SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

10 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

2) Has he appeared yet in the show? I think that he was mentioned, but that’s about it.

The young version of Howland Reed appeared in the show via Bran's vision of the fight at the Tower of Joy.  But the contemporary version of Howland has not appeared in the show.

23 minutes ago, Mystical said:

They feel the need to tweet that Arya is legal (from a US standpoint) for consensual sex but it was fine to rape underage Sansa. Seriously?

Plus the point is not that the character is legal or not, it's just awkward and weird to watch someone who was just a little kid when the series started mount a guy. That character is still a child in our minds, even tho she cut people and put them into pies...we remember Arya, the little girl, sword fighting, running around Winterfell with a helmet on and jumping into Jon's arms to say goodbye to him.

even if they wanted to show a more human side to her or whatever, the scene was tasteless. it could have been done differently. Arya is not some tits quota.

1 hour ago, Mystical said:

They feel the need to tweet that Arya is legal (from a US standpoint) for consensual sex but it was fine to rape underage Sansa. Seriously?

Isn't it a consequence of #metoo as well? Sansa's scene is from before that time (2015 and probably shot in 2014). But I guess those two things combined prompt a response for the explosion of comments.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:28 AM, Rockroi said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!

HA! HA! HA !!!!!! 

That was LITERALLY 55 minutes of filler.  That was the most empty, vacant 55 useless, vapid, soulless minutes of TV I have ever watched and as a kid, I used to watch test patterns.  And even those were better written than this.  

HAHAhAHA!!!!  Oh, My FUCKING GOD WE SUCK!   

We suck HARD!  We suck so hard for watching this shit.  See, if you are on this thread right now its because you still- for reasons I am still uncertain of - watch this show.  The show stopped being good three seasons ago.  Okay?  And I have evidence of this.  Anyway, we still watch it.  Why?  Because for some of us its an investment thing- we invested so much into the show that we have to watch it play out - like when a family member dies.   But some of us are still watching because we hope SOMETHING will be good.  It's not, but we hope it will be. 

If you are still watching this show in the hopes that some of it will be good, DEAR GOD  I feel for you!  And tonight right before all of our very eyes we watched 1 hour of listless, meandering, flacid foreplay.

:lmao:

For the record, I haven't watched since season 4, I get all I need to know here! :D

I don't think I could if I wanted to.  I saw a clip last night and it's so dark I'd have to turn on audio description.  I already have to have subtitles for everything!

Sick of all the crap I'm seeing saying that the dead Starks in the crypts are gonna come back as wights with everyone trapped down there.....like wtf do these people think the point of the iron swords are? I'll give em the few who's swords were taken by Bran and company all those years ago but that was like 2 swords, so maybe 2 Starks get Wighted................I wouldn't put it past Dumb & Dumber though to completely ignore the iron swords and have all the Starks come back but that would just be terrible story telling

If Sansa is the smartest person that Arya has ever met, and Tyrion is the kindest person Sansa has ever met, and Varys is the most cockless person that Tyrion has ever met, and Tyrion is the smartest person Varys has ever met does that make Tyrion the most cockless person Sansa ever met? Is everyone just fucking sooooo happy to be together in Winterfell for the big dance? 

God this shit is awful and im torturing myself with it to get aSoIaF out of my system. 

1 hour ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Sick of all the crap I'm seeing saying that the dead Starks in the crypts are gonna come back as wights with everyone trapped down there.....like wtf do these people think the point of the iron swords are? I'll give em the few who's swords were taken by Bran and company all those years ago but that was like 2 swords, so maybe 2 Starks get Wighted................I wouldn't put it past Dumb & Dumber though to completely ignore the iron swords and have all the Starks come back but that would just be terrible story telling

Also, apart from the “fresher” ones, shouldn’t the bodies have turned to dust by now? :dunno:

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Also, apart from the “fresher” ones, shouldn’t the bodies have turned to dust by now? :dunno:

The bones should remain a long time, like dinosaur bones are relatively intact. But on the show I only see decaying bodies. Does anyone know the "rules" of undead resurrection? Do you have to be freshly dead? At most very decaying? Do they rise from the grave?

I don't know if the iron would work, it's just a belief. I also thought most knights would be buried in their armor.

36 minutes ago, Squall said:

The bones should remain a long time, like dinosaur bones are relatively intact. But on the show I only see decaying bodies. Does anyone know the "rules" of undead resurrection? Do you have to be freshly dead? At most very decaying? Do they rise from the grave?

I don't know if the iron would work, it's just a belief. I also thought most knights would be buried in their armor.

