SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

13 hours ago, longest night said:

It's like why would Davos even think to ask Mel if she could resurrect anyone, let alone do it? It was so out of character for Davos. The show has just jumped too many sharks to be considered anything but cheesy fan fiction on a level you find on some random internet website.

Exactly. I mean, they even had Mel see Beric in the show, so why didn't they have MEL COME UP WITH THE IDEA ALL BY HERSELF?! This wouldn't have been all that hard, although there would still be no internal motivation whatsoever to try to bring back Jon Snow of all people. I mean why him and not somebody else, the second wildling on the left, say, or Pyp and Green? But it would have at least have given the character the idea who actually could have come up with it given her knowledge.

12 hours ago, Ser Hedge said:

GRRM likely included the Frey pies in the story (and it's only alluded to really) to show how deeply affected Manderley was by the death of his son. I think he is past caring what happens to himself now (now his other son has been released) and how deep his hatred of the Freys is, a sentiment likely shared by most of the North.

Yeah, Manderly is a new version of the Rat Cook. He knows what he did and he knows that this was nearly as bad what the Freys and Boltons did at the Red Wedding. Keep in mind that the Red Cook's breach of guest right was not to kill the Andal king's son - we don't know whether said son was killed while under guest right protection - but that the cook fed the son to the Andal king while the latter was guest of the Rat Cook (or rather the Night's Watch - the Rat Cook was just the cook at the Nightfort as far as we know).

Manderly reversed the roles. He is Roose's guest and feeds close kin he had murdered to his hosts (Roose and Walda) and to his fellow guests, the other Freys, Northmen, etc. Guest right protects not just the guest(s) but also the host from violence and other transgressions, and Manderly clearly didn't uphold it here. We know and understand why he did it, but it is still a grievous crime and, quite frankly, the deed of a coward.

One hopes the man eventually sums up the courage to tell the Freys and especially Roose and Walda what he has done, triggering his own death, rather than dying without even publicly admitting what he did. But I'm reasonably certain that he will do just that. He did not come to Winterfell to leave the place alive. And he might already be slowly dying if Ser Hosteen acted like a proper Frey and put shit on his sword before he cut through Manderly's chin.

4 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

“We really like the actor Liam Cunningham”.

We didn’t realize this at first: we were overthinking it.

Yeah, that's very likely the sole reason why Davos is still alive in the show - the reason why the Reeds and Selmy are gone is likely because they didn't like those actors so much. I mean, you just have to look at Jorah's ridiculous story to realize that they would do pretty much anything to keep Iain Glenn in the cast.

But then, I'm sure there are morons out there who basically say the show confirmed that Sam is going to heal Connington's greyscale... ;-).

I think Jorah Mormont will make it back to Westeros in the alleged books as well.  As for the show, Ian Glenn and his acting chops will be sorely missed when he kicks the bucket.  Emilia is better with him than anyone except for Jason Momoa.  She and Kit together are several kinds of awful.

But I do agree that the showrunners seem to become enamored with various actors like Lena and Iwan and for unknown reasons Aiden Gillen and they get a lot more screen time than the characters warrant, and other actors get shafted.

33 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Keep in mind that the Red Cook's breach of guest right was not to kill the Andal king's son - we don't know whether said son was killed while under guest right protection - but that the cook fed the son to the Andal king while the latter was guest of the Rat Cook (or rather the Night's Watch - the Rat Cook was just the cook at the Nightfort as far as we know).

I don't have Clash/Storm to hand sorry, but my impression was that it was the killing of the king's son while he was protected by guest rights that was the primary sin, which is not to say that what happened after that was much better obviously :ack:

1 minute ago, Ser Hedge said:

I don't have Clash/Storm to hand sorry, but my impression was that it was the killing of the king's son while he was protected by guest rights that was the primary sin, which is not to say that what happened after that was much better obviously :ack:

The circumstances around the son's death is not discussed. Only the breaching of guest right - which I always interpreted as referring the cook breaking guest right in relation to the Andal king, not the son.

