SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

7 minutes ago, One-Eyed Raven said:

I'm not buying Sansa, Voice and Conscience of The North.

For one thing, she appears to spend most of her skulking with Yohn Royce of the Not-North. Which is a pity, since she'd surely command leather-lined longjohns at minimum for the Unsullied if she took a single pass through their shivering ranks.

Beyond that, what's plainly evident to everyone is that Jon is boning Dany and buzzing the Winterfell tower on a freaking dragon. Setting aside his actual parentage - which Sansa and the rest of the King In The North! contingent don't know about - it sure looks like the new political reality (assuming everyone isn't dead tomorrow) - is The North tied to the Iron Crown (and dragons!) by marriage.

That seems like a strong position to be in.

Sansa, by virtue of not getting herself killed while pursuing her childhood dream of marrying a douchey Southren prince, becomes Lady Paramount of The North. The balance of power in Westeros (again, assuming there's a Westeros tomorrow) shifts dramatically to The North. She's, like, the third most powerful person in Westeros when this all shakes out. Or she's dead like everyone else. Definitely dead if she pisses Dany off to the point where the dragons and assorted foreigners check out and regroup on Dragonstone.

But hey, at least the food stocks won't run out.

Well they refused to give give her the proper character development needed for the whole thing by axing her Vale storyline where she (presumably) would have learned those skills and taken a conscious choice to reconnect with the North.
So we are now stuck with her pulling knowledge she had opportunity of learning pulling out of her behind.

I think it shows in a few story lines and scenarios this season that a lot of necessary development was skipped, in order to fit it into a 8 season long TV show and to make up for some dubious creative choices earlier on.

9 hours ago, McAssey said:

My ongoing disappointments:

1.  Jon's apparent indifference to Ghost (and Ghost's absence from the show from Jon's resurrection until now)

2.  No mention of Howland Reed as the one person who can verify Jon's true parentage

3.  No mention of the slaughter of the Freys either in Winterfell or at KL.  I would especially like to see a big reveal that Arya did it.

4.  Where is Robert/Sweet Robin?  Why didn't he come north with the knights of the Vale?

5.  Where is Edmure and the rest of the Tullys?

This bothers me too. Forgetting Reed, Robin, Edmure is one thing. But the mass slaughtering of a great house under very suspicious circumstances will definetely be talked about in Winterfell.

a) Does Bran know?

b) How would the northerners - especially Jon - with their extreme honour code judge this poisoning?

c) Will we get the following lines?  The Hound: I was right when I told you once, that poison is a womans weapon. Arya: I killed with steel too.

2 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I, too, have all kinds of issues with how they do or don't use Bran and his Three Eyed Raven babblings.  I've decided I'm just going to LMAO when he does creepy things like say;  The things we do for love, and you think there will be an after?

Me too. Bran is just creepy but the way they decided to handle it is just funny. My favorite creepy-Bran dialogue was the one with Jaime:

Bran: "If you hadn't pushed me out of that window, I would have still been Brandon Stark."

Jaime: "Wut? You ain't Bran?"

Bran: "No. I'm something else."

This is truly something else. It literally made me burst in laughter. And the way Bran keeps on repeating signature lines of characters is funny too. First "chaos is a ladder", now "the things we do for love". What's up next? "Where do whores go"? "You know nothing, Jon Show"? "I'll eat every f**king chicken in this room"?

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

This is truly something else. It literally made me burst in laughter. And the way Bran keeps on repeating signature lines of characters is funny too. First "chaos is a ladder", now "the things we do for love". What's up next? "Where do whores go"? "You know nothing, Jon Show"? "I'll eat every f**king chicken in this room"?

Hah! He'll quote Robert B the next time Daenerys enters a room he's currently residing in.

9 hours ago, McAssey said:

My ongoing disappointments:

1.  Jon's apparent indifference to Ghost (and Ghost's absence from the show from Jon's resurrection until now)

2.  No mention of Howland Reed as the one person who can verify Jon's true parentage

3.  No mention of the slaughter of the Freys either in Winterfell or at KL.  I would especially like to see a big reveal that Arya did it.

4.  Where is Robert/Sweet Robin?  Why didn't he come north with the knights of the Vale?

5.  Where is Edmure and the rest of the Tullys?

1) I can’t even remember what happened to Ghost.

2) Has he appeared yet in the show? I think that he was mentioned, but that’s about it.

3) I doubt that they’re going to mention the Freys again and the Northerners would celebrate it. They’re understandably still going to remember the RW.

4) He probably wouldn’t be useful, but it is jarring. Sansa said that the North was stolen from them and that they won it back, but they didn’t. The North lost the battle of the bastards. The Vale won the war for the North and then they were folded into the Starks kingdom for some reason.

5) I wouldn’t be surprised if we never ever see him again, honestly.

