[Poll] How would you rate episode 802?

How would you rate episode 802?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

2 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Why is that a problem?

Why is the problem having characters that are left there for no purpose? It makes bad storytelling for one. 

For me, it didn't work and they have more things than they are capable of successfully juggling with. That said, I do understand some other people may feel different. I just find it bad from storytelling POV.

3 minutes ago, Risto said:

I just find it bad from storytelling POV.

Well, OK, I simply don't see your point. Theye were important for storytelling over seven episodes. Now the Great War is ahead and some minor characters are not important for TWO episodes of reunions and farewells. So what? That is bad storytelling? Really? I don't feel so.

But of course, I accept your feelings. I can just give the advice to enjoy knowing the background instead of moaning about it. 

10 on the normal, everything on TV scale meaning this was one of the best 10% of tv episodes made this season..  Would have been an 8 or 9 on the old just GoT scale.

Once you give the episodes a couple of conceits, I think it really was excellent.  Tyrion and all of team Dany believed Cersei last season despite them saying she would just be laying a trap for them right before they left.  It is one of the two incredibly stupid essential plot points that drove last season, but it was done and now they have to write based on it.  The other is (at is was SO apparent this episode), this is not a society based on feudal society as it is in the books.  This is a fantasy world where people generally think like modern people.  They have been doing this most of the show, though it's become stronger in the later season as they truly begin to pander to their fans.

That out of the way, this was excellent stuff.   It set the tone well for Ep 3's giant (and likely hollow) spectacle.  They gave most of the heavy lifting to their stronger actors and minimized the damage done by Clarke and Harrington.  I wish they had included Varys in the fireplace scene, the only reason I can think for leaving him out was he was busy actually doing something (for once in a LONG time).  It felt very good to have Jaime and Tyrion back together.  They played it more serious and just left Tormund around for the laughs (which is character appropriate).

2 minutes ago, legba11 said:

I wish they had included Varys in the fireplace scene, the only reason I can think for leaving him

There were all war-hardended characters in the fireplace scenes, even Tyrion hadn't have his share of battle. So it makes sense that these people respect each other and have a "before the battle" talk.

It would have made no sense at all to include Varys.

Further, this is (unfortunately) somehow a "farewell" scene. I wonder how many of those we will see again after the battle.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Could you elaborate on what you didn't like? 

Sure thing, i've posted this in the rant and rave thread, thought this was only about rating:

I don't think i've ever participated in one of these threads, but enough is enough.

Seriously the Stark children are apart for so long, yet in their last night they all go about their business?

Also Jon's reveal to Dany was so poorly done, just to create pointless drama. It has been established in Jon's character arc so far that:

- He doesn't want to be king of anything.
- He makes decisions always for the greater good.

Jon would know at this point, that telling Dany the truth with a long pause like he is some kind of Drama student, would accomplish nothing. Why would he unsettle his biggest asset just before a fight?

The only thing that i really liked was Theon + Brianne getting knighted, rest was telenovela levels of story telling.

Gave it a 4. 

Basically this episode added nothing to the plot line. Nor was it action packed.

For me, a slow-ish episode can be forgiven if it moves the story forward - this didnt. And an episode that doesnt add to the plot can be forgiven if its got some badass action  scenes, which this didnt either. Basically a waste of screen time. 

Edited by MoonKnight21

4 minutes ago, MagicPen said:

Seriously the Stark children are apart for so long, yet in their last night they all go about their business?

+ Sansa and Theon catch up.

+ Arya has the typical warrior's sex before the fight. Her first sex ever, Don't want to miss that before dying.

+ Jon has just yesterday learned that Lyanna is his mother and tries to find his peace at her statue in the Crypts.

I like these last actions before a battle. Sounds understandable to me.

6 minutes ago, MagicPen said:

Why would he unsettle his biggest asset just before a fight?

Well, Daenerys looks for him and finds him. The talk comes to Lyanna. He ist just drawn into it. We see him hesitate, he knows what he is about to say. He was always a man of honor, of directness, and not the most tactical and smart one. 

Yes, I agree it is a mistake, but it is true to how we know Jon. He messes things up in exactly this way.

3 minutes ago, MoonKnight21 said:

Basically this episode added nothing to the plot line. Nor was it action packed.

E1 was reunion and gathering, E2 is preparation and farewell. Yes, the big action will be in E3.