Cogman confirmed today that his prequel pitch has been rejected and he won't work on any of the prequels, as he has signed an exclusive 5 year development contract with Amazon.

We already assumed that after we heard of his Amazon deal, but he confirmed it.

We know of Long Night and...Borenstein's....and from GRRM's comments two others were Targaryen Conquest and Dance of the Dragons, which I think Carly Wray and Brian Helgeland pitched.

I have no idea what Cogman could have pitched.

Not Robert's Rebellion or Tales of Dunk and Egg.  Young Tywin and the Reyne Rebellion maybe? I don't know.

I've been going through Cogman's podcast interview with Vanity Fair on the recent episode....interesting detail on how this nonsense happens:  actually explaining "my first draft had a lot of dialogue in it, but it read like a wikipedia article, so Benioff and Weiss sent it back with red ink notes "correcting" it, taking out the dialogue and we just imply things through the actors' faces".

Ugh.

5 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

so Benioff and Weiss sent it back with red ink notes "correcting" it, taking out the dialogue and we just imply things through the actors' faces".

Utter tosspots

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The circumstances around the son's death is not discussed. Only the breaching of guest right - which I always interpreted as referring the cook breaking guest right in relation to the Andal king, not the son.

Ok, thx.

22 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

It will depend how much support Aegon is going to get and how he is dealing with his enemies. It might turn out that the Westermen end up being Dany's allies simply because Connington and Aegon and the Dornish brutally murdered Tommen and Myrcella, say. After all, if you have issues with Aegon when Dany arrives she will be your natural ally.

Not to mention the effect of the dragons. Dragons are symbols of legitimacy and power and royalty. Aegon doesn't have a dragon, and assuming he never acquires one Dany's arrival itself will cause many lords and knights and commoners to reconsider their allegiances - especially if there are rumors and revelations to be heard about Aegon's actual parentage.

But overall Aegon must have a pretty strong power basis when Dany arrives or else he wouldn't last long. 

I don't think Cersei is dying in The Winds of Winter. So it stands to reason that when Dany comes in A Dream of Spring, Cersei will automatically view her as a threat. Cersei will be even more irrational by then but it's pretty reasonable to assume that she, the daughter of Tywin Lannister and heir of his legacy, is a target. Besides, Cersei still has that thing she has towards beautiful young women. Dany is young and beautiful so...

And that's not even taking into account that Tyrion is going to be with Daenerys. And we all know how Tyrion feels about Cersei. It's not hard to imagine that Cersei will know how Tyrion feels about her too...especially if she still believes that Tyrion killed Joffrey. She may even believe he killed Kevan and Pycelle.

No way Cersei is going to try to align herself with Dany and there's no way Dany will be inclined to trust her as soon as she gets to Westeros.

22 hours ago, Corvinus said:

At the risk of wading into this mess, I'd like to correct you here - Quentyn set off with 5 people, one being a well learned maester. And his friend, Cletus Yronwood sounded like a noble who might have smoother words for Daenerys. But both died when they got attacked by corsairs, because unlike the show, shit still happens to travelers in the books. Outlaws still exist. Compare this to Jaime travelling by himself to Winterfell, and apparently having no issues. Or back in season 5 when Littlefinger took Sansa on the mountain road (they met Brienne at the Inn of the Crossroads) because the mountain clans, that Tyrion promised the Vale to, ceased to exist.

A larger party for Quentyn would have drawn more unwanted attention, and it still would not have guaranteed that the critical people made it to Meereen.

Thank you for saying that.

If anything, travelling is likely to get more dangerous. Not only do travelers have freezing temperatures to worry about but there are also little things called food shortages (a lack of food is going to make bandits and outlaws more desperate/reckless) and sickness. Oh and let's not forget the magical zombies.

It's going to get to a point where you are going to have to travel in force no matter where you go. And that's still not likely to protect you from malnutrition, exposure and wights.

14 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I've been going through Cogman's podcast interview with Vanity Fair on the recent episode....interesting detail on how this nonsense happens:  actually explaining "my first draft had a lot of dialogue in it, but it read like a wikipedia article, so Benioff and Weiss sent it back with red ink notes "correcting" it, taking out the dialogue and we just imply things through the actors' faces".