I really hate the way that Theons being used here, but the moment with Sansa was nice during Pods song. Also, I hate Jon embracing his Targaryen name. He’s a Stark.

3 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Hah! He'll quote Robert B the next time Daenerys enters a room he's currently residing in.

Haha, that would be priceless, especially if he says it in this tone! Imagine the confused and horrified look at everyone's face and Varys (the only one present there iirc) starts to laugh. :lol:  I want Bran to use the chicken line too though:

Sansa: "We're short of supplies. What are we going to do?"

Bran: "I'll eat every f**king chicken in this room."

1 minute ago, Lee-Sensei said:

1) I can’t even remember what happened to Ghost.

2) Has he appeared yet in the show? I think that he was mentioned, but that’s about it.

3) I doubt that they’re going to mention the Freys again and the Northerners would celebrate it. They’re understandably still going to remember the RW.

4) He probably wouldn’t be us cup, but it is jarring. Sansa said that the North was stolen from them and that they won it back, but they didn’t. The Northnlost the battle of the bastards. The Vale won the war for the North and then they were folded into the Starks kingdom for some reason.

5) I wouldn’t be surprised if we never ever see him again, honestly.

And they have never truly won the North. Ever since the end of season 1 they have been at war with the iron throne with the exception of when the Boltons were in charge. It really bugs me how the Northerners act like they've been independent for years when they never truly have been. 

A lot of reading to catch up on...

I really liked this Ep, so these are pretty small and mostly the downstream effects of previous bad writing.

Can we now bury the Tyrion believed Cersei story?  It was idiotic then and we are still taking whacks to the groin for it.

In the fireplace scene, who had actually fought the Starks?  Jaime and likely Tormund (assuming his band crossed swords with Benjen's at some point) only.  Tyrion's two battles (in Westeros) were against Stannis and Roose Bolton.  Brienne has never been in a battle, has she?  Her fights have never been Stark people.  Pod squired for Tyrion and Brienne.  Davos fought against Tyrion, Mance and Ramsey.

There have been women knights.  Weren't Aegon's sisters referred to as knights to name two.  Wasn't Nymeria a knight?  I'm not great on names, were none of these knights?  Still really liked that moment.

Mini Ghost is soooooooo cute!  I wuv him!!! *insert Jud Nelson punching image*

So much fan service overriding the rules of the world.  Yes Arya smushing got lots of Facebook chatter.. grats... 

38 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Me too. Bran is just creepy but the way they decided to handle it is just funny. My favorite creepy-Bran dialogue was the one with Jaime:

Bran: "If you hadn't pushed me out of that window, I would have still been Brandon Stark."

Because I watch Arrow on CW, in my mind I continued that line when he said it: I am someone else. I am... the Green Arrow.

And on another bad dialogue example. Last week we got testicle jokes, this week it was height jokes. Oh, poor Kit Harrington, he's so short. I was finding the Dany/Sansa dialogue fairly meaningful until that moment, and that just ruined it. Next week I expect a joke about tits and/or ass.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

The crypts of Winterfell are on the verge of becoming the new 'gardens of intrigue' that the Red Keep's godswood was in seasons 3-4.

Question: Can the dead in the crypts rise to attack the people sheltering there?  If not, why not?

48 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

:lmao:*spit take*  I would pay good money to see that!!!:lmao:

It´s amazing how this show now uses every soap writing cliché available. We have the classic "I don´t want to die a virgin" moment, we have filler scenes with people mostly recapping the plot, and we have fake misunderstandings and forced tension between main couple. Ever since they started to cut back to that fireplace meeting again and again, I knew they will have Dany/Jon as the last scene of the episode. And of course, even that moment is mostly just a condensed version of the story so far, but is interupted just before the meaty part, because it´s really the only conflict left and D&D knows both Dany/Jon haters AND lovers are waiting to see what way it resolves. And that´s why we most likely will not know until atleast episode 4, or more likely 5, when they will finally have the talk they should have now. 

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks Dany is already pregnant? Not only she seemed to have something like a small bump in the crypt scene, but the way they showed her mysteriously teary-eyed before Jorah entered her room earlier had to have a purpose. Of course, with the soapy writing and Jon fully ignoring her the whole episode I half expected she will ask Jorah to "warm" her before the night is over.

I also wonder why they had to make Aria so smug all the time. I know it´s supposed to be part of their flirting banter, but if it was young lord acting this way and basically ordering his servant girl to "serve" him, everybody would cringe. 

1 minute ago, tws1978 said:

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks Dany is already pregnant?

No you most certainly isn't. 
The show is probably saving that "card" for when there's even more tension between Jon and Daenerys, so she can throw it in his face which will cause him to come right back to her and after that everything will be (mostly) fine between them.

Cliche? Absolutely.  

