SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

Lyanna Mormont, this year’s Ollie. Part of the problem, something works in one instance, and it becomes a formula for either “gold tv moments” or “OMFG did you see that” comments all over. And noooooooo, I’m absolutely not saying Ollie “worked”. But Lyanna Mormont did. The first time it was actually good, and she’s a good actor, so. But since then the same formula has been used what, three or four times or whatever? So yeah, wightify her ASAP and be done w/ it already. 

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Re-watched some of the scenes: so they built those trenches, not very deep, then put wooden stakes in them, but at the war council they said that Davos will give the signal when to fire up the trenches. :blink:

Hmm. The show Night King has been shown to be able to walk through fire by “moving” it, or sorta pushing it aside. I wonder if this will still be the case in episode 3?

4 hours ago, Simon Tam said:

This bothers me too. Forgetting Reed, Robin, Edmure is one thing. But the mass slaughtering of a great house under very suspicious circumstances will definetely be talked about in Winterfell.

a) Does Bran know?

b) How would the northerners - especially Jon - with their extreme honour code judge this poisoning?

c) Will we get the following lines?  The Hound: I was right when I told you once, that poison is a womans weapon. Arya: I killed with steel too.

I really doubt the show will dwell on this. They clearly want to get all conflicts out of the way to focus on the three major ones: WW, Cersei and throne succession.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I am finding it ironic, after years of near universal critical praise....all of a sudden, the critics and reviewers are taking it for granted that the show  has declined and was better in the 'early' years.  It's true, it was much, much better 1-4, and has never recovered from the body blow of Sansa going to Winterfell and Stannis going crazy in walking distance of same.  It's funny that there is only now a collective recognition of this, after years of fawning praise and glossing over ridiculous plot holes and so forth.

Damn, am I finally figuring it all out?  It almost seems as if Winterfell is cursed!!  Just in time for the battle, too.  :lmao:

49 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hmm. The show Night King has been shown to be able to walk through fire by “moving” it, or sorta pushing it aside. I wonder if this will still be the case in episode 3?

Not just the NK. At Hardhome a random WW did that. And Jon saw that, so... good plan y'all.

Arya sex was just fucking creepy. I get the whole Kegero/Ninja Scroll thing, but it was sold better in the cartoon. No actual emotion here at all. Not to mention that it just felt like a way for the actress to show her tits like damn near everyone else in the series. Meh.

I have to say that I feel like Deadpan's reaction to the news and her fear of losing her claim is right in line with the way her character has been developed in the show. She's been a self-righteous bitch who only cared about her throne for ages now, so I'm not surprised. 

Longclaw should be Jorah's, if not annoying Lyanna's. Who, by the way has overstayed her welcome. It's been mentioned before, but no advisors? ok. I guess I have to be the one to say it though: She is not going anywhere because she is the show equivalent of "inclusion". Certainly her appearance reeks of an underlying physical/mental shortcoming. She'll survive this.

"the things I do for love" actually made me chuckle. FDR Bran is entertaining to me for some reason. 

My wife is a total unsullied. Refuses to read the books and hates watching the show with me because I hate-watch it now and can't just shut up and watch. But I love how when Davos walked into the fire circle jerk and said "this is why I'm here", she said, "really? that is the only fire in the whole castle?" ahhhh she is starting to see the nonsense. 

Jaime/Brienne was cool. The actors definitely played it well. Just wish it wasn't like :hey, look what I can do". Brienne should have been knighted back when she was Renly's personal guard. I guess it's just another feminism trope. 

Sticking sharp rocks onto a battlement looking like they are held there by frosting like a gingerbread house is supposed to be threatening to zombies who can't be hurt by it anyway? ok. Pitch and fire arrows worked on wilding, giants and mammoths but we are going to have vanguards in the field? ok. 

I dunno. I didn't totally hate the episode like I have so many recently, but there were some wasted minutes here. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Lyanna Mormont, this year’s Ollie. Part of the problem, something works in one instance, and it becomes a formula for either “gold tv moments” or “OMFG did you see that” comments all over. And noooooooo, I’m absolutely not saying Ollie “worked”. But Lyanna Mormont did. The first time it was actually good, and she’s a good actor, so. But since then the same formula has been used what, three or four times or whatever? So yeah, wightify her ASAP and be done w/ it already. 

