Haven't read everything here, but did anyone spot a powerful moment involving Missandre? Before her discussion with Greyworm about leaving Winterfell for home asap, she'd approached 2 local Northern kids who gave her a filthy look and ran off. To me, that look said "We don't want none of you darkies up here".

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

No Kings Landing in this episode, thus no Cersei.  I confess to thinking this lack of her delivery via clenched teeth -- never call it good acting! much less acting at all! -- contributed to this viewer's all over satisfaction with this episode.

If you think Lena is not delivering good acting, you clearly have a very special opinion. Lena is the best actress on the entire show. Her performance is the most praised by critics. And there is no different opinion on this matter, as far as critics go.

Edited by T and A

3 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Haven't read everything here, but did anyone spot a powerful moment involving Missandre? Before her discussion with Greyworm about leaving Winterfell for home asap, she'd approached 2 local Northern kids who gave her a filthy look and ran off. To me, that look said "We don't want none of you darkies up here".

i noticed that.  Apparently the North is occupied by racist children now.

Doubt they were that mean to Catelyn Stark back in the day!

1 minute ago, Thinishter Goat said:

i noticed that.  Apparently the North is occupied by racist children now.

Doubt they were that mean to Catelyn Stark back in the day!

I'd like to tell them to be careful what they wish for. They'll be under the control of very white gentlemen next week!

8 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Yes! It was very "northerners are racists" moment. Didn't see the need for that, as we had a scene much like this in EP01

13 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

And last episode two adult northerners stared at them with cold indifference.

The showrunners have made an excellent job of portraying the northerners as xenophobic, racist assholes.
They also pride themselves with their motto "the north remembers", which probably got lost in translation somewhere, because in the last couple of seasons, "the north forgets" or "the north never remembers" would've been appropriate. 

Ah well, if Eddison Tollet and Tormund is to be believed, every northman not currently at Winterfell is dead and turned at this point. I'm almost tempted to say good riddance...

Edited by MinscS2

3 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

And last episode two adult northerners stared at them with cold indifference.

The showrunners have made an excellent job of portraying the northerners as xenophobic, racist assholes.
They also pride themselves with their motto "the north remembers", which probably got lost in translation somewhere, because in the last couple of seasons, "the north forgets" or "the north never remembers" would've been appropriate. 

Ah well, if Eddison Tollet and Tormund is to be believed, every northman not currently at Winterfell is dead and turned at this point. I'm almost tempted to say good riddance...

Funnily enough, I'm concurrently discussing climate breakdown in another thread on this forum. That's basically my attitude toward the human race. Given the Others are an allegory of climate breakdown, I'm rooting for them!  ;-)

2 hours ago, NanNymeria said:
2 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

Isn’t this confirmed by the intro to the episode? Don’t we see the blue tiles go past 

The tiles arrive at the surroundings of Winterfell, I think, which is where the dead are at the end of the chapter. Let's see next intro but in case they destroy Winterfell I do not think that producers would show that in the intro. What a  dumb spoiler it would be

The tiles started from Last Hearth this episode and were slowly creeping to Winterfell. I expect the blue tiles will be in front of Winterfell next episode. As we have seen the WW in front of Winterfell that's hardly a spoiler. In episode 4 we will see where those tiles go, around Winterfell or through it.

32 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

O that was clear as fresh ice, all right.

The North doesn't like outsides generally, They Say.  But they don't run from other outsiders who came with Jon and Daenerys, and they don't spit at them either, which also happened from a balcony above.

4 minutes ago, Squall said:

The tiles started from Last Hearth this episode and were slowly creeping to Winterfell. I expect the blue tiles will be in front of Winterfell next episode. As we have seen the WW in front of Winterfell that's hardly a spoiler. In episode 4 we will see where those tiles go, around Winterfell or through it.

Ahem. Under it. The crypts feature VERY prominently in the credits. Expect to see a lot of zombie women and children next week.

58 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Assumptions are irrelevant. For his character and arc to be relevant this should have been part of the plot. Again - what purpose has his entire role and arc that couldn't have resolved by a diary? Sam also learned about Rhaegar and Lyanna and somebody else could also have read about the Children and the Others.

The entire character is completely pointless, even more since he doesn't even participate in the stories and plots he could and would have participated in had he been an actual character (i.e. the Littlefinger nonsense last season or the Jon stuff this season).

Not to mention the fact that he could have helped various characters to reconnect, to help them through their troubles, etc. because he fucking knows everything they went through. He knows what Sansa, Arya, Jon, etc. went through.

Assumptions might be irrelevant, but inferences aren't. Unless you prefer stories with zero subtext. I don't entirely disagree with your viewpoint that Bran (and many other characters) have become underdeveloped and underused. But you seem to favor an extreme position ("completely pointless", "irrelevant") that makes me bristle. Ned Stark was careful to keep Jon's true parentage a secret, at the expense of his own honor, but he would have been careless enough to leave a diary behind?

