Anybody else thinking they are incredibly lazy and incompetent in how the only have characters interact who have an obvious back story rather than, you know, characters who actually are family members and have something to do with each other?

It is an utter disgrace that Bran apparently spends more time with Jaime than his own family.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

It is an utter disgrace that Bran apparently spends more time with Jaime than his own family.

It is utter disgrace that Starks didn't have alone time in this Season. All that talk of the pack, and we never see the 4 of them, alone, together.

20 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I'm pretty sure Jorah, Beric, Tormund, and Grey Worm were only kept alive this long in order to have climatic deaths against the White Walkers.

Sansa and Theon's scenes were beautiful. I personally felt romantic undertones there, but more in an unspoken, emotional sense. I have a feeling Theon may be meeting his end next episode.

The Gendrya sex scene felt really uncomfortable to me. I know Maisie's an adult, but she looks much younger, and it's weirder when you consider that she was a small child when we first met her. I also just don't find the chemistry between the two very convincing. 

Jaime and Brienne's scenes were great. Very emotional and well-acted. I felt the acting was pretty good all-around in this episode.

Actually, if I had to criticize anyone, it would probably be Tyrion, who's honestly kind of a drag these days.

It would make sense for Theon to die next episode, fighting for House Stark and the North, sent off to battle with an embrace from Robb's sister and her forgiveness.

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Dany's reaction to Jon's news was quite telling and could reinforce Sam's question as to would she give up the throne to save her people. But again, the choice of the Jenny of Oldstones song is VERY interesting. Prince Duncan gave up the throne for the woman he loved. Would Dany give up sole rule of the Seven Kingdoms for the man she loved? Her reaction to Jon's news would say no. She's angry. But seeing the person you love in mortal danger next week could change that. 

It is a dilemma for her, isn't it? Someone, I think it was Tyrion, mentioned that Jaime wasn't welcome but is Dany really welcome? Neither Missandei nor GW feel welcome and hopefully they will survive and live happily ever after in Naath. Jon has a family, the Starks are still his cousins, the Northmen trust him, the NW trusts him, so do the smallfolk and wildlings. Yara returned to her islands and Theon came back to fight for the Starks. And now, after surviving the Dothraki, the slavers, the deserts of Essos she has to step aside and give the throne to Jon? They could always rule together but there will be complications. 

Well in their defense Bran is super creepy.  I mean we all remember his conversation with Sansa when they first reunited.  Think she has been uncomfortable around him since, not quite sure arya or jon understand him at this point. Yeah the stark should have had at least one last scene all together but I can see why their wasnt. 

Just now, xander_blackfyre said:

Well in their defense Bran is super creepy.  I mean we all remember his conversation with Sansa when they first reunited.  Think she has been uncomfortable around him since, not quite sure arya or jon understand him at this point. Yeah the stark should have had at least one last scene all together but I can see why their wasnt. 

Didn't Bran also said in the previous episode that Jon is not his brother? And also he implied to Jaime that he is more 3eyed raven than Bran or something like that?

1 minute ago, Risto said:

It is utter disgrace that Starks didn't have alone time in this Season. All that talk of the pack, and we never see the 4 of them, alone, together.

They never were a pack in this show, were they, so what's the deal?

That they completely botched the Stark story is evident since they raped Sansa. Not to mention murdering Rickon, transforming Bran into a statue and Arya into a psycho killer and Jon into an B-movie action hero.

2 minutes ago, Danelle said:

It is a dilemma for her, isn't it? Someone, I think it was Tyrion, mentioned that Jaime wasn't welcome but is Dany really welcome? Neither Missandei nor GW feel welcome and hopefully they will survive and live happily ever after in Naath. Jon has a family, the Starks are still his cousins, the Northmen trust him, the NW trusts him, so do the smallfolk and wildlings. Yara returned to her islands and Theon came back to fight for the Starks. And now, after surviving the Dothraki, the slavers, the deserts of Essos she has to step aside and give the throne to Jon? They could always rule together but there will be complications. 

The entire North thing is just fake tension. The obvious solution for the Sansa-Dany fake tension would be that Dany grants Sansa the North when she moves down south to rule all with Jon at her side.

And the obvious solution for Jon/Dany is that they rule jointly as a loving couple should. Because, after all, all those Northmen who loath the Targaryens for pretty much no good reasons would also, of course, loath an 'Aegon Targaryen' for exactly the same reasons. Targaryens are Targaryens and the Iron Throne is the Iron Throne.

3 minutes ago, xander_blackfyre said:

They wrote Bran in that stupid manner. They made this choice and they wanted to make it. Brandon Stark isn't a youth who has forgotten how to talk and stares into the void the entire time.

Their entire conflict over the last couple of seasons was nonsense and fake tension.

4 minutes ago, Danelle said:

Didn't Bran also said in the previous episode that Jon is not his brother? And also he implied to Jaime that he is more 3eyed raven than Bran or something like that?

