Eye color from birth?

Sigella

So Im reading F&B again and noticed multiple babies being born with their eye color apparent - not blue and later changing as in how it works in the real world.

Born in the waning days of 114 AC, the boy was a large, strapping lad, with brown hair, brown eyes, and a pug nose.

Fire and Blood, p 404

The child came precisely when the maesters had said he would; a boy, clean-limbed and healthy, with eyes as pale as lilac.” F&B p 333

Could there be something interesting to this?

Found another:

Princess Rhaenys was born on the seventh day of the seventh moon of the year, which the septons judged to be highly auspicious. Large and fierce, she had the black hair of her Baratheon mother and the pale violet eyes of her Targaryen father.

F&B p 327

Study of the family trees with descriptions of the Targaryens is fascinating.   I'm not convinced GRRM's genetics are real world genetics.  That said I do think there is something to the eye color of the Targaryens if not all the people of the world.   That the eye color is established at birth may not be as big a deal as the eye color itself.   Or the description of the eyes!   No clue what you are studying, but if it is Targ descriptions have you happened upon the spectrum of color and more curious use of milky or clear in conjunction?    

Eye color differentiates families and bloodlines.  Blue eyes are not uncommon but purple is.  It is one of the characteristics known collectively as the Blood Of The Dragon.  The Starks have among their family line this collection of traits called the Wolf's Blood.  It can carry personality quirks in some but we are only talking about physical characteristics here such as the long face and dark hair.  

On 4/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, Curled Finger said:

Study of the family trees with descriptions of the Targaryens is fascinating.   I'm not convinced GRRM's genetics are real world genetics.  That said I do think there is something to the eye color of the Targaryens if not all the people of the world.   That the eye color is established at birth may not be as big a deal as the eye color itself.   Or the description of the eyes!   No clue what you are studying, but if it is Targ descriptions have you happened upon the spectrum of color and more curious use of milky or clear in conjunction?    

I haven't. Milky are due to lens-issues so its a sign of illness or old age and clear eyes work the opposite so tells of young age or good health. And its description only accounts for what is inside the pupil so it doesn't affect the colour around it.

I do love puzzling over the eye colors in these books, because its such an obvious thing but at the same time the closer you look them the more you find.

Like pale eyes belong to villains; Roose Bolton, Tywin, Aerys and Viserys.

Red eyes are magic; Drogon, Bloodraven, Ghost and Melisandre.

And they have this thing where they are connected to houses; Tully-blue, Lannister-green, Stark-grey and then we have Dayne-purple which is goes against everything because they are first men and totally not valyrian.

Also there is this thing with heterochromia;

- Tyrion and Euron have one normal and one black eye - which is acquired heterochromia (from injury),

- Alyssa Targaryen (daughter of the Conciliator) have one green and one purple eye, Shiera Seastar has one blue and one green, so they have  heterochromia iridium which is genetic.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:53 PM, Karneol said:

It's more likely the Maesters skipped the whole "blue to whatever eyecolour" thing.

Thats what I thought too when I read it the first time, but when the author connects the description with births on three separate occasions I can't ignore it. Look at the wording in my quotes - it looks pretty darn specific to me.

6 hours ago, Sigella said:

I haven't. Milky are due to lens-issues so its a sign of illness or old age and clear eyes work the opposite so tells of young age or good health. And its description only accounts for what is inside the pupil so it doesn't affect the colour around it.

I do love puzzling over the eye colors in these books, because its such an obvious thing but at the same time the closer you look them the more you find.

Like pale eyes belong to villains; Roose Bolton, Tywin, Aerys and Viserys.

Red eyes are magic; Drogon, Bloodraven, Ghost and Melisandre.

And they have this thing where they are connected to houses; Tully-blue, Lannister-green, Stark-grey and then we have Dayne-purple which is goes against everything because they are first men and totally not valyrian.

Also there is this thing with heterochromia;

- Tyrion and Euron have one normal and one black eye - which is acquired heterochromia (from injury),

- Alyssa Targaryen (daughter of the Conciliator) have one green and one purple eye, Shiera Seastar has one blue and one green, so they have  heterochromia iridium which is genetic.

Ah yes, great reminders about the colors.  Good luck with your study. 

Archived