SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

10 hours ago, RetconKillah said:

I had to reboot my rant account after tonight (last week meh, this week just cringe).

The Dany/Sansa bonding scene - Dany makes it seem like the Lannisters were the cause of the Targs losing the throne and not Robert and... Sansa father.

How can her a Viserys talk about everything they will do to Jamie and never about what they would do to Robert or his most loyal friend Eddard Stark? 

I think her beef with the Starks was settled last season when Jon "bent the knee." Aside from Tyrion, who took no active part in the rebellion, she's never met a Lannister. 

Besides, she acknowledges her father was wrong to kill Ned's father and brother. At that point, she still thought Rhaegar abducted Lyanna and she apologizes for it later. The Lannisters, on the other hand, were supposed to be her father's friends. Jaime was his bodyguard, Tywin his longtime adviser. The Mad King hadn't ever wronged them as he had wronged Ned and Robert. 

It's apples and oranges, on a certain level. And though this isn't mentioned, Danny's sister-in-law and niece and nephew were murdered by Lannister forces, and she knows she would have been had she been there. We don't know that would be the case had Ned sacked King's Landing.

Robert did try to kill her later, and she doesn't know that Ned stood in his way. But that's not really as bad as what Tywin did to the family after Jaime killed the king.

14 hours ago, Deminelle said:

Ayway, this must be the only show on tv where there are no gay relationships introduced.

Renly/Loras

Loras/Olyvar

These aren't really gay relationships, but Yara is gay and Ellaria and the Viper were bisexual. 

1 hour ago, legba11 said:

the fireplace scene, who had actually fought the Starks?  Jaime and likely Tormund (assuming his band crossed swords with Benjen's at some point) only.  Tyrion's two battles (in Westeros) were against Stannis and Roose Bolton.  Brienne has never been in a battle, has she?  Her fights have never been Stark people.  Pod squired for Tyrion and Brienne.  Davos fought against Tyrion, Mance and Ramsey.

Tormund was at the Battle of the Wall, and we're counting Jon as a Stark now for whatever reason. 

Tyrion was fighting Robb's army, just not the main body of it. 

Brienne has been in combat, if not full battle. She killed Stark men on the road with Jaime. Remember when they had to say his name simultaneously?I

Pod was on the Lannister side in the War of Five Kings. I guess that's supposed to be enough. He fought Ramsay's men near Winterfell, but I'm not going to count that. 

Davos was on Stannis' side during the War of Five Kings. Technically House Baratheon and House Stark were at war with eachother, I think. 

2 hours ago, One-Eyed Raven said:

I'm not buying Sansa, Voice and Conscience of The North.

For one thing, she appears to spend most of her skulking with Yohn Royce of the Not-North. Which is a pity, since she'd surely command leather-lined longjohns at minimum for the Unsullied if she took a single pass through their shivering ranks.

Beyond that, what's plainly evident to everyone is that Jon is boning Dany and buzzing the Winterfell tower on a freaking dragon. Setting aside his actual parentage - which Sansa and the rest of the King In The North! contingent don't know about - it sure looks like the new political reality (assuming everyone isn't dead tomorrow) - is The North tied to the Iron Crown (and dragons!) by marriage.

That seems like a strong position to be in.

Sansa, by virtue of not getting herself killed while pursuing her childhood dream of marrying a douchey Southren prince, becomes Lady Paramount of The North. The balance of power in Westeros (again, assuming there's a Westeros tomorrow) shifts dramatically to The North. She's, like, the third most powerful person in Westeros when this all shakes out. Or she's dead like everyone else. Definitely dead if she pisses Dany off to the point where the dragons and assorted foreigners check out and regroup on Dragonstone.

But hey, at least the food stocks won't run out.

This post is perfection!!  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

Haha, that would be priceless, especially if he says it in this tone! Imagine the confused and horrified look at everyone's face and Varys (the only one present there iirc) starts to laugh. :lol:  I want Bran to use the chicken line too though:

Sansa: "We're short of supplies. What are we going to do?"

Bran: "I'll eat every f**king chicken in this room."

Hahahahahaha, all around.  OMG!!  We need this!!  :lmao:

1 hour ago, legba11 said:

A lot of reading to catch up on...

I really liked this Ep, so these are pretty small and mostly the downstream effects of previous bad writing.

Can we now bury the Tyrion believed Cersei story?  It was idiotic then and we are still taking whacks to the groin for it.

In the fireplace scene, who had actually fought the Starks?  Jaime and likely Tormund (assuming his band crossed swords with Benjen's at some point) only.  Tyrion's two battles (in Westeros) were against Stannis and Roose Bolton.  Brienne has never been in a battle, has she?  Her fights have never been Stark people.  Pod squired for Tyrion and Brienne.  Davos fought against Tyrion, Mance and Ramsey.

There have been women knights.  Weren't Aegon's sisters referred to as knights to name two.  Wasn't Nymeria a knight?  I'm not great on names, were none of these knights?  Still really liked that moment.

Mini Ghost is soooooooo cute!  I wuv him!!! *insert Jud Nelson punching image*

So much fan service overriding the rules of the world.  Yes Arya smushing got lots of Facebook chatter.. grats... 

Tyrion 'fought' Robb's army in the first season, Tywin was sending him with The Mountain in command.  Granted, the show didin't have the budget in season one, and Tyrion was knocked out on his way to the battle.  He did fight the Starks and the Northman in the books.  The Bolton contingent, as I recall.  This was the trick of the Whispering Wood, Robb and a cavalry contingent trapped Jaime while the bulk of the Northern army went after Tywin, with Tyrion there.  I think it's called Battle of The Green Fork in the books. 

