I lean towards the feeling of things being rushed but it's simply due to the constraints of the amount of time the show runners had left to stick the landing. Honestly, isn't this same issue likely why the last two books are proceeding glacially? Imagine writing all of the open plot and narrative arcs down on a white board and then making a flow chart of how to resolve them in two books. Either problem could have been solved by say, killing Sam, Theon, Arya, Tyrion (take your pick of PoV characters) but people would have hated that so, so much for either medium. 

This episode wasn't bad. But it couldn't be called good either.

5 hours ago, Vaughn said:

I lean towards the feeling of things being rushed but it's simply due to the constraints of the amount of time the show runners had left to stick the landing. Honestly, isn't this same issue likely why the last two books are proceeding glacially? Imagine writing all of the open plot and narrative arcs down on a white board and then making a flow chart of how to resolve them in two books. Either problem could have been solved by say, killing Sam, Theon, Arya, Tyrion (take your pick of PoV characters) but people would have hated that so, so much for either medium. 

Time constraints of the showrunners' own creation.

The showrunners had a chance to simplify the story but apparently simplifying it meant urinating in a wineglass and calling it vintage.

For the record, I think Theon, Arya and Tyrion are going to die in the books and the TV show so...

I don't really care about Edmure Tully, but I'll be annoyed if they don't tie up that loose end.
Jamie could've easily rallied the Riverland army (if there's anything left of it) and Edmure when he rode north. 

With that said, Arya did more or less behead the Freys a whole season aka a whole year ago, and no one has mentioned it and nothing (what we know of) has occurred the Riverlands since. Maybe they really are going to sweep it all under the rug and hope that no one remembers or cares.

:thumbsdown:

Edited by MinscS2

5 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Why does it feel like I'm the only one who didn't have a problem with Arya having sex?

She's obviously not an eleven year old girl anymore.

I didn't mind it per se, but it felt forced. 
Like the point of the scene was to appease Gendrya-shippers more than to actually progress the story. 

I hope it will lead to something, but with only 4 episodes left...who knows.
If Gendry dies the next episode (unlikely), then at least it made some sense to throw that scene in now, but if he doesn't...meh.

18 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

I didn't mind it per se, but it felt forced. 
Like the point of the scene was to appease Gendrya-shippers more than to actually progress the story. 

I hope it will lead to something, but with only 4 episodes left...who knows.
If Gendry dies the next episode (unlikely), then at least it made some sense to throw that scene in now, but if he doesn't...meh.

I agree; it was a little forced but in comparison to the other forced or out-of-character moments, this felt better so I can rock with it. I feel like that this a major character beat from the novels for Arya.

GRRM has already confirmed that Arya is going to flower in Winds which in their often-backwards world means that she is no longer a girl but a maiden. Not quite a woman grown but old enough to consent to sex and marriage ostensibly.

It might not be with Gendry (very likely) but Arya is definitely not going to die or survive the series a virgin.

54 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I agree; it was a little forced but in comparison to the other forced or out-of-character moments, this felt better so I can rock with it. I feel like that this a major character beat from the novels for Arya.

GRRM has already confirmed that Arya is going to flower in Winds which in their often-backwards world means that she is no longer a girl but a maiden. Not quite a woman grown but old enough to consent to sex and marriage ostensibly.

It might not be with Gendry (very likely) but Arya is definitely not going to die or survive the series a virgin.

That first kiss when she went for it, it seemed so awkward lol. I read an interview and she said when she sat down for the table reading and saw that scene, she thought it was a joke

On 4/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

This episode wasn't bad. But it couldn't be called good either.

Time constraints of the showrunners' own creation.

The showrunners had a chance to simplify the story but apparently simplifying it meant urinating in a wineglass and calling it vintage.

For the record, I think Theon, Arya and Tyrion are going to die in the books and the TV show so...

It was good as far as being a build up episode. I am ready for the reunion of the Red Woman and Arya though. It's been since season 3....

2 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Not that I doubt it couldn't be true, hell, I recall noticing that Arya was noticing her legs getting longer and longer in AFFC I believe, but do you have source on that for GRRM saying Arya would 'flower' in TWOW? 

50 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Not that I doubt it couldn't be true, hell, I recall noticing that Arya was noticing her legs getting longer and longer in AFFC I believe, but do you have source on that for GRRM saying Arya would 'flower' in TWOW? 

