[Poll] How would you rate episode 802?

How would you rate episode 802?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I'm honestly confused by the fans that loved it, calling it one of the best episodes in years, and those with very low scores basically calling it boring, filler, where nothing happened.

I'm honestly shocked how a GOT fan could have that sentiment and score so low but to each their own.  

One of the primary reasons I gave this episode a 10 is because to me, it was the most satisfying episode of any of the seasons (so far) for this viewer.  One could even say it was the best written, because without knowing the previous seasons and the backstory to all the primary players, one wouldn't know what was going on, but knowing, as we sorts do know, it was (mostly) coherent narrative, with cohesion -- unlike so many episodes.  Here all the characters are just themselves. 

After the Battle of Winterfell and the Night King everything will be different.  So it was appropriately quiet and even reserved.  No yelling, posturing or posing for the sake of spectacle.

Also I liked it because for only the fifth time of countless scenes of sexual action in the entire run of seasons did we have a sexual scene with people who, through their previous experiences together, liked, respected and felt a tendresse for each other. The others were Rob and Talisa, Jon and Daenerys and Grey Worm and Missandei and Sam and Gilly -- though we don't actually see this couple nude, which we do the others, pretty much. These are romantic-sexual connections that were not transactional, which were what Shae and Tyrion's were, for instance, with the consequences that turned out, of course, very badly, for them both. These are couples who are not demanding something beyond a loving, respectful relationship from each other -- though yah, Arya and Gendry -- well, they don't have the time, do they?

I'm not including among these couples, Cersei and Jaime here, or Jon and Ygritte, or Daenerys and Drogo, or Daenerys and Dario, or Renly and -- was it Loris? -- for reasons that would make this post too long.  

Edited by Zorral

This is the first rating thread I have read in a while and I don't think I will bother again.

These folk who try to make themselves look big by saying something was terrible and anyone who liked it must be stupid really look small and petty to me. Only takes a few turds to spoil even the best soup.

14 minutes ago, hallam said:

This is the first rating thread I have read in a while and I don't think I will bother again.

These folk who try to make themselves look big by saying something was terrible and anyone who liked it must be stupid really look small and petty to me. Only takes a few turds to spoil even the best soup.

Game of Thrones Fans: This show's been dumbed down for the masses. We need more dialogue!

Also Game of Thrones Fans: WTF is all this boring filler. Nothing but people talking all episode. 1/10

Personally I really enjoyed the dialogue between the characters, even the comic relief (re: giant's milk and The Hound/ Beric/ Arya). I thought the knighting of Brienne was great and sentimental, even if she pretended she didn't want it at first (Jamie knew her better than that). The conversation between Daenerys and Sansa was interesting too. Everything seemed smooth up until Sansa mentions Northern independance again; that hand of friendship slipped right off and hit the table after that...

Usually, I'm all about dialogue over action, but I guess because the preview from last week made it seem like there would be action this week, I was left a little disappointed. A lot of the dialogue didn't particularly move me, either, but it had its moments: Night's Watch reunion, Brienne being knighted, and possibly my favourite part was Arya & Gendry -- I don't know why so many people are hating on this; it's been a long time coming. For me, Arya was originally my favourite character because I identified with her, so to see her all grown up finally makes me so happy.

I liked it overall, lots of heartwarming moments and some more reunions.
It was however, also quite slow paced. 

I was more forgiving for episode 1 being slow, since the first episode in every season always is.
So with that said, I did expect ...more. This episode felt like an extension of episode 1, not an episode in it's own right.
From a narrative perspective, almost nothing really happened, and now we only got 4 episodes left instead of 5.

So I'm giving it a 6, which is less than I gave episode 1.