He isn't. He is his cousin.

Just now, xander_blackfyre said:

Maybe they didn't feel a need for a Stark scene because they will all survive?

I think that Theon, Jorah, and Jaime are all being set up for heroic deaths, so they need to have settled their other biz.  Theon showed Sansa, whom he watched being raped during his time as Reek, that he is back to being Theon; Jorah reconnected with his family and gave some final good advice to Dany; Jaime apologized to Bran, knighted Brienne, and had some time with his brother.  

I actually enjoyed Arya + Gendry (though I was totally not expecting it). It was not overly graphic, but at the same time showed how much she had grown up.  Plus, I'm just happy that SOMEONE is having sex with a person who is not a close relative!  Now, if only they could give Arya a flattering hairstyle, I would be happy. I was actually worried that Brienne would be the one who wanted to lose her virginity before the war, but the knighthood was a much better scene for her.  I think she smiled for the first time in the series!  I did wonder if Arya is being set up to die, but I think she might end with a pregnancy.  It would be cool if the person who has been so attached to death for so long could end up with a life growing inside of her.

It was nice seeing Gilly again! Lots of feels tonight, and her scene with the little girl who wants to fight was touching.

Who knew Pod could sing?  A man of many talents!

38 minutes ago, cirah1712 said:

True, it was still a lot more modest than most sex scenes we've seen, at least we didn't actually have to watch them having sex, I guess they don't have time for that anymore.

It was a completely different situation.

Almost every other sex scene was recreational. They were the idle rich literally fucking the country up. Jamie and Cersei's incest led to a civil war that caused countless deaths. Little Finger's customers gave him secrets of state in his brothels that put the kingdom in jeopardy.

As for there being no 'chemistry' between the actors. I think that was kind of the point. This is not making love, it is rutting before a battle they expect will end up killing both of them.

Wasn't there a scene in one of the trailers for this season showing Jaime's golden hand laying in the snow in the Winterfell keep? That is probably your standard trailer red herring though, because I still think we're getting some sort of Lannister family reunion.

Edited by Ser Sinister

53 minutes ago, cirah1712 said:

Some people will die. Some people we love, some we don't. As for the Bran thing, that guy managed to survive beyond the wall with a girl and one large man, so I really hope he is safe with a some good fighters around him. I don't think they'd want to cut off his arm, poor guy already basically has no legs.

They should set him on a dragon and fly him to Deepwood Motte. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Anybody else thinking they are incredibly lazy and incompetent in how the only have characters interact who have an obvious back story rather than, you know, characters who actually are family members and have something to do with each other?

I don’t agree on a few levels.  First, the point of Bran’s arc is that he has developed into something that is not amenable to nice family time.  That’s tragic but it’s deliberately so. 

And generally the idea of good tv writing is to focus on unexpected or interesting conversations.  The Starks getting together and affirming their love for each other (which has already been established) is simply not that important. 

14 minutes ago, Trebla said:

For those wondering about title of the episode (since HBO continues to not give ANYTHING away before the ep. airs), According to The AV Club it was titled "A Knight of the Seven Kingdom". Hmmm...that title sounds familiar. ;) 

I was just coming to say that (just saw it on the HBO website).  A Knight of the Seven Kingdom(plural) actually.  I think that's a good title.  

ETA:  I just realized what you're referring to.  Brienne is indeed Dunk's descendant.

Edited by bloodsteel bitterraven

2 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I don’t agree on a few levels.  First, the point of Bran’s arc is that he has developed into something that is not amenable to nice family time.  That’s tragic but it’s deliberately so. 

And generally the idea of good tv writing is to focus on unexpected or interesting conversations.  The Starks getting together and affirming their love for each other (which has already been established) is simply not that important. 

And what we good instead? Creepy stares by Littlefinger? Siblings actually mistrusting and trying to kill each other rather than, you know, talk? Pointless jokes?

There is no reason to believe that Bran's arc is going to transform into the thing we got in the book. This is bad writing. Having him doing nothing is just having him doing nothing. Why didn't they kill him?

3 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

But the Starks' reunion and affirming their loyalty and love is important.  "The lone wolf dies but the pack survives".  The only 'pack' seems to be Arya and Sansa; but during the night that could well be the last night of their lives, all four Starks - Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran - go their separate ways; which is sad...

Why are people mad that Starks are not in a scene together? I mean lets be real guys since when were they ever together at any point? There was never ever a scene even from the beginning when the starks were ever 'together' Theyre bound by family and thats about it. There was still some disconnect between them. Sansa was never ever close to Jon. Sansa and Arya disliked each other as children and even had their moments when arya returned to Winterfel. Catelyn Stark hated Jon Snow. Rob was neutral with the Bastard. The only real close relationship was Jon Arya and Bran. Bran is weirded out so them sitting together wont mean much