Ugh.

Imply things through the actors' faces?!  Lol, whut?!!  Something like "the only way to know what we intend the audience to take away is to watch the Outside the Episodes" would be a little more accurate;)

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No way Cersei is going to try to align herself with Dany and there's no way Dany will be inclined to trust her as soon as she gets to Westeros.

Oh, not Cersei, she is going to hook up with Euron and become everybody's worst enemy. I meant the Westermen specifically. I think Cersei will deliver Euron Casterly Rock, Lannisport, and a good chunk of the West, but I don't see all the Lords of the West following a madman and a madwoman. Some of the men not following Cersei might still not like what Aegon's people did to Cersei and the children, meaning they could actually end up in team Dany upon her arrival.

But it is really going to depend on the question how many houses will actually declare for Aegon. I could also see the Tyrells ending up in team Dany considering that Willas Tyrell is unwed at the moment - meaning he could offer himself as a consort - and supposed to be a smart guy who is going to play a significant role later in the story. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he turned out to play a crucial role in ending the Second Dance considering that there are three weirwood trees at Highgarden, not just one...

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

You're incorrect. 

The text says "But he slew a guest beneath his roof, and that the gods cannot forgive".  His crime was that the son of the Andal king was killed whilst a guest under his roof.

29 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, not Cersei, she is going to hook up with Euron and become everybody's worst enemy. I meant the Westermen specifically. I think Cersei will deliver Euron Casterly Rock, Lannisport, and a good chunk of the West, but I don't see all the Lords of the West following a madman and a madwoman. Some of the men not following Cersei might still not like what Aegon's people did to Cersei and the children, meaning they could actually end up in team Dany upon her arrival.

But it is really going to depend on the question how many houses will actually declare for Aegon. I could also see the Tyrells ending up in team Dany considering that Willas Tyrell is unwed at the moment - meaning he could offer himself as a consort - and supposed to be a smart guy who is going to play a significant role later in the story. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he turned out to play a crucial role in ending the Second Dance considering that there are three weirwood trees at Highgarden, not just one...

Even if some of the Lords of the West hate Cersei now, they have never liked Tyrion. From what I have gleaned from the text, Tyrion has either been a joke, an embarrassment or a blight to both the western nobility and their "beloved" overlord Tywin.

The Tyrion that's coming back to Westeros is not going to be the same Tyrion who broke bread with them in Tywin's war councils. Tyrion already ranted in open court that he wished he could kill all of them. For him to publicly wished he had let Stannis take the Iron Throne shortly before killing his own father and liege lord...

Yikes.

I agree with you. They are not likely to be happy with Cersei. But I think life will have beat Cersei up enough for her to be will be smarter by the time we get to that point; she might just try to kill or silence the ones who refuse to fall in line. And yes, I think she's smart enough to remember past errors and choose to do something different but too narcissistic to actually be humble enough to learn from her mistakes and grow as a person.

As far as the Tyrells are concerned? We need only to look at Loras -- who, by the way, is still alive. Where is Loras? Dragonstone. But yes, I'm looking forward to meeting Willas and seeing just how nasty Olenna can get.

While I knew that Highgarden -- at one point -- had a weirwood throne, I didn't know Highgarden had three full-grown weirwoods. Speaking of which, where are all the weirwoods in the south located? Considering that the more interesting half of Bran's powers are linked to weirwood trees, I think that'd be an important thing to know. I know there's a weirwood in the Red Keep and the Gates of the Moon.

In any case, I think that Aegon will have the support of all Dorne, all of the Stormlands, all of the Crownlands, a fraction of the Riverlands (probably the southern half) and the vast majority of the Reach.

The Tyrells will align with Dany. If Stannis and Selyse are still alive, the Florents will still be with him; if Selyse dies and most of the Florent men survive, then they will probably jump ship for either Jon or Aegon...depending on how religious they are. The Hightowers are a toss-up as it's very likely they will either have been destroyed by Euron, dispossessed by Euron or too exhausted by Euron to matter.