Yeah, since they aren’t very good with ideas and storytelling, they tend to overuse anything/anyone that initially worked. Lyanna Mormont became a hit with the audience so they decided to give her a speech in every Northern gathering. The problem with them is that instead of trying to weave together a good story, they write scenes that they think will get mass appeal or they write scenes and dialogue for the actors and characters they like at the expense of other characters and the overall story. They had no idea as to how to develop Bran’s storyline, so they dropped the character (probably the central character of the entire series) for an entire season. 

5 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

Wouldn't the fire still help with the wights, though? 

yes. but why bother sharpening all those stakes, only to burn them? Dig a ditch, fill it twigs, but oil over it, and sure make a wall of fire. Use the stakes separately.

Just now, Corvinus said:

yes. but why bother sharpening all those stakes, only to burn them? Dig a ditch, fill it twigs, but oil over it, and sure make a wall of fire. Use the stakes separately.

Was Hardhome even an episode? Pointed sticks mean nothing to the wights. 

But perhaps the dead army will be attacking with bananas....

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yeah you’re right. Fire didn’t stop him outside the 3 eyed crow’s cave. That’s probably why they had Arya ask Bran if dragonfire can kill him. It most likely can’t. 

13 hours ago, nara said:

Actually, I think hers was a pretty natural first reaction to some shocking news. She’ll come around, I think.

I have to say, Emilia Clarke’s immediate reaction after Jon said his real name is Aegon Targaryen was some of her best acting to date.  Looked like real emotion.

Sam’s “that’s what death is” line is so bad. After all these years that’s what they came up with? Death is forgetting... wiping out memories.  I hope this is not one of the ideas GRRM gave them.

14 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Sam’s “that’s what death is” line is so bad. After all these years that’s what they came up with? Death is forgetting... wiping out memories.  I hope this is not one of the ideas GRRM gave them.

I thought it was pretty bad too.  I also thought the delivery was bad - spoken a split second after Bran explained why the NK was coming for him.  Not like a natural response that he had actually thought about. 

11 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I thought it was pretty bad too.  I also thought the delivery was bad - spoken a split second after Bran explained why the NK was coming for him.  Not like a natural response that he had actually thought about. 

Sam doesn’t seem to have gleaned any information about the NK or the WWs from all those books he stole from the Citadel.

6 hours ago, One-Eyed Raven said:

Did Jon and Dany walk the whole way together with those same pained expressions, saying nothing?

As dumb as it sounds...probably yes. 

Something like this won't be resolved off-screen, and given that Jon's timing was so bad it was almost immersion-breaking, I assume that they both just walked in sullen silence as they walked to the battlements. It's not really that long of a walk, but still.

Here we go again...

When Dany was bitching to Jaime about her father someone should have screamed "YOUR FATHER WAS A CUNT!" bonus points if the screamer was the Professor 3EC.

The 3EC is the memory of the world, guess 8000 years ago there were no books, beware Oldtown the NK is coming for the maesters.

Who is the fat guy spewing nonsense at the war council and eager to fight WW, not Sam Tarly. On the same note WHY DID YOU GIVE  HEARTSBANE, THE LAST REMAINING HEIRLOOM OF YOUR HOUSE WHICH YOU STOLE TO JORAH MORMONT?? You met him once, you owe him nothing (in fact he owes you for saving his life) It made way more sense for Jaime and Brienne to give their swords back to the Starks and Jon give Longclaw back to the Mormonts

LORD Davos' Winterfell soup kitchen. The showrunners have no clue what to do with Davos and Varys so they just hang around waiting to be killed.

Missandei and Greyworm, who the hell cares. We have no time for fAegon nor Arienne but oh boy did we had time for this weird ass romance.

Jenny song, why? what does a sad love song has to do with whats going on, I guess they had to rip off Pipin song.

You're a wizard Brienne, somehow you had a chance to save both Stark girls, Sansa even twice, managed to fail everytime but I guess they are safe now, so good enough. ( Scene was actually decently acted though)

Arya sex scene, confused how old is Arya anyways if we go by Gilly's baby timeline she is a minor, but I guess some characters age faster. Aside from that, I'd buy a romance between those two but the show has no time to build characters they are rushing to the end and what people care about is seeing the good guys win over the baddies and the shippings they made in their heads become reality.

Characters keep telling me other characters traits though the show shows me none, last time Tyrion was smart in the show was at the Blackwater.

Honestly this episode felt like a bad TWD parody.

Crackpot time: Jon name is Aegon because fAegon will marry Dany in the books.

Tune in next week when everyone will kill skeletons ( not wights cuz they left the show in S3) by stabbing them anywhere, legs, arms, chest anything will do.

Edit: Theon found LF's lost jetpack and managed to get to WF faster than the NK

Archived