SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

6 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

I believe that contractually, D&D aren't allowed to know who Dunk was. Like with Peter Jackson and wizards not named Gandalf, Saruman nor Radagast.

There were only 2 other wizards, both wearing blue, one went south, the other east, and were never heard of again.  In the books Gandolf mentions not behing able to remeber thier names.   They were only named (a few differnt names) in other works, which Jackson did not have the rights to use. Tolkien initially said they failed but much later in life recanted that and stated he belived they did do thier parts in keeping Sauron from behing able to gather and real large forces from the men in the far east and south.  

Ahhh I went on a tangent.. my bad =0

14 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Ok this obviously had its problems but I thought it was the best one since the spoils of war bit obviously not at the quality the show used to be. A lot of good but plenty of bad sadly...

It's bad enough Jon believed Sam so easily last week but to believing it 100% and actually telling Dany minutes before the battle is unbelievably stupid. Jon has always been too honest but this was way too bad. If Dany had abandoned the North at that moment and just flown back to Essos, Jon would have lost the war and everyone would die because of him.

Everyone loves Tyrion. I felt for Jorah who would be a far better hand and certainly deserves it more. Tyrion ain't season 2 Tyrion any more.

And I guess Ghost had cubs off screen. That blink and you miss it wolf was not Ghost dammit. Ah well at least he was there after way too long.

I guess the traitorous Glovers are all dead then. But what about the other Northern houses like the Karstarks and Cerwyns.

And making Theon defend Bran makes sense if the attack is coming from above as Theon is probably the best archer they have but will there be more people there. Like to use swords? Good on Jaime for using the words If it is true about the death of the Night's King killing his whole army. A bit of scepticism at last. Same for how Not the mad queen reacted to Jon's news. But he is right. The Night's King will not make himself an easy target if his death kills his army.

Alyass Karstark was shown and mentioned very briefly as being in winterfell. Davos i think points out they used to be enemies of the Starks.

A lot has been said here, the good and the bad (sometimes about the same things with different opinions). I think it's funny how different everyone is. Some hate a part, some love it. I'm glad I'm not in charge of the show. People will tear it apart no matter what you do.

Top moment: Sansa and Theon. I'm neither in the " Ihate Sansa" or the "love Sansa" club. But Sophie Turner's acting for this scene was on point, as was Alfie's (Allen's one of the top performing actors in the show, in my opinion). I *felt* something in this scene, and for me, that's enough. I realize Jon's reunion with Bran was awkward, but Jon tried to make it meaningful, but Bran...isn't Bran any more. I get that. Still...wish we could have the Starks get together and share a moment like Sansa and Theon did prior to the battle.

Low moment: Greyworm. I just didn't like the scene. Felt weak, and like it was just there so he could die and we could have some sort of relationship closure. Missandei is beautiful, but her character seemed more interesting when she was Danny's adviser and linguist. Her intelligence made her an asset for Team Danny, and gave her a reason to be a semi-strong secondary character on the show. Her relationship with Greyworm...not so much. Sometimes I don't mind it, but sometimes, mostly, I just roll my eyes and wish the screentime could be used elsewhere. 

29 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Ok this obviously had its problems but I thought it was the best one since the spoils of war bit obviously not at the quality the show used to be. A lot of good but plenty of bad sadly...

It's bad enough Jon believed Sam so easily last week but to believing it 100% and actually telling Dany minutes before the battle is unbelievably stupid. Jon has always been too honest but this was way too bad. If Dany had abandoned the North at that moment and just flown back to Essos, Jon would have lost the war and everyone would die because of him.

Everyone loves Tyrion. I felt for Jorah who would be a far better hand and certainly deserves it more. Tyrion ain't season 2 Tyrion any more.

And I guess Ghost had cubs off screen. That blink and you miss it wolf was not Ghost dammit. Ah well at least he was there after way too long.

I guess the traitorous Glovers are all dead then. But what about the other Northern houses like the Karstarks and Cerwyns.