I don't think a single house in the West will align with Aegon or Dany. At least not right off the cuff. But should Cersei start bleeding bannermen, I imagine that they'll go to Daenerys simply for the fact that Dany is militarily superior in almost every way.

3 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

You're incorrect. 

The text says "But he slew a guest beneath his roof, and that the gods cannot forgive".  His crime was that the son of the Andal king was killed whilst a guest under his roof.

I'm not sure it really matters that much though.

It is very unlikely that Lord Manderly killed the Freys as a guest of Roose Bolton in Winterfell OR when they were his guests in White Harbor. Too many witnesses in White Harbor. As a matter of fact, Winterfell does not even belong to the Boltons. They are squatters, frauds and thieves. If the old gods are real (they probably are), they would not recognize Bolton ownership of Winterfell. Because House Bolton doesn't truly possess Winterfell, House Bolton cannot be hosts in Winterfell.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Exactly. I mean, they even had Mel see Beric in the show, so why didn't they have MEL COME UP WITH THE IDEA ALL BY HERSELF?! This wouldn't have been all that hard, although there would still be no internal motivation whatsoever to try to bring back Jon Snow of all people. I mean why him and not somebody else, the second wildling on the left, say, or Pyp and Green? But it would have at least have given the character the idea who actually could have come up with it given her knowledge.

Melisandre tried to seduce Jon earlier, going so far as to strip in front of him. It's possible she sensed he has king's blood, even if she didn't know it. 

But mostly Davos and Mel cared because he's a main character. 

2 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I can totally see bookDany almost getting killed by an assassin during the night, and said assassin was sent by bookCersei.

Two things I'm almost 100% sure won't happen in the books: that ridiculous meeting in the Dragon pit and Jon and the gang heading off north of The Wall to fetch a WW. Those two events were just insulting. And served no purpose either because Cersei didn't send her "army" anyway. It was an excuse to give the NK a dragon so they can have a bunch of cool CGI dragons and shit in this last session, completely overwhelming the writing which is super sloppy and full of plot holes.

Just now, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

You're incorrect. 

Oh, okay, then I forgot that part. But he also fed the slain guest to his father, another guest. I'd be surprised if the gods were not considering that breaking of guest right, too.

It is odd, though, how the story never elaborates exactly how the son died. I mean, as you point out, it is implied/claimed he was a guest, too, but it would be great to know how this transpired and also why. It is also odd that in the story the focus is on the unintentional cannibalism and not the murder of the king's son as such.

All that makes me inclined to believe that Manderly is truly walking in the shadow of the Rat Cook here - quite intentionally and willingly, yes, but this is not a role you truly want to play in this world. It cannot end well.

4 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Even if some of the Lords of the West hate Cersei now, they have never liked Tyrion. From what I have gleaned from the text, Tyrion has either been a joke, an embarrassment or a blight to both the western nobility and their "beloved" overlord Tywin.

You are completely right here. Tyrion was never heir to Casterly Rock and would have never succeeded Tywin. He made sure of that. No great lord of the West would have taken up arms against an heir named by Tywin to support Tyrion's claim.

The Tyrion that's coming back to Westeros is not going to be the same Tyrion who broke bread with them in Tywin's war councils. Tyrion already ranted in open court that he wished he could kill all of them. For him to publicly wished he had let Stannis take the Iron Throne shortly before killing his own father and liege lord...

Yikes.

Sure, but I doubt Tyrion will come back as 'Tyrion of House Lannister'. He will come back as 'Tyrion Hill', 'Tyrion Truefyre', or 'Tyrion Targaryen' (if Dany were to legitimize as her half-brother under the condition that he acknowledge her as his rightful queen). In such a position he would likely not really want to claim the Rock. Conquer it, kill people there who laughed at him and serve his sweet sister, etc. but one assumes if he came to embrace his Targaryen legacy and ancestry he would think his place was on a dragon and in the Red Keep of King's Landing (or on Dragonstone), not in the bowels of the Rock.

