3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Somebody's take on it, I guess. Not that anyone has any reason to assume George had any input on that. Neither Summerhall nor any names of 'the ghosts' were mentioned.

Why would they be? https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jenny's_song

Arya Stark hears the song when the brotherhood takes her to High Heart for the first time. The men meet with the ghost of High Heart, who requests her song after telling them of her recent dreams.[1] Tom of Sevenstreams sings the song, accompanying the words with his woodharp. The song is so soft and sad that Arya can only hear snatches of the words, though the tune is half familiar to her. "Sansa would know it I bet", she thinks.[2]

When the brotherhood go to High Heart a second time,[3] Tom again sings the song for the dwarf woman. As he is singing she closes her eyes and rocks slowly back and forth, murmuring the words and crying. Thoros of Myr takes Arya firmly by the hand and draws her aside, telling her,

Let her savour her song in peace. It is all she has left.[4]

Later, while the brotherhood waits for Merrett Frey to arrive at Oldstones with his brother’s ransom, Tom may have been singing some lyrics of the song while sitting on the sepulchre of King Tristifer IV Mudd. Merrett finds the music is soft and sad, and he thinks of the song's lyrics,

High in the halls of the kings who are gone, Jenny would dance with her ghosts ...[5]

1 minute ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I think that Jorah and Grey Worm won't survive the Battle of Winterfell.

Some people will die. Some people we love, some we don't. As for the Bran thing, that guy managed to survive beyond the wall with a girl and one large man, so I really hope he is safe with a some good fighters around him. I don't think they'd want to cut off his arm, poor guy already basically has no legs.

2 minutes ago, cirah1712 said:

I guess its a bit weird, I think most people still see her as that mouthy kid from Season 1, but she's a woman now. 

I mean I get that. I definitely see her as different from her season 1 character. Just out of all the characters I really wasn't expectin it to be her stripping on camera and whatnot.

9 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Somebody's take on it, I guess. Not that anyone has any reason to assume George had any input on that. Neither Summerhall nor any names of 'the ghosts' were mentioned.

Possibly. I think that Grrm had said that it was a sad song and writing the lyrics would be difficult.

Also interesting how Jaime referred to Brienne as Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Is it something said during a knighting or a reference to Dunk?

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

I mean I get that. I definitely see her as different from her season 1 character. Just out of all the characters I really wasn't expectin it to be her stripping on camera and whatnot.

True, it was still a lot more modest than most sex scenes we've seen, at least we didn't actually have to watch them having sex, I guess they don't have time for that anymore.

btw can someone tell me what happened right after Jon tells Dany about his parentage because my TV cut out right then because it's storming out bad + my mom's DVR stuff kicked in and I can't get my directtv account to work (no fucking surprise there, it's useless. IDK why we switched from xFinity to DirectTV when it's fucking garbage)

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Because I'd expect the song to actually touch upon Jenny's story and her ghosts in a more specific sense. While we don't have the lyrics aside from the one line we cannot know what kind of song it is. I expect to be some kind of ballad, meaning it actually tells a story rather being just some sort of moody piece about a dancer and her ghosts. Even more so since we know that Duncan and Jenny's romance inspired many a song.

But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

For me it feels like the kind of thing they pulled out of their asses with what they had.

1 minute ago, Danelle said:

Possibly. I think that Grrm had said that it was a sad song and writing the lyrics would be difficult.

Also interesting how Jaime referred to Brienne as Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Is it something said during a knighting or a reference to Dunk?

Yeah, I guess that was some kind of superficial reference. They are long past the point to do something as decent as actual include Dunk as her ancestor, are they?

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

All the featured players in this ep are going to survive next Sunday night's Battle of Winterfell and the Night King.

What makes me think this is because they have to get the Night King out of the way so the human drama can play out, which is what everyone's invested in anyway.

It's what comes after, and Cersei, Euron and the Gold Company, that's when the death toll starts kicking in.  Fortunately the Iron Throne will be moot as it too will be destroyed -- yay!

Also, as everyone makes sacrifices here, if Bran is the Night King's radar or sonar or gps tracking device -- just cut off his marked arm, put it in a pit of tar and straw and when the NK arrives, set it on fire with dragon's breath. 

That was my feeling anyway.  There is nothing to say I am right.

Why is everything so dark that hardly anything can be seen?  It is winter, it is night, with only fire for light, but still -- this is tv! in the 21st century! We should at least be able to see the horses.

Its lit like that for a reason. Not only is it because its night, and winter, the dark lighting conveys the dark tone of the show, its gotten darker season by season because the show has too. Make no mistake, it is deliberate. Lighting is tricky, and creating low light is often harder that high light. That is not sloppy lightwork by any means. 