12 minutes ago, tws1978 said:

It´s amazing how this show now uses every soap writing cliché available. We have the classic "I don´t want to die a virgin" moment, we have filler scenes with people mostly recapping the plot, and we have fake misunderstandings and forced tension between main couple. Ever since they started to cut back to that fireplace meeting again and again, I knew they will have Dany/Jon as the last scene of the episode. And of course, even that moment is mostly just a condensed version of the story so far, but is interupted just before the meaty part, because it´s really the only conflict left and D&D knows both Dany/Jon haters AND lovers are waiting to see what way it resolves. And that´s why we most likely will not know until atleast episode 4, or more likely 5, when they will finally have the talk they should have now. 

Anyway, am I the only one who thinks Dany is already pregnant? Not only she seemed to have something like a small bump in the crypt scene, but the way they showed her mysteriously teary-eyed before Jorah entered her room earlier had to have a purpose. Of course, with the soapy writing and Jon fully ignoring her the whole episode I half expected she will ask Jorah to "warm" her before the night is over.

I also wonder why they had to make Aria so smug all the time. I know it´s supposed to be part of their flirting banter, but if it was young lord acting this way and basically ordering his servant girl to "serve" him, everybody would cringe. 

True, I don't have a problem with Arya and Gendry hooking up, but none of their scenes were very well done, and so it felt unrealistic.

I agree, Dany is already pregnant.

I also agree that the show which was once known for subverting expectations and cliches, has ultimately, without GRRM guidance, devolved into the same old tired cliches and stereotypes.

14 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

No you most certainly isn't. 
The show is probably saving that "card" for when there's even more tension between Jon and Daenerys, so she can throw it in his face which will cause him to come right back to her and after that everything will be (mostly) fine between them.

Cliche? Absolutely.  

Maybe they discussed all that on the long walk from the crypt to the battlement.

That did seem a little off, right? The horn sounds (and now I'm skeptical whether the acoustics make any sense here, come to think of it), cutting off THE TALK between Jon and Dany, and then we're looking out at the approaching bad guys with Tyrion.

Did Jon and Dany walk the whole way together with those same pained expressions, saying nothing?

22 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Question: Can the dead in the crypts rise to attack the people sheltering there?  If not, why not?

I think this was being discussed in another thread. Personally, no idea. We see wights which are just skeletons, but if the dead inside are just piles of bones, can the WW magic put them together, too? I'm afraid if that happens it's going to be Army of Darkness comical. Also, the show hasn't really touched on the idea of ghosts, so an alternate means of the vengeful dead taking out the living may not be available. Though in the end, it could simply turn out that the crypts are a death trap, one way in & out, and a couple of WW get in there, and start slaughtering people.

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

It's no fair.  I'm gonna need some of this to happen now!!  :tantrum::lmao:

55 minutes ago, legba11 said:

A lot of reading to catch up on...

I really liked this Ep, so these are pretty small and mostly the downstream effects of previous bad writing.

Can we now bury the Tyrion believed Cersei story?  It was idiotic then and we are still taking whacks to the groin for it.

In the fireplace scene, who had actually fought the Starks?  Jaime and likely Tormund (assuming his band crossed swords with Benjen's at some point) only.  Tyrion's two battles (in Westeros) were against Stannis and Roose Bolton.  Brienne has never been in a battle, has she?  Her fights have never been Stark people.  Pod squired for Tyrion and Brienne.  Davos fought against Tyrion, Mance and Ramsey.

There have been women knights.  Weren't Aegon's sisters referred to as knights to name two.  Wasn't Nymeria a knight?  I'm not great on names, were none of these knights?  Still really liked that moment.

Mini Ghost is soooooooo cute!  I wuv him!!! *insert Jud Nelson punching image*

So much fan service overriding the rules of the world.  Yes Arya smushing got lots of Facebook chatter.. grats... 

Fyi, Brienne fought Stark soldiers, eg killed 3 one was slow.  Tyrion in a sense fought Starks at his trial in the Vale, or at least taken prisoner by Cat.  

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I think this was being discussed in another thread. Personally, no idea. We see wights which are just skeletons, but if the dead inside are just piles of bones, can the WW magic put them together, too? I'm afraid if that happens it's going to be Army of Darkness comical. Also, the show hasn't really touched on the idea of ghosts, so an alternate means of the vengeful dead taking out the living may not be available. Though in the end, it could simply turn out that the crypts are a death trap, one way in & out, and a couple of WW get in there, and start slaughtering people.

Yeah, I brought it up there, too.  I don't know...just a thought I had.  But...maybe something interesting could be done with it or, at least, it really should be addressed (who am I kidding?:rolleyes:)

2 minutes ago, One-Eyed Raven said:

Did Jon and Dany walk the whole way together with those same pained expressions, saying nothing?

Winter is here! They have little in the way of food, and especially roughage. No leafy greens or anything, that’s why everyone looks so constipated all the time! :lol:

Archived