Bones in a tomb should turn to ashes unless the tomb is airtight etc or the body is mummified or goes through some process to preserve them intact. And we’re never told of anything like this. The iron, in fantasy/folklore is supposed to be a type of ward, and we are told that is the case in universe. It could be just a tale, of course, and I don’t think the show ever addressed any of that. And even if it had, it’s not like that would prevent them from going there if they thought it would be so “cool” or whatever. 

Also, there’s not gonna be an awful lot of knights in the crypts at Winterfell, if any. ETA: and even in armour, the bones will eventually turn to ash unless it’s again an airtight armour etc.

33 minutes ago, Squall said:

Where you think the belief about the iron sword comes from? Also, the North has no knights.

The crypts are most likely similar to the cave Bran was in with Bloodraven, and I would assume has protections from the wights like that cave and a "backdoor" like that cave.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

If Sansa is the smartest person that Arya has ever met, and Tyrion is the kindest person Sansa has ever met, and Varys is the most cockless person that Tyrion has ever met, and Tyrion is the smartest person Varys has ever met does that make Tyrion the most cockless person Sansa ever met? Is everyone just fucking sooooo happy to be together in Winterfell for the big dance? 

God this shit is awful and im torturing myself with it to get aSoIaF out of my system. 

Oh, wow. I didn’t even realize that. That’s really bad.

The ww have become a legend for thousand years.

After a while they reappear from nowhere turning everyone into zombies.

Thats the very first scene. They are back! Why? How? 

We have prophecies and stories about how they can be defeated, azor ahai, rhollor, old nan' s Tales, the last hero story, the three heads of the dragon, the song of Ice and fire....

And i think we are not getting any explanation.  They are Just there, they are just death, they want Bran and they will prabably just end with a heroic cutting night's king Head.

Also, why not take bran to essos instead of putting him on a wheelchair as a bait for the zombie army with a dragon that can blow the wall?

We are going tô get nothing except Cersei dying and someone sitting the iron throne

8 hours ago, Oursisthechicken said:

Arya sex scene, confused how old is Arya anyways

Arya is 18 now.

Gendry is five years older than Arya.

Little Sam is around 4. The baby boy was not the best cast choice, but not completely off.

8 hours ago, Oursisthechicken said:

Aside from that, I'd buy a romance between those two but the show has no time to build characters

This is about not missing out on life. Arya wants to experience sex before her last day might come. This is not really about romance or love.

However, Arya and Gendry have a bond, she was flirting with him, she feels attracted to his muscular body. This is believable.

They didn't try to make it sweet romance. They made it about curiosity, last night, affection and desire. That fits.

5 hours ago, Nami said:

weird to watch someone who was just a little kid when the series started mount a guy

Well, 8 years have passed. Teenager grow. It is amazing and wonderful that this series does in-show and real-time parallel, so all the characters age accordingly.

Maisie Williams was a small cute girl in S1, she grew up while the show and will have had sex now, too. Why shouldn't Arya have sex with 18?! It's even late for Westeros terms.

There are a lot of other soap operas in TV where you see actors growing up to sexual activity. It's not so special.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

You know there is this nifty thing called 'Google' or any other search engine where you can find out how realistic that would be. If D&D have all the dead Starks rise, you know they didn't use any of them. In a place like Dorne, bones would be preserved for hundreds of years due to the warm and dry weather. In a place like the crypts however, moist and dank, bones would decay much faster. So at most you could have maybe the last few generations rise but not all the Starks in the crypts.

2 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Im pretty sure that Sansa was an adult when she married Ramsay in the show.

Pretty sure she wasn't. Since we don't get any idea of a timeline in the show, the only reference to passage of time on this show is something like Gilly's child. Little Sam stayed a baby for at least 2-3 Seasons and he doesn't look even remotely like he's 7-8 years old now. So Sansa was not 18 and neither was Arya.

22 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Not necessarily.  I'm not sure how cluttering up the show with a half dozen of the author's dead end plots would have improved things?  How would adding Victarian and the Damphair improve the show?  Or adding a huge detailed political plot with Arianne and Aegon?  

Well, if we had Victarion in the show, there would be no need for Euron to act like Victarion. Euron could be Euron.

Damphair is already in the show but he has such a minor role you wouldn't think he is. But Damphair is basically the Ironborn Melisandre except Damphair:

1. pretty much fails at everything
  2. has no real magical powers
  3. popular with the Ironborn smallfolk

#3 is pretty important seeing as the show has completely forgotten about the smallfolk when their was a heavy focus on the smallfolk in the first four seasons. Damphair also acts as an enemy, a gatekeeper and a boon for the stories of Asha/Yara and Victarion. Like, for example....with all of the time we spent on political plots and showing not telling, Yara is going to take back the Iron Islands offscreen. Keep in mind, that the Iron Islanders actually VOTED for Euron to be their king. There should be some resistance but...nope. D&D are ignoring their own established show-canon. Victarion and Aeron would help with that.