But E2 added a lot to the plot line.

+ Bran reveals to be the three-eyed raven, that he represents the memory of humankind, and that he is the primary target of the Nightking. Now we know what the Nightking is after -- yes, very many of us guessed so, but this is a major step forward in the plot.

+ Jon reveals his parentage to Daenerys.

+ Brienne's arc with knighthood, a farewell party of several hardended warrior... 

After all, yes, E2 was about emotions and very much so. I liked it because of that. E1 was to rushed and emotionless.

An 8 but probably the first time I ever deducted a point for nudity.

Possibly the only thing I didnt want to see on GOT.  Not that I didnt want to see her undress but the way they did it just didnt do her any justice.  I didnt think the airbrush artist from Cosmo was still working.  Please.   Who is next, Brianne?  She cleans up well BTW.

This was a nice episode but really didnt move the story along or provide closure.  Lots of open ended scenes. 

Now the stage is set, lets hope for 4 epic episodes to end the saga AS HAVE BEEN PROMISED and that have supposedly been the cause of the long delay between years.

Edited by Ser Graymax

Solid 8/10.

This was the first legitimately good episode of GoT in years. It may not have had the narrative thrill of faithfully adapted book material (no one does aSoIaF like Martin, after all), but it also didn't have any of the usual flaws that were present even in the early seasons. It might be one of the few well-rounded episodes of the entire show.

It was honestly a pleasure to watch, something I didn't think was possible anymore with my level of indifference to GoT. Granted, you need ignore the seasons worth of hackneyed storytelling and unearned character developments, but if you can accept the spirit of what the show runners want you to feel it work very well. Cogman was always the one writer other than Martin that seemed to give a damn about these characters and how they would really behave, and this was a stark contrast last week's typical GoT experience.

It was nice to be able to root for Sansa for once, or finally see book Jaime and Brienne again (her being knighted was the best scene of the episode), or Theon have a scene with Starks that he had a real connection with (even if one of them is show only). Even Arya's coldness felt like a natural progression of her story over the years.

And Ghost was back!

3 out of 10 for me.

Pod singing was the highlight of the episode even if it was a ripoff of Mist and Shadow. And anything with Edd is great.

But this episode just boils down to the writers not having the ability to write tension. For 8 seasons, we've been waiting for this - The Battle of Dawn. And yet, it felt so underwhelming. Not one time during this episode did it really feel like the characters were really in the moment.

But as others have pointed out, the show now just proceeds to have big announcements be cut short by some interruption.

If this was a 10 episode season I think I would have liked it a lot more. But as of now, we have spent a third of the season basically having characters catch up. That's a lot...

I did like this episode more than last weeks though, less "stupid" scenes. I really think they could have mushed last episode and this in one like 80-90 minute episode and cut a lot of the filler between the two.

7/10 but barely a 7. It was borderline with a 6.

13 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

3 out of 10 for me.

Pod singing was the highlight of the episode even if it was a ripoff of Mist and Shadow. And anything with Edd is great.

But this episode just boils down to the writers not having the ability to write tension. For 8 seasons, we've been waiting for this - The Battle of Dawn. And yet, it felt so underwhelming. Not one time during this episode did it really feel like the characters were really in the moment.

But as others have pointed out, the show now just proceeds to have big announcements be cut short by some interruption.

This was huge for me. At the end I didn't feel like this is going to be a giant epic stressful battle. They kept telling me it would be, but not showing. I am really tired of characters telling me how I should think and feel instead of showing me.

7/10- I really liked it, felt like an improvement over the last 2 seasons. Loved seeing all the characters together, like in the war council scene, about to fight together. Like, REALLY loved it. Teared up during Brienne's knighting, the best moment of the episode. Loved the use of Jenny of Oldstones too. I think what's dragging this story currently is basically Cersei (thank god they didn't go over to King's Landing) and Dany's weird characterization (her always thinking about the iron throne is annoying, this is bigger than that, it's just such a weird digression; and Clarke's acting doesn't help, although I'm chalking that up to writing and direction mostly).

8 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

Teared up during Brienne's knighting

Yes, that was moving, but I also like Brienne vouching for Jamie very much, too. That was even more moving to me. Also Sansa's reaction to Brienne vouching. 

There were many nice scenes in E2. Samwell/Jorah was great and moving, too.