SPOILERS: Rant and Rave

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

He also deserted during that battle.  :lol:

Because he has a specific fear of fire (I wonder why?). And he lead several sorties before breaking. Please, let's not be a chicken hawk here, mmkay?

The Gendrya sex scene felt really gratuitous to me, to be honest. I realize that it's the actress' decision whether or not something like that is okay, but it felt really random, and almost like some sort of GOT rite of passage. GOT never explored Arya's sexuality or even tried to humanize her in that sense, but it's the last season, and we have to get her nude at least once, even if she was a kid for the majority of the show. . . 

And friendly reminder that Sansa is essentially the only woman on this show (with the exception of Brienne) who has never had consensual sex. We spent years watching her be groomed and assaulted, and never got anything healthy out of it. That's not to say I want to see Arya suffer--I sure as hell am glad that we haven't seen anyone abuse her too. It just really goes to show how much Sansa's whole story line was turned into a dumpster fire.

1 hour ago, Mystical said:

You have to give it to Arya. The patriarchy warped around her in every aspect of her life. What's her secret? I'm sure the other 99.99999999% of the female population, especially high borns, would love to know how she did it. She was free to be who she wanted to as a child (thanks to her parents being lax on her), she got to chose her own profession, she was never sexually threatened, guys are even courteous and ask if she is old enough to drink and she gets to chose who she has sex with.

Why couldn't poor Sansa have even 1/10th of Arya's patriarchy shield? Prisoner, forcefully married, raped and brutalized, overlooked for 'promotion'. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Iirc, Arya pretended to be a boy then was taken prisoner 3x before escaping into an assassins cult.  This wasn't a profession nor was it something she dreamed of.  With this training she put herself in a sexually threatening position, and eliminated the threat.  (Let's not forget, to paraphrase, have something put where the sun doesn't shine.)  She was then blinded for her trouble.  In case you haven't noticed she does have some serious ptsd.

Idk, why you're upset she's had agency.  Plot armor after the Waif fight, no doubt.   But, I think you have selective memory with what she endured at such a young age. 

7 minutes ago, teej6 said:

It looks like we’ll need night vision goggles  to see/understand what’s happening in the next episode. 

After all these years of watching dark/darker/darkest scenes we should all have a pair anyway! 

The only thing for sure in this adaptation is that Nicolaj Coster- Waldau is a better actor with his facial expressions than 90% of the cast is with their entire being. That look the gave Tyrion while Tormund is drinking that yak's piss was the highlight of the episode, just like his reaction to seeing Bran in episode 1 was the best bit of acting in that episode.

9 minutes ago, teej6 said:

It looks like we’ll need night vision goggles  to see/understand what’s happening in the next episode. 

I feel like I should be watching the show with a set of beer googles on, then it might be palatable.

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Tormund or somone actually mentioned having to GO AROUND the AotD, LOL  Like, ya know, going AROUND Moat Cailin, LOL 

That was exactly what I was thinking when he said it :lmao:"yeah like going around moat cailin" handwave, lampshading...

1 minute ago, Remember said:

The only thing for sure in this adaptation is that Nicolaj Coster- Waldau is a better actor with his facial expressions than 90% of the cast is with their entire being. That look the gave Tyrion while Tormund is drinking that yak's piss was the highlight of the episode, just like his reaction to seeing Bran in episode 1 was the best bit of acting in that episode.

I like the cast very much, mostly. But NCW is amazing, and I can’t stop thinking how incredible it would have been to see him playing book!Jaime. :crying:

27 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Between Theon/Sansa and Missworm, Euron/Cersei looks good in comparison.

The first two pairs share history and deep affection borne of suffering. Both are sweet and wonderful and beautiful.

The last pair is just the ugly completion of a whore's contract, two very ugly people made more ugly together.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I like the cast very much, mostly. But NCW is amazing, and I can’t stop thinking how incredible it would have been to see him playing book!Jaime. :crying:

The director clearly worked hard with all the actors to get them to act with their eyes not their mouths, and it really paid off with NCW.

5 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

The first two pairs share history and deep affection borne of suffering. Both are sweet and wonderful and beautiful.

They are made up boring and cliched nonsense.  One in particular was a result of that disaster they created in season 5.

56 minutes ago, briantw said:

So did Dany just forget that her dad was an asshole?  Because it seemed like she accepted it before.

Also, maybe Brienne could have fucking mentioned how Aerys was going to blow up King's Landing and kill half a million people, which was why Jaime killed him.  

"Your Grace, your dad was a cunt."

I think Tyrion actually told her, prior to the battle of Mereen - Maybe Ep 8 or 9 in Season 6?

Just now, OldGimletEye said:

They are made up boring and cliched nonsense. The last one in particular was a result of that disaster they created in season 5.

Martin created this whole story so that the downtrodden, especially those without dicks (women, cripples, and castrates) finally came into their own after being spat upon and shat upon through all the ages including our own.  Men who disparage those historical unfortunates whom Martin has raised up are the very men that his tale is about breaking the power of.  Worshipping the phallic patrimony is the wheel that he's breaking. Don't be part of that.

The Arya sex scene was unnecessary and felt really out of character. I’ve honestly never even thought about her as a woman. She’s just a badass who doesn’t, or hasn’t, ever really cared about sex. Why, now when there is so little time left to develop major plot points, introduce that? By far the worst part of the episode. That and short changing R+L=J for the second time in two weeks.

3 minutes ago, Remember said:

Beric dies saving the Hound, the Hound dies saving Sansa.

I think there's a 100% chance we're getting Clegane-bowl, so I don't think that Sandor will be punching his ticket next week.

47 minutes ago, UnViserion said:

Dany immediately concerned about the IT was frustrating. I get it, I really do. Jon probably could have broken the news to her better. He definitely should have broken the news to her sooner. Bran should have been present. But it doesn’t, fucking, matter. Highlights a serious character flaw on her part. She’s only in it for herself. 

he should had sam with him. 

2 minutes ago, Remember said:

Tormund dies saving Brienne, Brienne dies saving Jamie.

Beric dies saving the Hound, the Hound dies saving Sansa.

Theon dies saving Bran.

Grey Worm dies.

Gendry dies saving Arya. 

Jorah dies saving lady Mormont. 

Unfortunately, the show seems to have all but erased the connection between Sansa and the Hound. Which is ironic, since they can't seem to find anything to do with the Hound now. 

Archived