In fact, the Westerlands situation is a rather interesting topic for the future of the books. Cersei is isolated in KL right now, Kevan is dead, and he was truly the last Lannister of Casterly Rock who had the gravitas to informally lead this house. Daven is Warden of the West (but not in the West right now and possibly about to die), and Casterly Rock's castellan is some cousin named Damion we have yet to see. Cersei's immediate heirs after her own children are Kevan's and Genna's children right now - and the latter is in Riverrun where she might die soon, too.

The West is about to fray, and Cersei is in no position to restore order there while she is in KL. To get back to Casterly Rock by sea is going to take time, even with Euron's help. In that sense, I'd not be surprised if in the wake of Cersei's apparent final downfall - they might pin Kevan's death on her -, Aegon's rise, and the deaths of her own children (and their public condemnation as bastards born of incest) various cousin branches of House Lannister start their own conflict for the control of the West. And from there there is a chance that some such cousins end up siding with Tyrion and Dany against both Aegon and Cersei/Euron later in the story.

While I knew that Highgarden -- at one point -- had a weirwood throne, I didn't know Highgarden had three full-grown weirwoods. Speaking of which, where are all the weirwoods in the south located? Considering that the more interesting half of Bran's powers are linked to weirwood trees, I think that'd be an important thing to know. I know there's a weirwood in the Red Keep and the Gates of the Moon.

The three weirwoods in the godswood of Highgarden are called the Three Singers. They are very large and have grown into one giant structure. This is described in TWoIaF and came as a considerable surprise to me. The living throne of House Gardener wasn't weirwood but oak - it was called the Oakenseat.

The fact that there are three weirwoods in Highgarden makes it actually very likely that this is going to be the place where Bran's influence is going to be strongest in the south once he has finally figured out a way to communicate through the trees. And Willas seems to be both smart and learned enough to actually understand what it means when he starts to have strange dreams, etc.

In any case, I think that Aegon will have the support of all Dorne, all of the Stormlands, all of the Crownlands, a fraction of the Riverlands (probably the southern half) and the vast majority of the Reach.

That sounds about right - the Crownlands are likely to really turn against the Lannisters, and that the Riverlands are full of Targaryen loyalists has been clear for a long time - establishing Queen Rhaella's former sweetheart, Bonifer Hasty with nearly a hundred knights at Harrenhal wasn't exactly a wise decision, either. Also, one can imagine the entire Riverlords to bending the knee to Aegon once he has taken KL in exchange for his help or at least moral support in their campaign against the Freys and Lannisters - which actually might continue after Riverrun is retaken and the Twins destroyed. They might decide to press on into the West itself.

Also, we are likely to see especially the Penroses (Stannis treated Ser Cortray not exactly in a nice manner) to side with Aegon - they are Targaryen descendants, too. And if the theories about Selwyn of Tarth are correct (that he is a descendant of one of Egg's sisters) he might bestir himself, too. His support of Renly was rather lukewarm.

The Tyrells will align with Dany. If Stannis and Selyse are still alive, the Florents will still be with him; if Selyse dies and most of the Florent men survive, then they will probably jump ship for either Jon or Aegon...depending on how religious they are. The Hightowers are a toss-up as it's very likely they will either have been destroyed by Euron, dispossessed by Euron or too exhausted by Euron to matter.

Oh, I expect them to bend the knee to Euron after the Redwyne fleet is destroyed and the Arbor taken by Euron, becoming his royal seat for the time being. From there they can eventually switch to Dany. I very much doubt Euron is going to bother himself with the Hightowers after he has the Arbor. He wants the Iron Throne. He would likely eventually try to take his fleet up the Narrow Sea to take KL from Aegon (which he should have the strength to do). One could see a variation of the Dance here - Euron is Daemon and Aegon Aemond. The trick would be to have Cersei marshal a Western host which Aegon thinks he has to defeat, weakening the defenses of KL in the process.

I don't think a single house in the West will align with Aegon or Dany. At least not right off the cuff. But should Cersei start bleeding bannermen, I imagine that they'll go to Daenerys simply for the fact that Dany is militarily superior in almost every way.