I do think it's odd that Howland Reed hasn't been mentioned yet, since he is a still-living character who was a witness to what transpired at the Tower of Joy. In fact, as a Stark bannerman, he should already be at Winterfell along with everyone else.

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Assumptions are irrelevant. For his character and arc to be relevant this should have been part of the plot. .

I totally agree with this - not just with regard to Bran, but to everything about the show recently. Why is so much happening off screen or not at all? To quote Dr. Strange, it's the muthafucking end game, yo! (Think that's the quote).

No need to hold back anything from the audience unless there's some big twist. A cool one would be the Night King attacking KL, which I doubt happens since it would mean Bran totally fucked up by not seeing it happen. 

5 minutes ago, Buckyball said:

Assumptions might be irrelevant, but inferences aren't. Unless you prefer stories with zero subtext. I don't entirely disagree with your viewpoint that Bran (and many other characters) have become underdeveloped and underused. But you seem to favor an extreme position ("completely pointless", "irrelevant") that makes me bristle. Ned Stark was careful to keep Jon's true parentage a secret, at the expense of his own honor, but he would have been careless enough to leave a diary behind?

I was talking about basic plot exposition. Bran simply has no function in any of that and they make no attempt of using him in a meaningful way. And it is the same with Arya. Sure, she can kill people now. But she never does. She has a skill set that's never used outside of fake tension scenarios. That's neither a proper story nor good characterization.

I do think it's odd that Howland Reed hasn't been mentioned yet, since he is a still-living character who was a witness to what transpired at the Tower of Joy. In fact, as a Stark bannerman, he should already be at Winterfell along with everyone else.

Nobody cares about Howland Reed in the show. And if he were just to enter the story as a plot device to tell things people could learn via a diary, say, then this is just fine as well. In fact, if all Reed is going to do in the books is giving basic exposition he can stay at home there, too. But then - in the books there is an Isle of Faces and he interacted with and learned from the Green Men so he likely is more than just a plot device to dump information on people.

5 minutes ago, Remember said:

I totally agree with this - not just with regard to Bran, but to everything about the show recently. Why is so much happening off screen or not at all? To quote Dr. Strange, it's the muthafucking end game, yo! (Think that's the quote).

No need to hold back anything from the audience unless there's some big twist. A cool one would be the Night King attacking KL, which I doubt happens since it would mean Bran totally fucked up by not seeing it happen. 

Basically, writing Bran they wrote him is just nonsense. How fucked up this was could be seen when Tyrion talked to him and then they decided to leave when Bran supposedly told Tyrion his story. 

These morons treat everything as if all the characters were also watching the show and knew what had transpired elsewhere. But they don't. There is a lot of great potential for drama there in all these people reconnecting and interacting, seeing how life and events scarred and twisted them, etc. but this show never even raises any of those issues (exception being unintentionally funny stuff like Arya threatening Jon, Arya's collection of cut-off faces being revealed, Bran talking weird).

7 minutes ago, Buckyball said:

Yeah, and Meera too, right? Does anyone know if the actress that plays her was a part of the season? I assume they'd keep the Howland Reed casting a secret. 

11 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Nobody cares about Howland Reed in the show. And if he were just to enter the story as a plot device to tell things people could learn via a diary, say, then this is just fine as well. In fact, if all Reed is going to do in the books is giving basic exposition he can stay at home there, too. But then - in the books there is an Isle of Faces and he interacted with and learned from the Green Men so he likely is more than just a plot device to dump information on people.

Howland Reed was an important part of Bran's flashback in Season 6 episode 3. He also has a living daughter who has been part of the show.

Daenerys was dubious when John's only supporting evidence were his best friend's research and his brother/cousin's psychic visions. I imagine a living corroborating witness who can make a convincing personal testimony might help sway her, if it ever turns out that she needs swaying.

Given how few episodes are left, I suspect we'll find out that the Howland Reed setup from season 6 wound up being abandoned here at the end.

Bran can persuade her the same way he persuades everyone else about his omniscient powers: re-tell a quote that no one else but the person he needs to persuade (in this case, Daenerys) would know about.

In her case, he could quote her lasts words to Khal Drogo before she ended his torment. 

1 minute ago, Buckyball said:

I think in book canon his powers wouldn't give him access to that moment because there weren't any nearby weirwood trees. Hard to say in the show, though. If he is the world's memory then I guess he has access to every moment everywhere.

Show-Bran probably doesn't need weirwood trees in order to see stuff.
He knew all about Littlefingers treachery in Kings Landing and afaik they have no weirwood tree's there. 

The show does try to make a point about how he knows "everything" that has been and currently is - he's just bad at sorting out the important visions/memories from the irrelevant ones.