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

btw can someone tell me what happened right after Jon tells Dany about his parentage because my TV cut out right then because it's storming out bad + my mom's DVR stuff kicked in and I can't get my directtv account to work (no fucking surprise there, it's useless. IDK why we switched from xFinity to DirectTV when it's fucking garbage)

Dany says that he has a claim to the Iron Throne as the last male Targaryen.

Because it's been her obsession. She still doesn't realize it doesn't matter anymore. Jon does, though.

I'm pretty sure Jorah, Beric, Tormund, and Grey Worm were only kept alive this long in order to have climatic deaths against the White Walkers.

Sansa and Theon's scenes were beautiful. I personally felt romantic undertones there, but more in an unspoken, emotional sense. I have a feeling Theon may be meeting his end next episode.

The Gendrya sex scene felt really uncomfortable to me. I know Maisie's an adult, but she looks much younger, and it's weirder when you consider that she was a small child when we first met her. I also just don't find the chemistry between the two very convincing. 

Jaime and Brienne's scenes were great. Very emotional and well-acted. I felt the acting was pretty good all-around in this episode.

Actually, if I had to criticize anyone, it would probably be Tyrion, who's honestly kind of a drag these days.

1 minute ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Because it's been her obsession. She still doesn't realize it doesn't matter anymore. Jon does, though.

This is all fake tension again. No real character will give a crap about any of that in any sane setting.

The entire 'characterization' of Emilia is nonsensical here. What did Dany want to do in the first season of this show? She wanted to GO HOME! She had no intention to become Drogo's wife to help Viserys to get his throne, did she? So since when is Emilia only about that stupid chair?

They don't give a damn about their own nonsense anymore.

4 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Dany said it can't be true and asked him who told him.  He says Bran and Sam.  She thinks it's really convenient that his brother and best friend would tell him that, but Jon assures her it's true.  She tells him, he's the last male Targaryen heir, and that he has a claim to the Iron Throne.  Jon looks at her without saying anything, and the horns blow.  They head out and they find Tyrion.  Jon nods at her, and they walk away.  Final scene is the white walkers outside Winterfell.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Because I'd expect the song to actually touch upon Jenny's story and her ghosts in a more specific sense. While we don't have the lyrics aside from the one line we cannot know what kind of song it is. I expect to be some kind of ballad, meaning it actually tells a story rather being just some sort of moody piece about a dancer and her ghosts. Even more so since we know that Duncan and Jenny's romance inspired many a song.

But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

For me it feels like the kind of thing they pulled out of their asses with what they had.

Yeah, I guess that was some kind of superficial reference. They are long past the point to do something as decent as actual include Dunk as her ancestor, are they?

Well so far Dunk has been mentioned only once I think, so it was probably a very subtle hint. Still interesting to see Lady Rohanne''s greatgrandson knighting Brienne.

1 minute ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

She also notes that the proof of Jon's ancestry cames from his brother and his bff. Wonder if this will be a prelude to a dance of the dragons. Besides Sansa made it clear that the North wants to be indepedent.

2 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Dany said it can't be true and asked him who told him.  He says Bran and Sam.  She thinks it's really convenient that his brother and best friend would tell him that, but Jon assures her it's true.  She tells him, he's the last male Targaryen heir, and that he has a claim to the Iron Throne.  Jon looks at her without saying anything, and the horns blow.  They head out and they find Tyrion.  Jon nods at her, and they walk away.  Final scene is the white walkers outside Winterfell.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I hate living out in the boonies. 

Also Bran indeed said to Jaime "the things I do for love". His tone was very unsettling. While ago there was a theory that BR orchestrated the events leading to Bran's defenestration.

1 minute ago, Danelle said:

Also Bran indeed said to Jaime "the things I do for love". His tone was very unsettling. While ago there was a theory that BR orchestrated the events leading to Bran's defenestration.

No idea how he could have done that, even more since Summer seems to have to tried to prevent him from going up there, but there is something to that since greenseers are supposed to be marked - the Children have weird eyes, Bloodraven is an albino, but Bran was completely normal - until he was crippled.

But then, perhaps it was a lucky accident. Without the coma Bloodraven could have never helped Bran to open his third eye.

A few other things...

Before the season, I knew Sam would give Heartsbane to someone else since it was too important to not be used. I thought it would be the Hound but now it really was obvious that it would be Ser Jorah. They have the connection with the Old Bear and Sam healed him. It was a nice moment, as was Ser Jorah and Lady Lyanna Mormont. 

Dany's reaction to Jon's news was quite telling and could reinforce Sam's question as to would she give up the throne to save her people. But again, the choice of the Jenny of Oldstones song is VERY interesting. Prince Duncan gave up the throne for the woman he loved. Would Dany give up sole rule of the Seven Kingdoms for the man she loved? Her reaction to Jon's news would say no. She's angry. But seeing the person you love in mortal danger next week could change that.