(It's been so long, I'm surprised I remember all that)

I am finding it ironic, after years of near universal critical praise....all of a sudden, the critics and reviewers are taking it for granted that the show  has declined and was better in the 'early' years.  It's true, it was much, much better 1-4, and has never recovered from the body blow of Sansa going to Winterfell and Stannis going crazy in walking distance of same.  It's funny that there is only now a collective recognition of this, after years of fawning praise and glossing over ridiculous plot holes and so forth.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

I am finding it ironic, after years of near universal critical praise....all of a sudden, the critics and reviewers are taking it for granted that the show  has declined and was better in the 'early' years.  It's true, it was much, much better 1-4, and has never recovered from the body blow of Sansa going to Winterfell and Stannis going crazy in walking distance of same.  It's funny that there is only now a collective recognition of this, after years of fawning praise and glossing over ridiculous plot holes and so forth.

It is recognized?

I mean, in reddit there were tons of posts about the last ep was one of the best eps of the entire series...

Just now, divica said:

It is recognized?

I mean, in reddit there were tons of posts about the last ep was one of the best eps of the entire series...

Yes, I really think so, even in praising this episode reviewers have said it harkens back to the good old days of better dialogue and more focus on the characters.  I'm actually surprised this episode has gotten so much grief on this board, I thought it was better than ep. 1, and it didn't have anything that was brutally, obviously stupid or totally out of character for anyone.  That alone, would stand as a triumph in these late days of GOT. 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, I really think so, even in praising this episode reviewers have said it harkens back to the good old days of better dialogue and more focus on the characters.  I'm actually surprised this episode has gotten so much grief on this board, I thought it was better than ep. 1, and it didn't have anything that was brutally, obviously stupid or totally out of character for anyone.  That alone, would stand as a triumph in these late days of GOT. 

I think the problem is more what doesn t happen in episode than what actually happened.

Because besides the gendrya scenes that were even weirder than dragondate and jon and danny's final conversation there were few bad scenes filmed.

Sadly, to me the episode was a real snoozefest. It wasn't obnoxiously stupid and they didn't show Cersei and Euron which is nice, but... the ep was character driven and in my eyes they just can't write dialogues anymore. Hearing Tyrion's speaking is painful and there's not an ounce of wit elsewhere as well. I'm looking forward to CGI dragons again.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm actually surprised this episode has gotten so much grief on this board, I thought it was better than ep. 1, and it didn't have anything that was brutally, obviously stupid or totally out of character for anyone.  That alone, would stand as a triumph in these late days of GOT. 

While I generally agree - particularly with it being a better set up/reunion show than the first episode (and why exactly did they need two of those?  That's another discussion.) - I'd say it was a combo of a Late Day GOT show replete with fan service bananas that resembled an Early Day GOT show.  As many have mentioned, that's not hard to write when you have 7 seasons of context to draw off of, and honestly while none of the dialogue/scenes were too objectionable, almost all of it could have been much better done with more subtle writing/acting and less telling not showing.

Just now, Tianzi said:

Sadly, to me the episode was a real snoozefest. It wasn't obnoxiously stupid and they didn't show Cersei and Euron which is nice, but... the ep was character driven and in my eyes they just can't write dialogues anymore. Hearing Tyrion's speaking is painful and there's not an ounce of wit elsewhere as well. I'm looking forward to CGI dragons again.

I have no idea why after spending 2 or 3 seasons with tyrion haing stupid decisions they decide to redeem him now… And he still hasn t had a good idea!

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

While I generally agree - particularly with it being a better set up/reunion show than the first episode (and why exactly did they need two of those?  That's another discussion.) - I'd say it was a combo of a Late Day GOT show replete with fan service bananas that resembled an Early Day GOT show.  As many have mentioned, that's not hard to write when you have 7 seasons of context to draw off of, and honestly while none of the dialogue/scenes were too objectionable, almost all of it could have been much better done with more subtle writing/acting and less telling not showing.

Well,  yeah, it goes without saying that even a good season 8 episode will not be as good as the earlier years.  It's too bad that GRRM didn't get involved for this last season, so the show could go out on a high note and maybe some of the witty characters would say witty things again for a change, we'd get some good one liners again and whatever plot development occurs would make sense.

I thought this was the best episode in ages. But the whole "everyone can't shut up about how super smart Tyrion is" was annoying. If you want the viewers not to laugh at it you shouldn't have written him like an idiot in the last several seasons. 

Also Lyanna Mormont is an insufferable brat,hopefully she will be one of tje first killed by the White Walkers in the next episode. 

42 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, I completely agree. Season 5 and to a certain extent Season 6 was absolute bollocks and still critics tossed their brains out on the tables talking about how good it was. - Completely ridiculous...

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Tyrion 'fought' Robb's army in the first season, Tywin was sending him with The Mountain in command.  Granted, the show didin't have the budget in season one, and Tyrion was knocked out on his way to the battle.  He did fight the Starks and the Northman in the books.  The Bolton contingent, as I recall.  This was the trick of the Whispering Wood, Robb and a cavalry contingent trapped Jaime while the bulk of the Northern army went after Tywin, with Tyrion there.  I think it's called Battle of The Green Fork in the books. 

(It's been so long, I'm surprised I remember all that)

On the show, I believe Tyrion faced a smaller Stark force which was "pawn sacrificed" so the majority of Robb's Army could obliterate Jaime's division. 

Archived