (ie: Messandri and Grey Worm).

Its an insult to the viewer to take this long to tell us nothing.  I will say that if it turns out the Battle at Winterfell takes 2-or-more episodes, then I can see the investment (if done well).  But this show spent 56 minutes to show us nothing.  The whole time ALL the audience is thinking is "When will they show us the battle?"  And if the show was done well, the writers would have found a way to either increase the tension OR give the audience what they want. They did neither.  So, the whole time we are watching something WE DO NOT WANT TO WATCH!  we want to watch a battle; we want to see the tension resolved.  We don't want to see filler or dead-time.  Especially given we have no time left. 

So, of course, we get nothing.  Because the writers do not have enough to actually say.  

And that's what we are listening to at this point.  

We have nobody to blame but ourselves.  

9 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Arya/Gendry scene is all kinds of uncomfortable to me. I watched this girl grow up on the show. I don't want to see skin or sex scenes with her. But D&D can't help themselves even if it doesn't make sense. Just like they waited for Sophie to turn legal, now it's Maisie's turn. Icky to say the least.

And it makes no sense for Arya as a character. 'That's not me.' has been her thing since S1. Arya was never a girl or woman in terms of sexuality. Where the hell is this coming from? A season ago she was chopping up people into bits to feed to someone and threatening to cut her sister's face off. Girl was psycho and suddenly she is not only normal but turned into a 'woman'? What?

She didn't "just turn legal".  She's 22 years old. 

Oh.my.God. What did I just watch? I feel like this is one of the worst episodes of the series.

I mean...

all I know is that the whole Gendry/Arya stuff made me want to claw my eyes out. Arya sending bedroom eyes to Gendry. Holy crap, is anyone else weirded out by this? We watched her as a little girl and now she's showing her stuff and mounting a guy...

Also, this episode had a whole lot of sexual innuendos that just creeped me out, it gave me the same vibes as that titty milk drinking scene from Star Wars TLJ, when you know it's supposed to be an innuendo but you are not quite certain what they're trying to say with it. Also, a whole lot of nothing with those people sitting in a room for a total of almost 30 minutes talking about nothing and then singing.

I understand they were trying to build an atmosphere for the battle to come, but it's amazing how D&D just can't do it. They can't. It was boring and it felt like a huge ass filler scene.

Another moment we've been waiting for that again falls flat: Jaime seeing and talking to Bran. Totally lacked emotion, depth...everything.

Another thing, anyone else feels like as if the show is trying to normalize incest? what I mean by that is that no one seems to care about Jaime fucking and impregnating Cersei. It's like  everyone accepted. It doesn't seem like a taboo anymore. At least the characters don't act like it.

3 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Okay Arya’s “that’s not me” comment is in response to Ned’s remark of her ruling a castle and having little princes, and it does not have anything to do with her sexuality or desire for men. D&D may have made Arya into a one-note assassin in the past seasons but that’s not how Book-Arya is. Actually, I take that back. Even D&D made the effort to show Arya’s humanity, with her relationship with the actress, her talk with the Lannister soldiers, and her change of heart after hearing Jon’s is alive. Neither the books nor the show, portray Arya as a psycho as you say although the show is sloppy, lazy and hamfisted in its portrayal of Arya, just like it is with every other character. Having said all that, the Arya/ Gendry scene like everything else in the show seems like something the showrunners are ticking off of a to do list.

4 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

She didn't "just turn legal".  She's 22 years old. 

Jesus Christ I know that. But they were never going to have Arya raped. Womanly things, including sex was never part of Arya's story. But there are shippers out there and fanservice must be done even when it makes no sense. And how can you pass up Maisie getting naked with the only guy that the fans deem worthy. D&D were all over that because Maisie is legal, Gendry and her are finally in the same place so lets go from 0 to 100 with them and make Arya a 'woman'.

2 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Jesus Christ I know that.

Apparently, no, you did not know that.  This is what you said - " Just like they waited for Sophie to turn legal, now it's Maisie's turn. Icky to say the least."  You're implying that they specifically waited for Sophie to turn legal so they could show her naked, and "now it's Maisie's turn".  And then you say it's "Icky", as if you feel like you're watching someone underaged - or that they just "turned legal".

4 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Jesus Christ I know that. But they were never going to have Arya raped. Womanly things, including sex was never part of Arya's story. But there are shippers out there and fanservice must be done even when it makes no sense. And how can you pass up Maisie getting naked with the only guy that the fans deem worthy. D&D were all over that because Maisie is legal, Gendry and her are finally in the same place so lets go from 0 to 100 with them and make Arya a 'woman'.

To be fair, he did just make her the 2-bladed staff...that's the equivalent of a candlelight dinner to an assassin. :D

25 minutes ago, Mystical said:

I don't know...I think there is a very good chance she ends up with Gendry in the books as well.  Would be coming full circle for Robert's son to end up with the daughter of a Stark.

8 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Neither the books nor the show, portray Arya as a psycho as you say although the show is sloppy, lazy and hamfisted in its portrayal of Arya, just like it is with every other character.

How is literally chopping people up into tiny bits and baking them into a pie to serve to someone NOT PSYCHO? How is threatening one's own sister with skinning NOT PSYCHO? How is killing a room full of people without establishing their guilt NOT PSYCHO? And she did all of that with a psycho smirk on her face.

Archived