The Crypt

There has been a lot of chatter about the importance of the crypt and that maybe there's something in the  crypt that will help defeat the army of the dead. There was a lot of conversation and tonight's episode about how safe it is in the crypts. What if it's not that safe? Or, what if Tyrion and Samwell, in the crypt, discover whatever people think is there they would help in the battle? 

8 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

Is Lyanna Stark's body actually in the crypt or just that statue? And where's Rhaegar's body?

Acc. to ADWD, Ned carried Lyannas body/bones back to Winterfell and buried them in the crypt.

Rhaegar's body was either never found or cremated, depending on the source.

5 hours ago, Tara Cicora said:

I think a bigger concern would be that the crypt is filled with dead Starks...who could be resurrected.

I kept thinking about this every time anyone said "go to the crypt, it will be safe there". I was practically yelling at my screen "but it's full of dead people!" I think something bad is going to happen in the crypt and Tyrion and sam will be fighting after all. I don't get how the dead Starks could come back to life to help anyone but the dead army.

9 hours ago, direwoofwoof said:

Or, what if Tyrion and Samwell, in the crypt, discover whatever people think is there they would help in the battle?

Yeah, maybe. Very unclear at the moment.

Sam still has this horn, but I am afraid it will be of no use in the show. But in the books there are so many hints to it.

The wights in front of the cave north of the wall were just bones, and bones separated from the body kept moving in King's Landing. However, they don't seem to reassemble themselves if they've been dismembered. 

There is never a truly safe place in this world, so we know that something is going to happen down there. 

If I recall reading correctly a sword had to be placed on each tomb in the crypt to protect the dead. It was like taboo to remove them. I remember feeling some concern when some swords were taken for use when young Bran and Rickon left the sanctuary of the crypt with Hodor and the other kids Meera and Jojen or thats how I think I remember it. Leaves a few openings for a crypt uprising maybe?

I am really hoping that the crypts are going to be significant this season. I hope it's more than just reanimated dead Starks. But that wouldn't be the worst thing I guess. If it's just a place for women and children (and Varys) to hide....sigh.

Maybe there are just like a 100 dire wolves down there. And we are going to get a giant dire wolf vs dragon fight.

The way that the crypts were talked about in the episode and how "safe" they were lead me to believe that they are probably the most dangerous place for anyone to be.  In the preview for next week someone says "the dead are already here."

Are the bones of the Starks full skeleton?  From what I remember in the episode where Petyr Baelish returned Ned's to Cate they were in a box and not a coffin, not sure if that was the case because Ned was beheaded.  If that is the standard way to bury I am not sure reanimation would be the case it seems once the bones are seperate from the rest of the body of the wrights the wright does not try to get it back and reconnect.  If the bodies are whole then I could see them rising.

3 hours ago, weirwood woman said:

If I recall reading correctly a sword had to be placed on each tomb in the crypt to protect the dead. It was like taboo to remove them. I remember feeling some concern when some swords were taken for use when young Bran and Rickon left the sanctuary of the crypt with Hodor and the other kids Meera and Jojen or thats how I think I remember it. Leaves a few openings for a crypt uprising maybe?

Not just any sword. Swords made of iron. 

5 minutes ago, Larger than Average Finger said:

It seems obvious plan A, to lure the night king to the gods wood and incinerate him will fail

Well, yes, somehow it does. But maybe because he simply doesn't come straight away, but wait for his army to do its damage. 

Or because he arrives on an icy dragon. 

Or because White Walkers are enough to threaten or kill Bran. Or abduct him. Or whatever.

But yes, Plan A is a little bit too simple.

1 hour ago, xander_blackfyre said:

The way that the crypts were talked about in the episode and how "safe" they were lead me to believe that they are probably the most dangerous place for anyone to be.  In the preview for next week someone says "the dead are already here."

Dany said that to Jon, the both of them standing up on the walls. Entirely without context I took that to mean she's making some point about him having been killed once already.

With the foreshadowing and hints that we had, the dead will rise in the crypts, that is a given. I am more curious how it will be handled though. In the only clearly described burial cases (that I can recall both in the books and on TV) it says that only bones are buried there. Unrecognizable hostile skeletons are not that interesting... Having them suddenly be more than bones and therefore recognizable would be close to a continuity error and so somewhat annoying. Then again if they are handled LoTR style as friendly ghosts, I am not quite sure where would that fit into the plot.

In any case, hopefully the little girl with the fire scars is Melisandre and she will deal with everything appropriately :lol: Raise who needs to be raised and burn all the rest of them1.

1More realisticaly the girl is there to be a reason for Davos to get killed.

Archived