Oh, but without Tywin those lords are now free to think for themselves again. And there is power vacuum right now. Nobody can try to take the Rock from the Lannisters, of course, but they could decide to declare for a king or a queen of their own choosing rather than continue to stick with Cersei's brats.

And there is at least one house in the West with ample and obvious ties to House Targaryen - House Plumm. They could decide to declare for Aegon and likely will. It is no coincidence, in my opinion, that Ser Harwyn Plumm was revealed to be the commander of the garrison of Darry - another notorious Targaryen loyalist house - in AFfC. The Darrys were Targaryen men, and the Plumms are descended from a Targaryen princess (and a Targaryen king, if the stories are true). Both would give Harwyn Plumm the opportunity and motive to raise a considerable force for Aegon.

I've no idea about any other Targaryen loyalists in the West but there might be some.

29 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I'm not sure it really matters that much though.

It is very unlikely that Lord Manderly killed the Freys as a guest of Roose Bolton in Winterfell OR when they were his guests in White Harbor. Too many witnesses in White Harbor. As a matter of fact, Winterfell does not even belong to the Boltons. They are squatters, frauds and thieves. If the old gods are real (they probably are), they would not recognize Bolton ownership of Winterfell. Because House Bolton doesn't truly possess Winterfell, House Bolton cannot be hosts in Winterfell.

That seems to me a problematic legalistic argument. Guest right is archaic, it is not something technical. It is also, most likely, not bound to a hall or castle but to inns and hovels and even camp fires. Wherever there is a place where people are gathering in a peaceful manner - if only for a night - you are a guest when you are treated and addressed as such.

And in that sense Manderly and all his men most definitely are guests of Roose Bolton - and later Ramsay Bolton, who becomes the Lord of Winterfell after the wedding.

It is, of course, even a more grievous crime to murder a formal guest in a castle than to murder and rob a poor traveler at your camp fire, but in principle those crimes are the same.

It is clear that Lord Wyman does his own cruel and heinous things in response to the things the Boltons and the Freys did, but there is really nothing heroic or admirable or right about this. I like that he killed the three Freys, but the pies are really an insidious and, again, a cowardly thing. Not going to Winterfell and sending the heads of the Freys instead would have been both a more honorable and honest way to send a message.

However, I do look forward to the moment when Roose fully grasps what Wyman has done and understands that he has underestimated the man. I really hope George finds a way to allow us to share that moment. With no POV in Winterfell right now this could get tricky.

One really wonders whether we are going to meet Mance as a new POV in TWoW...

49 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

You're incorrect. 

Thank you.  They even have Bran explain it in exactly the same way in the show, for once the show actually told the story appropriately.  I'm still pissed that Arya has been saddled with having to jump up and down basically yelling;  FREY PIES!!  GET YOUR FREY PIES HERE!! 

Bran's Rat Cook story starts at about the 50 second mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWFeamtjHJE

On 4/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, Gogossos said:

GRRM writes the teleplay, someone else completes the script - it'd have worked. It's easier to write up a teleplay, and at that point based on stuff he'd already published. I think Cogman was hired to help them get their handle on the book details but he abandoned those duties as his producer workload increased. D&D do battles very well, their team has also set high standards in cinematography, costumes, set design, etc. But the books restricted them in terms of characterisation and they've sought independence since at least season 2. But with GRRM in charge of the characters and most of the important dialogue, they really would have shined more as producers. 

Let's say they do action well. Their battles don't tend to make much sense. Not counting ones worked out in the book. Or Hardhome, which was just a big melee. 

On 4/22/2019 at 6:59 AM, RhaenysBee said:

then there was Greyworm and Missandei. Like within the narrative or in any other real life situation how likely is it for two possibly half starving and orphaned  children in a war zone before a battle to turn away from kind words because they are spoken by a foreigner woman? What a pointless wannabe sociopolitical scene. 

I dunno if that was in there to make a political point, or if it was just to give an excuse to start a scene between Miss Sandy and the Worm. I didn't mind, because I don't care for either character (except when she's nude), and it pleases me to see people frightened of Danny's handwoman. 

Archived