And making Theon defend Bran makes sense if the attack is coming from above as Theon is probably the best archer they have but will there be more people there. Like to use swords? Good on Jaime for using the words If it is true about the death of the Night's King killing his whole army. A bit of scepticism at last. Same for how Not the mad queen reacted to Jon's news. But he is right. The Night's King will not make himself an easy target if his death kills his army.

Alys Karstark was at Jaime's trial and later at war council so I guess they're loyal.

6 minutes ago, Steve Stark said:

Low moment: Greyworm. I just didn't like the scene. Felt weak, and like it was just there so he could die and we could have some sort of relationship closure. Missandei is beautiful, but her character seemed more interesting when she was Danny's adviser and linguist. Her intelligence made her an asset for Team Danny, and gave her a reason to be a semi-strong secondary character on the show. Her relationship with Greyworm...not so much. Sometimes I don't mind it, but sometimes, mostly, I just roll my eyes and wish the screentime could be used elsewhere. 

Missandei's character used to be interesting. Now she is just Greyworm's girl and it's boring. It's sad to see her character transform this way.

18 minutes ago, divica said:

LOL

I agree with what you are saying. However I doubt grrm could write the story for the show in a timelly manner. If he could do it he probably would just write the book.

However they should have hired someone to help write the show. After season 5 everybody should have realized that D&D don t have the creativity to make a good tv show without the books...

This should have never happened. Look at the Simpsons first 8 years. 4 separate solo or pairs of showrunners. It kept the show strong and gave each era a different feel to what fame before. Just compare season 3 to season 8 for example. HBO should have stepped in. When it was clear DnD wanted it to end sooner than HBO did they should have been asked to stand down. A change in direction would have made the show what it deserves to be.

18 minutes ago, Bradam said:

There were only 2 other wizards, both wearing blue, one went south, the other east, and were never heard of again.  In the books Gandolf mentions not behing able to remeber thier names.   They were only named (a few differnt names) in other works, which Jackson did not have the rights to use.

That's exactly what I meant. Similarly, HBO AFAIK bought only the principal series, not the D&E stories, so about the only thing Dunk-related they have rights to is a throwaway line that once upon a time there's been the KG LC named Ser Duncan the Tall.

2 minutes ago, divica said:

LOL

I agree with what you are saying. However I doubt grrm could write the story for the show in a timelly manner. If he could do it he probably would just write the book.

However they should have hired someone to help write the show. After season 5 everybody should have realized that D&D don t have the creativity to make a good tv show without the books...

GRRM writes the teleplay, someone else completes the script - it'd have worked. It's easier to write up a teleplay, and at that point based on stuff he'd already published. I think Cogman was hired to help them get their handle on the book details but he abandoned those duties as his producer workload increased. D&D do battles very well, their team has also set high standards in cinematography, costumes, set design, etc. But the books restricted them in terms of characterisation and they've sought independence since at least season 2. But with GRRM in charge of the characters and most of the important dialogue, they really would have shined more as producers. 

5 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

This should have never happened. Look at the Simpsons first 8 years. 4 separate solo or pairs of showrunners. It kept the show strong and gave each era a different feel to what fame before. Just compare season 3 to season 8 for example. HBO should have stepped in. When it was clear DnD wanted it to end sooner than HBO did they should have been asked to stand down. A change in direction would have made the show what it deserves to be.

This is also true. D&D were writing, shooting, in post production continuously for years. They wanted it to end sooner rather than later. The only other comparable situation is Stranger Things' Duffer brothers but that show has already taken a year's break between their second and third seasons. D&D should have either stepped down after the fourth season or a new structure should have been created for them (ala MCU's Kevin Feige or Star Wars' Kathleen Kennedy). 

24 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Missandei's character used to be interesting. Now she is just Greyworm's girl and it's boring. It's sad to see her character transform this way.

That's why we just call them Missworm. They are essentially just one character now.

6 minutes ago, tallTale said:

This is rant and rave so..

Gilly got big. I'm going to assume the actress got pregnant and not her eating all the food storage.

Sam told her his secrets to staying large...