A huge detailed political plot with Arianne and Aegon adds life to the King's Landing set. You notice how quiet it was in the Red Keep in the first episode of the season. If you're having the show revolve around two sets in the final season and one of those two sets is practically empty and devoid of any drama, mystery or action then....your final season is woefully lopsided with half of it being wasted. Tell me: how many characters with lines are present in King's Landing?

A detailed political plot with Arianne and Aegon would also give Cersei something to do. Seeing as Cersei has done nothing of note (smirking maliciously, speaking softly, getting pregnant and sitting around is not anything of note) since the season 6 finale, that would have been welcome. She had no enemies in King's Landing or in the surrounding areas which doesn't make any narrative or thematic sense in the show, much less the books.

The Starks have a reputation for being 3x as noble and just as Cersei Lannister yet they have seemingly endless issues with their bannermen.

And who says that Arianne, Aegon and Euron are not endgame.

• Characters have been talking about Arianne and her father since the first book; matter of fact, if you are speaking strictly in terms of what's on paper, Arianne is more important than Oberyn and the Sand Snakes.
  • Aegon was talked about in the first book (Arya overheard some of Varys' conversations) and got some serious foreshadowing in the House of Undying chapter (a Daenerys chapter mind you) that came to fruition in the fifth book when Tyrion crosses paths with him--and we should all know at this point that if Tyrion knows about a character, place or a situation, then that character/place/situation is important.
  • Euron has been talked about since the second book and, with each passing book, he gets an upgrade that pushes him more and more to the forefront which causes more and more characters to think and talk about him.

Cutting those plots is one of the few things the show did correctly, and they should have cut the whole of the Dorne plot from the show, which would have given more time, if they had the interest or ability, to build better, smarter, more logical plots for the characters who are end game.  

I think that the show has needed more of these types of episodes where people are talking for more than 1 minute, and the characters have a chance to exist, not say badass lines then either exist stage left or close up of a vacant stare into space.  

The showrunners are bad at plotting, this much is obvious, they needed more details from GRRM that he either couldn't or wouldn't give them to make the show coherent once it outpaced Storm of Swords.  

That's the problem. Those smarter, more logical plots for the characters who are endgame came from places, events and other characters that are not endgame. I'm not say adapt everything because everything will be important but the Faceless Men story in Braavos was shortened and simplified so much that Arya's arc suffered and that Arya the character feels a bit hollow. Why would the Faceless Men let her go when they are so protective of their secrets?

You'd think that why they just let her go could've been explained better had they taken their time and threw in a couple of "extraneous" threads to fill out the story. The Faceless Men have strong ties to the Iron Bank (huge considering that the realm is in a bunch of debt) and the Sealord (the ruler of Braavos) and the Sealord himself has strong ties to Daenerys as he had apparently had let the Targaryens stay there. There's a lot of stuff there to work with if they wanted to...especially since Arya overheard conversations in the first season about the Iron Bank and the Targaryens. But they didn't and Arya felt completely bizarre in season 7.

Samwell travelled thousands of miles to get to Oldtown in season 6 only to spend most of his onscreen time at the Citadel being a janitor? And then he inexplicably is able to cure greyscale and then he just magically finds what he needs to prove Jon's identity. Then he leaves? How did he grow from that?

The showrunners are bad at plotting, this much is obvious, they needed more details from GRRM that he either couldn't or wouldn't give them to make the show coherent once it outpaced Storm of Swords.  

Why are they in the business of screenwriting if they CAN NOT PLOT OUT or WRITE THEIR OWN STORIES. GRRM had easily given them not only over half of the story but he had also gave them the answers to secrets and mysteries yet to be revealed and he had given them the (tentative) ending.

Connecting the dots in a sensible way should not have been that hard.

Like I said earlier, this was a lot more than what J.K. Rowling gave the writers/directors/actors/producers when the Harry Potter films were being made. And many scenes and a few of the films were better than the actual books.

4 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Where you think the belief about the iron sword comes from? Also, the North has no knights.

The crypts are most likely similar to the cave Bran was in with Bloodraven, and I would assume has protections from the wights like that cave and a "backdoor" like that cave.

The Others hate iron so there's some speculation about the Starks having some connection to the Others. There must always be a Stark in Winterfell might be part of that. Winter is Coming sounds like a perpetual warning of the Others coming. There's that weird meat locker in the Wall (ADWD Jon II I think) where things last longer than typical freezing, everything is held in place by iron hooks and it has an iron door unlike the other wood doors which seems to imply that Bran the Builder built the Wall with Other magic. 

At this point, I'm thinking that the Long Night ended with a deal rather than defeat. Not sure any of this will matter to the show though.  

Archived