8/10

Much better than the last episode. I loved everyone just gathering together and spending the final day before the battle with their friends. I liked the scene between Sansa and Theon, Sophie's acting in the scene was really nice. I also love Jaime and Brienne, I loved it when Brienne defended him and when Jaime knighted her later on - it was my favourite scene in the whole episode. Arya sex scene made me really uncomfortable, I am sure that she and Gendry won't do it in the books.  It's also weird how Dany is made out to be obsessed with the Iron Throne even when the Others are a few hours away from Winterfell... Once she finds out about the Others, surely she would be focused on saving Westeros? But a lot could happen in TWOW to change her outlook completely, but every sane person would be focused on the Others first and foremost, I refuse to believe she will be so obsessed with the Iron Throne, especially when the dead are approaching.

8.5 from me. It was surprisingly good. The dialogue in particular was the best I've seen on this show since Season 4 probably. A bit sappy at times, but compared to last week's cringe it was way better. Best acting in a while too. Even Emilia Clarke was decent.

Edited by David Selig

8ish/10

There was nothing wrong with this episode. Was it the best ever? No, but it was a really great "calm before the storm" episode with some awesome moments: Brienne's knighting, Theon/Sansa, Jaime/Bran and that ending. I love the short of Jorah on horseback outside the walls looking towards the Wolfswood, anticipating the dead.

Come to the realization that most folks are are malcontent pedants

Funny that so many are reluctant, almost disgusted at seeing part of Maisie Williams naked in this episode.

I would like to point out that Maisie was probably 21 when this was filmed.
I would also like to point out that Rosabell Laurenti Sellers, more known as "Tyene Sand", was 19 when she flashed her tits in Season 5.

Food for thought. 

This is one of the best, if not the best, episode since Season 4.  But series wide, it was not a 10.  I gave it an 8.

I have watched the show and read the books.  At the time, the scenes that I initially disliked were the plodding journey's through the kingdoms: Arya and the Hound, Arya and Gendry and Hotpie, Brienne and Pod, Brienne and Jaime, etc. But now I find those some of the most fulfilling scenes.  Especially Brienne and Jaime (and I know I am not in the minority there.)

So, I liked the small nature of this episode.  It was people who were convinced they were going to die, so they were coping with that realization in different ways.  I thought it was beautiful in the slowness. 

Edited by Lady Rhodes
adding clarification.

Gave it a 7, it was a great set up episode most of all that tied up some loose ends in preparation for the main event.

As Gandalf said in the Return of the Kings, it's the deep breath before the plunge! Very well done, certainly better than the season premiere but not in my top 10 either.. 

Edited by Sonoftheharpie

Best episode in years! If not one of the best at all. I finally felt after a long, long time, that these people could be the characters from the books. I felt like George could have written it. Cogman did very, very well. A massive improvement over all of the season 7, or the last week's premiere. It actually made sense how the characters behaved, nothing was eye role inducing, and there was genuine satisfaction if you love Brienne, Jaime, Tormund, Sam etc. I honestly feel that this is the best set up, filler episode they've done so far in all of 8 seasons. Because it was filled with earned and sweet character moments. I mean, Jaime knighting Brienne is for her basically an equivalent of multiple orgasms induced by the person you love the most. Hearing the words arise Brienne, Knight of the seven kingdoms from Jaime's lips is a big O moment for her. What else... Oh, the acting was good! My gods, I can't remember when was the last time I didn't cringe when Sansa or Dany spoke, yet yesterday they were together in a scene and not a cringe was given. Strangely enough, I also saw some chemistry with Jon, when they were in the crypts. The way he held her hand, and that facial expression Kit Harrington did was actually really good. he looked like a man who had his world shattered with the information given, but decided to hell with it, you don't choose who love and even Emilia Clarke played nicely off of that with her shocked, power hungry reaction. Resolution to that story line will be fun to watch after all... As for the brain dead zombies that did not like this episode, they obviously do not understand how good narrative works.

Edited by Han Snow
spelling

39 minutes ago, Han Snow said:

As for the brain dead zombies that did not like this episode, they obviously do not understand how good narrative works.

Why do people who don't see things the same way (whether you liked the episode or hated it) have to be "brain dead" or have inferior education or intellect?  I guess there is no room for discussion?  What's the point of a forum, then?