But seriously, I wonder if the actress is pregnant, definitely seemed that way.

8 hours ago, McAssey said:

My ongoing disappointments:

1.  Jon's apparent indifference to Ghost (and Ghost's absence from the show from Jon's resurrection until now)

2.  No mention of Howland Reed as the one person who can verify Jon's true parentage

3.  No mention of the slaughter of the Freys either in Winterfell or at KL.  I would especially like to see a big reveal that Arya did it.

4.  Where is Robert/Sweet Robin?  Why didn't he come north with the knights of the Vale?

5.  Where is Edmure and the rest of the Tullys?

At this point, I'm pretty sure that anyone who isn't at either Winterfell or Kings Landing is forgotten and unlikely to be shown/mentioned again.

I’m raving for the fan service and Easter eggs this episode has given us - from the title, to Brienne’s knighting that’s a shout out to Ser Duncan the Tall. Plus Jenny of Oldstones reference that could also be a foreboding.

Although really thought Pod sounded like Pippin’s Edge of Night while singing. Florence’s version I appreciated more.

I’m treating it as a fan service, reunion before dying episode and just that. I’ll save the quality expectations of dialogue and plotline for the written form if/when we ever get it. I will just enjoy the episode (and episodes to come) for their fan service and cinematic value :D 

8 hours ago, McAssey said:

My ongoing disappointments:

1.  Jon's apparent indifference to Ghost (and Ghost's absence from the show from Jon's resurrection until now)

2.  No mention of Howland Reed as the one person who can verify Jon's true parentage

3.  No mention of the slaughter of the Freys either in Winterfell or at KL.  I would especially like to see a big reveal that Arya did it.

4.  Where is Robert/Sweet Robin?  Why didn't he come north with the knights of the Vale?

5.  Where is Edmure and the rest of the Tullys?

I’m hoping for:

- Howland Reed’s appearance much later after the battle with the NK and AotD is done. He will help settle the Jon-Daeny IT rights.

- KoV and Tully gang will join the survivors who march South to KL for the battle with Cersei’s army.

I'm not buying Sansa, Voice and Conscience of The North.

For one thing, she appears to spend most of her skulking with Yohn Royce of the Not-North. Which is a pity, since she'd surely command leather-lined longjohns at minimum for the Unsullied if she took a single pass through their shivering ranks.

Beyond that, what's plainly evident to everyone is that Jon is boning Dany and buzzing the Winterfell tower on a freaking dragon. Setting aside his actual parentage - which Sansa and the rest of the King In The North! contingent don't know about - it sure looks like the new political reality (assuming everyone isn't dead tomorrow) - is The North tied to the Iron Crown (and dragons!) by marriage.

That seems like a strong position to be in.

Sansa, by virtue of not getting herself killed while pursuing her childhood dream of marrying a douchey Southren prince, becomes Lady Paramount of The North. The balance of power in Westeros (again, assuming there's a Westeros tomorrow) shifts dramatically to The North. She's, like, the third most powerful person in Westeros when this all shakes out. Or she's dead like everyone else. Definitely dead if she pisses Dany off to the point where the dragons and assorted foreigners check out and regroup on Dragonstone.

But hey, at least the food stocks won't run out.

2 minutes ago, Gogossos said:

This is also true. D&D were writing, shooting, in post production continuously for years. They wanted it to end sooner rather than later. The only other comparable situation is Stranger Things' Duffer brothers but that show has already taken a year's break between their second and third seasons. D&D should have either stepped down after the fourth season or a new structure should have been created for them (ala MCU's Kevin Feige or Star Wars' Kathleen Kennedy). 

Despite their faults and the proof that they really aren't that good, they have an insane amount of work to do. It can't be easy with how much they do. They should have had others more involved, not written so many episodes, etc. It can't be easy.

But of course that doesn'texcuse things. But look at the Walking Dead. Seasons 7 and 8 were the worst 2 by a long way. Fans erupted especially at a certain death in s8, SG was replaced and TWD is at the best its been for a long time. GoT should have become like this 

Archived