I'm going to reply in spoilers because it's from the chapters GRRM has released from the next book.

Spoiler

In the next book a chapter on Arya says she has breasts, I think the midget from the play pinches them specifically. So, I assume that means puberty and the rest? I know a girl can develop breasts before "flowering" but there is no reason for it in a story. 

19 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I'm going to reply in spoilers because it's from the chapters GRRM has released from the next book.

Hide contents

In the next book a chapter on Arya says she has breasts, I think the midget from the play pinches them specifically. So, I assume that means puberty and the rest? I know a girl can develop breasts before "flowering" but there is no reason for it in a story. 

I have read the Mercy chapter, thanks.

I was just hoping to see a quote from GRRM saying that Arya would flower in Winds.  That's the way the poster seemed to word it in their post.  All kinds of development happens before menstruation actually occurs.  I'm not sure why you say their is no place for it in a story, we've already seen how one instance of 'flowering' fed into a character's story in the moment, and....as growth in general. 

2 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I have read the Mercy chapter, thanks.

I was just hoping to see a quote from GRRM saying that Arya would flower in Winds.  That's the way the poster seemed to word it in their post.  All kinds of development happens before menstruation actually occurs.  I'm not sure why you say their is no place for it in a story, we've already seen how one instance of 'flowering' fed into a character's story in the moment, and....as growth in general. 

Your welcome, and I was hiding that little bit because not everyone reads those chapters.

I must not have been clear in my meaning. I know very well how the body works, what I am saying is that there is no reason for Arya to develop in some aspects and not "flower". 

Just now, dbunting said:

Your welcome, and I was hiding that little bit because not everyone reads those chapters.

I must not have been clear in my meaning. I know very well how the body works, what I am saying is that there is no reason for Arya to develop in some aspects and not "flower". 

I didn't put anything from the Mercy chapter out and about, but considering most of the Mercy chapter has been done on the show anyway, I'm not sure what the big deal is.  Mainly, I was asking the first person for a quote from GRRM, as was implied in the post. 

3 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I'm asking if there is a GRRM quote for this, as it seems to suggest.

6 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I didn't put anything from the Mercy chapter out and about, but considering most of the Mercy chapter has been done on the show anyway, I'm not sure what the big deal is.  Mainly, I was asking the first person for a quote from GRRM, as was implied in the post. 

Gotcha

17 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I'm asking if there is a GRRM quote for this, as it seems to suggest.

I knew I had read something about this the other day, so I went on a hunt: this is a copy and paste (sweetsunray was the original poster, in the 'Arya Losin' It' thread):

"The answer is mentioned in the SSM archive of a whole day of conversations with GRRM during Balticon by 2 people who went together. And one of them also reported the actual conversation: ("me" is one of the two people going there)

Me: So Arya and Gendry, I felt like there were many romantic undertones between them in the books. Are you building towards something between them? Are you planning on developing a future relationship?..

GRRM: *smiling* I'm going to visit them again, but I'm not spoiling everything for you. They are still very young.

Me: But you wrote the Mercy chapter...

GRRM: Yes, I did write Mercy. Arya is growing up fast, but not as fast as her actress Maisie. *has a little chuckle*..

Me: Will Arya be flowering in TWOW?..

GRRM: *nods his head and smiles again* Soon..

7 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I knew I had read something about this the other day, so I went on a hunt: this is a copy and paste (sweetsunray was the original poster, in the 'Arya Losin' It' thread):

"The answer is mentioned in the SSM archive of a whole day of conversations with GRRM during Balticon by 2 people who went together. And one of them also reported the actual conversation: ("me" is one of the two people going there)

Me: So Arya and Gendry, I felt like there were many romantic undertones between them in the books. Are you building towards something between them? Are you planning on developing a future relationship?..

GRRM: *smiling* I'm going to visit them again, but I'm not spoiling everything for you. They are still very young.

Me: But you wrote the Mercy chapter...

GRRM: Yes, I did write Mercy. Arya is growing up fast, but not as fast as her actress Maisie. *has a little chuckle*..

Me: Will Arya be flowering in TWOW?..

GRRM: *nods his head and smiles again* Soon..

Thank you very much.  :cheers: